• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Big Board?

See if I can go off what I remember...

QB - 1 - and we are good with Smothers

RB - 2 - We have two committed with Morrison and Scott. I could see this bumping to 3 commits if we lose Bradley or Washington

WR - 3 - 5 - We have Betts and Nixon already committed, with Nixon who could do a bit like Robinson and play some RB. Betts also is an academic risk. If they aren't looking for a JUCO i'd be concerned. You lose Noa, Williams, Woodyard, McQuitty probably won't stick around, Andre Hunt is off the team, and Miles Jones barely getting any reps. I'd take 3 more if I were Nebraska, but who knows what quality is sitting around.

TE - 1 - Nebraska feels good about their TE room, but they felt better about it when they had LeGrone still in the fold. It's not where you are now, but where you are in 2 or 3 years. I still think we only take 1 guy.

OL - Gaylord is the only senior and he may get a medical redshirt. 2 guys committed that are pretty good. They probably are honing in on just one more guy, but maybe one more on top of that if people like Will Farniok get upset and take off, or Raridon wants to go play somewhere his senior year.

NG - 2- This position scares the heck out of me for 2020. Got Nash and just got Black on board. Would assume we are done unless there's a JUCO or a grad transfer for help.

DE - 3 - Lose Daniels, Davis, Davis, Vainuku, and Neal. That's five. Would think we want to bring 3 in here to replace those guys. Throw in Walker who may never contribute and that's 6 we need to recruit for. Still at zero commits as we need to keep Gunnerson at OLB.

OLB - 3 - Have Gunnerson, want Kaden Johnson, probably should grab another one too in case something funky happens at this position like Domann transferring or moving Nelson down to DE. Plus this position has been our achilles heel. I'm actually surprised more people aren't jumping at the chance to come play for us. We have some early playing time available.

ILB - 2 - We had a really good class last year, and Rodney Groce committed. Need one more for sure and that depends what they do with guys like Hannah or Snodgrass. Do they move any of them to OLB?

DB - 4 or 5 - Lose Jackson, Lee, Anderson, Stovall, so we return some good players. Have Gray and Lynum committed. Probably need another safety and another corner.

The estimate seems to be that Nebraska will sign a class in the 22-25 range. But there are several guys that could decide to transfer that could change that number, I think you covered all of them.

I agree. I could see Frost taking another RB. Bradley transferring would be a nice thing. He's a nonfactor and he'd free up a scholarship. Along with that, Ronald Thompkins is a guy with two reconstructed knees who has already undergone surgery on one of them in his first two months on campus. Mills will be a senior and after that (with Thompkins a question mark), you don't have a true RB. You've got guys who are "weapons" or Duck-R's or 3rd down style backs like Wan'Dale (when you play him there) Washington (who might not be in Lincoln for his entire career) and Rahmir Johnson. Sevion Morrison isn't the biggest guy. Marvin Scott fits that mold, but you don't want just one guy like that on your roster.

Nebraska is in good shape with Omar Manning, which is huge for them. That dude would start Day 1. At this point, it'd be a bit of a gut punch if you don't seal the deal with him. They could use at least one more, but likely two and they should be targeting guys like Darien Chase and Zavier Betts, who are taller, more traditional outside WR's who aren't slot/Duck-R types.

With about 10 spots left, I would personally skip a TE this year. I would earmark that spot for the LB spot or DB spot.

I'm with you on the D-line. That position group looks thin and inexperienced. Deontre Thomas, Damion Daniels and Jahkeem Green are probably your starting trio next year. Then you're hoping to get meaningful reps from guys like Ty Robinson, Casey Rogers, Tate Wildeman and Mosai Newsom. All of them are complete unknowns. Depending on how things shake out at NG, you might have to burn a needed RS on a guy like Nash Hutmacher, which would be unfortunate cause that kid needs a year at least to develop. He's raw and needs a lot of fundamental work. The staff could probably use another juco NG if they plan to play Green at DE.

I think Nebraska needs to sign 5-6 LB'ers. Like you said, Henrich, Hannah and Snodgrass could end up outside, plus a guy like Myles Farmer might be a really good looking Cinco 'backer at about 225-pounds.

Fisher is doing a great job of building his room with his kind of guys. They have Henry Gray, who is like Quinton Newsome in that he could project to corner or safety. Delancy and Lynum are CB prospects, so yeah, they'll probably want a safety target in this class with an eye on another guy if he's too good to pass up. The only person they lose that matters is Lamar Jackson, so you've got a pretty young group that will have a couple years of grooming and cross-training before they are really counted on. Guys who still don't have a for-sure spot defined quite yet. Farmer could be an OLB, Javin Wright probably slides to safety from CB, Noa Pola-Gates is playing all over and is probably best suited at nickel.

The estimate seems to be that Nebraska will sign a class in the 22-25 range. But there are several guys that could decide to transfer that could change that number, I think you covered all of them.

