• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Let's play some freshmen!

OK - you have 5 games left in the regular season and 1 potential bowl game ... so 6 total games left.

How do you tell Jaimes for example ... Benhart is going to start over you for Indiana and Purdue but not against Wisconsin and Iowa?

And that is for guys who haven't been used in any games whatsoever.

If we use freshmen against Indiana I think you have to do so with the intention of burning their redshirts. If you wait to do this after Purdue but before Wisconsin then you might have a legit argument to use/start freshmen over the incumbents.

Lastly - it is more important to me that in most cases the redshirt be preserved than it would be to find some playing time for them between now and the end of the season.

OK - you have 5 games left in the regular season and 1 potential bowl game ... so 6 total games left.

How do you tell Jaimes for example ... Benhart is going to start over you for Indiana and Purdue but not against Wisconsin and Iowa?

And that is for guys who haven't been used in any games whatsoever.

If we use freshmen against Indiana I think you have to do so with the intention of burning their redshirts. If you wait to do this after Purdue but before Wisconsin then you might have a legit argument to use/start freshmen over the incumbents.

Lastly - it is more important to me that in most cases the redshirt be preserved than it would be to find some playing time for them between now and the end of the season.

Respectfully disagree, we don't have 6 games remaining if we don't win 2 more, you play your best guys to win 2 more, so pick the games that are most winnable and play the freshman accordingly, and yes, you sit them for one or 2 games as needed to preserve redshirt if that's been the game plan. Like I said, playing them against Wisconsin is probably a wasted game at this point. Everyone benefits if they go to a bowl game regardless of whether they get to play or not, via extra practices, bowl experience, etc.

Respectfully disagree, we don't have 6 games remaining if we don't win 2 more, you play your best guys to win 2 more, so pick the games that are most winnable and play the freshman accordingly, and yes, you sit them for one or 2 games as needed to preserve redshirt if that's been the game plan. Like I said, playing them against Wisconsin is probably a wasted game at this point. Everyone benefits if they go to a bowl game regardless of whether they get to play or not, via extra practices, bowl experience, etc.
I just don't know how you'd manage that!

Whether you have 6 games left or 5 games left it is still more than the 4 game maximum to maintain a red-shirt.

You've been the starting LT for 1-1/2 years ... but he comes a freshman to take your job but you're going to be asked to play in a game that we know we're going to likely lose.

This will dissolve a team faster than a Bo Pelini players-only meeting!

I just don't know how you'd manage that!

Whether you have 6 games left or 5 games left it is still more than the 4 game maximum to maintain a red-shirt.

You've been the starting LT for 1-1/2 years ... but he comes a freshman to take your job but you're going to be asked to play in a game that we know we're going to likely lose.

This will dissolve a team faster than a Bo Pelini players-only meeting!
Why can't someone like a Benhart spell Jaimes or Farniok for a few series in the Indiana, Purdue, and/or Maryland games . That still gets the frosh some work while keeping your starter - who needs to play against the big heavies of Wiscy and Iowa - sharp and motivated? It's not black and white. We used to sub all the time. It's not a new concept.

Last edited:

Who are the frosh that we want to see? Luke McCaffrey, Bryce Benhart, any WR, ILB, OLB...

BTW, what's the deal with all the people with First and Last names that start with B on this team? I think someone in recruiting has been reading too many comic books (Billy Batson, Bruce Banner)

People who need to see the field:

Jamir Green: Has three games left to still RS
Ty Robinson: 4 Games
Garret Snodgrass: 4 games
Mosai Newsome: 4 games
Rahmir Johnson: 3 games
jackson Hannah: 4 games
Bryce Benhart: 2/3 games (Not sure)
Jamine Graham 4 games

These people have had fall camp plus 7 games of practices, should be ready to contribute to some degree at this point.

O-line:
Bando has got to see at least 50% of the snaps at some position.

