• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

In Over Their Heads

I think the assistants could probably get by with being half as good as they are, if they bring in recruits twice as good as the former staff's.

I read that a Nebraska assistant coach back in the 90s said that great recruits can cover a designed play mistake that the coach might make.

We do have stability pal..we are consistently bad :(

I don’t think we can even say that. The first half of the Colorado game, we were firing on all cylinders. Second half, not so much. The Illinois game we didn’t start playing until the fourth quarter. Once we did start, we were able to execute.

of course, by stability, I am referring to having a freshman taught the same schemes by the same coaches from his freshman year until he graduates. We might be surprised at how well the lad would play with a whole team of seniors who had that same experience.

Or we could keep rolling the dice and hoping if finally works out. I am not a fan of the theory that I, as a fan, am not happy with the current snapshot of the team so I demand some pagan sacrifice be made by firing an assistant.

The last time we tried the assistant coach sacrifice ritual, the head coach appeased the masses and we got Bob Diaco. That was a complete waste of a season’s worth of potential development for every defensive player in the system.

DB's are clearly the strong-suit of our team, but I'm beating a dead horse with that one. Special teams and OL have been generally atrocious.
I don't really pay close enough attention to the other team's assistant coaches to even take a guess at who HCSF could approach as new OL coach. Anyone have any insight on this?

Saban loses staff all the time and keeps the engine moving in the right direction, and he will not hesitate to fire a coach midseason. It works at that level why is it people think it doesn't happen. B1G coaches even make coaching changes Ohio St, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota. Hiring friends and coaching can be the biggest downfall of a head coach. Business and friendship need to be separated or why do you have to pay for the friendship?

Saban loses staff all the time and keeps the engine moving in the right direction, and he will not hesitate to fire a coach midseason. It works at that level why is it people think it doesn't happen. B1G coaches even make coaching changes Ohio St, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota. Hiring friends and coaching can be the biggest downfall of a head coach. Business and friendship need to be separated or why do you have to pay for the friendship?
Saban was an average coach when he has average players. (Mich St)

With the classes he has recruited at Bama Saban could make the playoffs with Diaco as DC and Smiley as the OC!

Saban has in the past, basically booted players that didn’t pan out, with supposedly medical issues, pulled scholarship offers when players were injured during their senior year of HS.

Look at some of his recruiting numbers. Some how over for many years.

Now I maybe wrong about Saban... but confident he needed some time / experience before he figured it out.

His early success was due to cheating the system and gaining more recruits.

Frost has integrity like Tom - so doubtful any assistants get fired or any offers get pulled, or players are offed by medical issues to add recruiting spots.

Rant/ off

I don't believe anyone is in over the heads. However they are still learning. Had an interesting discussion with an ex-player yesterday who has also had a couple of sons play. You figure out who it is.....but he gave me a real time perspective of some of the learning challenges this team is facing due to coaching issues. All of us need to put in perspective what is right in front of us. The performance of this team is unfortunately primarily coaching. There are some personnel issues that that are preventing us from prevailing at our capacity but right now the reason we seem to be broken down at almost every player position is coaching and accountability. Accountability is on HCSF. They will get better and it might take some coaching changes but SF has to get better in holding players accountable on and off the field. He can't just talk the talk of culture change. He might need more sweeping changes.

The best example is Maurice Washington. Retaining him on the team has gone against everything the SF culture was meant to do and has had an affect on a lot of other players perspective. The bottom line is fellow players are saying to themselves that if a guy can have all that legal trouble, miss classes and show up smelling like pot to everything he does and get away with it...…..why should I have to follow the rules. There are similar examples spread across this team both on and off the field. Right now this staff is tip toeing across a very rocky ledge trying to balance players who still haven't bought in and their need to keep depth on the roster.
Do you know that for sure [bolded] or is this conjecture?

I am wondering if maybe going super fast in practice and not taking the time to coach then and instead opting to coach in the meeting rooms is having an adverse effect. When SF and some assistants talked to that last year it did get my attention.

C

It's not a mutually exclusive situation. You can be friends and also work together well. These guys didn't just all of a sudden forget how to coach. And the Big 10 isn't some mystical conference where they play a magical brand of football.

Given Dewitt was out with cancer therapy, I'm not going there with him yet. Austin, I can understand the concern. With Chinander, I believe I see a lot of good calls but not so good execution. I believe you need dawg LBs and we just don't have them, particularly on the outside, and it kills our D. jury still out.

Fisher is good, Tuioti has impressed. I have not been impressed with Held on field, recruiting he is our best. Walters, jury is still out with me, same with Beckton, I expected more from the TEs.

I don't believe anyone is in over the heads. However they are still learning. Had an interesting discussion with an ex-player yesterday who has also had a couple of sons play. You figure out who it is.....but he gave me a real time perspective of some of the learning challenges this team is facing due to coaching issues. All of us need to put in perspective what is right in front of us. The performance of this team is unfortunately primarily coaching. There are some personnel issues that that are preventing us from prevailing at our capacity but right now the reason we seem to be broken down at almost every player position is coaching and accountability. Accountability is on HCSF. They will get better and it might take some coaching changes but SF has to get better in holding players accountable on and off the field. He can't just talk the talk of culture change. He might need more sweeping changes.

The best example is Maurice Washington. Retaining him on the team has gone against everything the SF culture was meant to do and has had an affect on a lot of other players perspective. The bottom line is fellow players are saying to themselves that if a guy can have all that legal trouble, miss classes and show up smelling like pot to everything he does and get away with it...…..why should I have to follow the rules. There are similar examples spread across this team both on and off the field. Right now this staff is tip toeing across a very rocky ledge trying to balance players who still haven't bought in and their need to keep depth on the roster.
As I was reading the first page I was thinking, it isn’t an inability to coach football, something is broken in the program and our problem is beyond whether we have talent or our coaches can coach. We aren’t a great team and maybe not the best coaching staff, but we aren’t as bad as the level we are underachieving to.
I think Frost is afraid of a possible dip if he cleans house of troublemakers and possible attrition if he rules with an iron fist. He knows he needs playmakers to do what he wants. We are paying for it through a lack of team cohesiveness.
I don’t think coaches should be fired. A philosophy change of some sort may be in order.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back