I agree. I could see Frost taking another RB. Bradley transferring would be a nice thing. He's a nonfactor and he'd free up a scholarship. Along with that, Ronald Thompkins is a guy with two reconstructed knees who has already undergone surgery on one of them in his first two months on campus. Mills will be a senior and after that (with Thompkins a question mark), you don't have a true RB. You've got guys who are "weapons" or Duck-R's or 3rd down style backs like Wan'Dale (when you play him there) Washington (who might not be in Lincoln for his entire career) and Rahmir Johnson. Sevion Morrison isn't the biggest guy. Marvin Scott fits that mold, but you don't want just one guy like that on your roster.

Nebraska is in good shape with Omar Manning, which is huge for them. That dude would start Day 1. At this point, it'd be a bit of a gut punch if you don't seal the deal with him. They could use at least one more, but likely two and they should be targeting guys like Darien Chase and Zavier Betts, who are taller, more traditional outside WR's who aren't slot/Duck-R types.

With about 10 spots left, I would personally skip a TE this year. I would earmark that spot for the LB spot or DB spot.

I'm with you on the D-line. That position group looks thin and inexperienced. Deontre Thomas, Damion Daniels and Jahkeem Green are probably your starting trio next year. Then you're hoping to get meaningful reps from guys like Ty Robinson, Casey Rogers, Tate Wildeman and Mosai Newsom. All of them are complete unknowns. Depending on how things shake out at NG, you might have to burn a needed RS on a guy like Nash Hutmacher, which would be unfortunate cause that kid needs a year at least to develop. He's raw and needs a lot of fundamental work. The staff could probably use another juco NG if they plan to play Green at DE.

I think Nebraska needs to sign 5-6 LB'ers. Like you said, Henrich, Hannah and Snodgrass could end up outside, plus a guy like Myles Farmer might be a really good looking Cinco 'backer at about 225-pounds.

Fisher is doing a great job of building his room with his kind of guys. They have Henry Gray, who is like Quinton Newsome in that he could project to corner or safety. Delancy and Lynum are CB prospects, so yeah, they'll probably want a safety target in this class with an eye on another guy if he's too good to pass up. The only person they lose that matters is Lamar Jackson, so you've got a pretty young group that will have a couple years of grooming and cross-training before they are really counted on. Guys who still don't have a for-sure spot defined quite yet. Farmer could be an OLB, Javin Wright probably slides to safety from CB, Noa Pola-Gates is playing all over and is probably best suited at nickel.
Fisher is doing so well, I really wasn't sure about him from a couple different fronts, but recruiting and development look outstanding.

Beckton was told he was given the OK to get another TE this class despite having a loaded room, then LeGrone happened so I think that may be the case again. But to your point, I wonder if they are telling him "don't push it, gotta be someone we feel good about."

I think you gotta get another JUCO or grad transfer NG again, otherwise you are moving a DE down or asking Damion Daniels to play 60 snaps with a freshman spelling him. As of right now i'd assume Nash Hutmatcher isn't redshirting even though I don't think he will be quite ready.

Do we have any shot at getting Betts to flip to us?

We can take 28. But so much will depend on what guys like McQuitty, Bradley, Farniok, and others do.
The bolded plus in your other post, you said, "......funky happens at this position like Domann transferring....." I don't see Domann going anywhere, so you saying that totally surprised me....the others? Maybe.........what does your gut (or inside sources) tell you?

Fisher is doing so well, I really wasn't sure about him from a couple different fronts, but recruiting and development look outstanding.

Beckton was told he was given the OK to get another TE this class despite having a loaded room, then LeGrone happened so I think that may be the case again. But to your point, I wonder if they are telling him "don't push it, gotta be someone we feel good about."

I think you gotta get another JUCO or grad transfer NG again, otherwise you are moving a DE down or asking Damion Daniels to play 60 snaps with a freshman spelling him. As of right now i'd assume Nash Hutmatcher isn't redshirting even though I don't think he will be quite ready.
Was it ever determined what LeGrone and Hunt did to get suspended? And can I assume neither are on campus anymore?

The bolded plus in your other post, you said, "......funky happens at this position like Domann transferring....." I don't see Domann going anywhere, so you saying that totally surprised me....the others? Maybe.........what does your gut (or inside sources) tell you?
I think he meant transferring to another position.

(I hope)

Last edited:

I think anything is possible. I think if we go 5-7 instead of getting to a bowl you could see some juniors take off to grad transfer losing faith. 6-6 could even see that happen. Domann is just rumors, probably a little bit of truth to it but not as much as is being speculated. I won't worry about him until it's necessary.

Was it ever determined what LeGrone and Hunt did to get suspended? And can I assume neither are on campus anymore?
I believe they are still on campus just not involved with team activities until something definitive happens. Speculating there as i try not to pry in those situations.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back