*** lists John Raridon in the Top 12 of the most skilled players on offense at DONU. Why is he not gutting snaps if this is true?
MY o-line for Indiana:
LT: JAimes
LG: Raridon/Wilson
C: Jurgens
RG: Farniok
RT: Bando

GBR

Why can't someone like a Benhart spell Jaimes or Farniok for a few series in the Indiana, Purdue, and/or Maryland games . That still gets the frosh some work while keeping your starter - who needs to play against the big heavies of Wiscy and Iowa - sharp and motivated? It's not black and white. We used to sub all the time. It's not a new concept.
Because you don't necessarily want Benhart losing his redshirt.

Because you don't necessarily want Benhart losing his redshirt.
I'm not saying he has to. Just have him play four games to get some experience under his belt and to give the coaches an idea of how far a way he is from taking possession of the position. Like you, I'd prefer they not burn his Redshirt. But I see no problem with getting the maximum 4 games in either ... without hurting Jaimes's psyche or having an effect on team morale. I'm just not sure what your concern is

Personally, I'd rather start many of the highest rated Freshman AGAINST Wisky and Iowa as two of their four games because I want them to play against the best players in the conference so they can see what they will be going up against in the next four years.Gear up guys. Look, we aren't going to beat Wisky and Iowa playing like we have been with the current players, especially in the OL. Lets get some of these Freshman some great looks at the opposing teams and see what they have.

Article in the world herald talks about this same thing, giving anyone a chance who wants to play, redshirts be damned.
I agree with the redshirts be damned. I mean, if a kid can play at this level, get his ass on the field. If he needs time to develop, fine, leave the redshirt. Saving them just to save them is garbage. This is a win now game. Isn’t anyone just tired of all the losing?

Hell, I’ve found myself losing interest. I still pay attention and watch, but it’s nothing like what it used to be. Maybe that’s part old age but I think it’s just tired of seeing them get their ass kicked by lesser teams time after time. I don’t even worry about the Alabama’s, the Clemsons, Ohio State, OU (although we play them in less than 2 years), any of them. Just beat the teams you should then you can worry about them later. Geez, this team just can’t get out of its own way, no matter who the coach is.

Last edited:
I would keep Benhart's redshirt. Need to build this dang o-line up in the future, and a possible full 5th year with him sounds better than using him too much in a 5 to 7 win year. Same thing applies to McCaffery. Play guys like that up to 4 games, for sure, but keep their shirts. Guys like Rahmir at RB, play him a lot the next few games and find out what you have. One thing that has always driven me nuts over the years regardless of who the coach is...they'll bring a freshman skill player in for a few plays here and there and that's it. Get those guys the ball and let's actually find out fairly quickly what they can and can't do. I want to see if Rahmir has the speed I've read about from high school not to mention they need depth there.

I would keep Benhart's redshirt. Need to build this dang o-line up in the future, and a possible full 5th year with him sounds better than using him too much in a 5 to 7 win year. Same thing applies to McCaffery. Play guys like that up to 4 games, for sure, but keep their shirts. Guys like Rahmir at RB, play him a lot the next few games and find out what you have. One thing that has always driven me nuts over the years regardless of who the coach is...they'll bring a freshman skill player in for a few plays here and there and that's it. Get those guys the ball and let's actually find out fairly quickly what they can and can't do. I want to see if Rahmir has the speed I've read about from high school not to mention they need depth there.
Lol. McCaffrey won’t be here in year 5. If they can play, play them. If they can actually help you now, play them. If the talent gets like most of us would like, the really good ones will only be here 3 years. Play them. Find out who shines when 90k are screaming and the lights are on. Simple as that. Hell, you might have a damn gamer you didn’t know you had.

Raridon had a problem with his head bobbling around like a bobblehead toy during the spring. He also was pretty weak. I cannot imagine he's suddenly fixed all that as he did it every play in the spring. He's a scout teamer.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back