• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Schemey Schmemy

Huskerhunter

Red Shirt
10 Year Member
Lurker got this going in another thread, but it has me so worked up I wanted to make it a thread:

From SF"s last presser:

“We talked this morning about getting better at fundamentals and basic things,”
I’m happy to hear this, but aren’t they working on fundamentals a good portion of the year? This team has shown poor basics for the first 7 games.

I agree, this drives me nuts. Are we trying to run some sort of exotic scheme on both sides of the ball to the detriment of "the basics?" If so, why? Until you can Block (or shed a block), Tackle, take good angles, play your assignment and fit your gaps THERE IS NOTHING ELSE. It doesn't do any good to stretch the defense and make them defend the whole field with exotic 'weapons' if you can't sustain blocks.

Frost has admitted relying too much on being "schemey." I am reminded of the great Lombardi teams that ran very few plays, and the defense knew what was coming, but they executed so well it didn't matter. Gain 3.333 yards 3 times. Repeat. Score a touchdown.

Also, my wife when she hears this says, "Really? Most all of these guys have been playing football since 4th grade. How is it possible that they knew how to play football in High School to the extent that we offered a scholarship but now somehow have forgotten the basics of how to play football?" I know there's more too it at the next level but COME ON!

Lurker got this going in another thread, but it has me so worked up I wanted to make it a thread:

From SF"s last presser:

I agree, this drives me nuts. Are we trying to run some sort of exotic scheme on both sides of the ball to the detriment of "the basics?" If so, why? Until you can Block (or shed a block), Tackle, take good angles, play your assignment and fit your gaps THERE IS NOTHING ELSE. It doesn't do any good to stretch the defense and make them defend the whole field with exotic 'weapons' if you can't sustain blocks.

Frost has admitted relying too much on being "schemey." I am reminded of the great Lombardi teams that ran very few plays, and the defense knew what was coming, but they executed so well it didn't matter. Gain 3.333 yards 3 times. Repeat. Score a touchdown.

Also, my wife when she hears this says, "Really? Most all of these guys have been playing football since 4th grade. How is it possible that they knew how to play football in High School to the extent that we offered a scholarship but now somehow have forgotten the basics of how to play football?" I know there's more too it at the next level but COME ON!
Would you rather him said what he's really thinking? Probably something along the lines of our upperclassmen are terrible and whoever recruited them had his head up his ass?

Frost's system relies on precision in execution. When you step into the role of FBS Head Coach, you assume that the players you're inheriting at least know the fundamentals of the game. You assume that the previous guy at least taught them how to tackle or get their hands up in the air to block a FG.

I don't see Frost as one to be the assumptive type, but I have to think that there were certain things he took for granted about the Riley tenure. From the outside looking in, I always assumed Riley was able to get decent talent and teach decent schemes, but that we were just getting over matched on the field.

As hindsight becomes 20/20, I'm realizing more and more that the Riley years were basically a vacation from everything Nebraska stood for. Sure, we did certain things right - the attitudes, reaching out to former players, embracing walkons - but it was lip service. Underneath the covers, it was a free-for-all and coaches were simply phoning it in for the better part of three years.

With the sloppy play, piss-poor results, lack of bowls, gaps in recruiting and overall level of apathy that surrounded the program, we might as well have gotten the SMU Death Penalty. Make no mistake, Mike Riley was a sheep in wolf's clothing. The guy acted the part of a riverboat gambler who wanted one last go-round with a big name program before he retired, but the truth is simply that he was a sheep. Mayberry RFD. Clueless about big time, major P5 football.

The guy probably gives one hell of an interview. And Eichorst bit.

Last edited:
Would you rather him said what he's really thinking? Probably something along the lines of our upperclassmen are terrible and whoever recruited them had his head up his ass?

Right. We heard that last year. Now I'm told our woes are due to the absence of Ozigbo, Morgan, etc. As I said elsewhere, if we're laying these turds next year I'll wait for someone to tell me how much we miss one of this year's good for nothing no talent upper classmen.

From SF"s last presser:

You have 2 hours per day to get everything done ... in today's limited contact environment ... with a relatively new coaching staff (new scheme, new system, new language/nomenclature ... you can't do everything. They've got to work on situational stuff as well as game-specific stuff as well.

I suspect they rarely go one's-on-one's anymore, depth is already limited.

Practice philosophies are all different but I just don't think there is time to do everything.

I suspect there's always so fundamental coaching going on ... but this week - with no game to prepare for therefore no game install time required ... they can go back and focus on fundamentals.

Frost's system relies on precision in execution. When you step into the role of FBS Head Coach, you assume that the players you're inheriting at least know the fundamentals of the game. You assume that the previous guy at least taught them how to tackle or get their hands up in the air to block a FG.

I don't see Frost as one to be the assumptive type, but I have to think that there were certain things he took for granted about the Riley tenure. From the outside looking in, I always assumed Riley was able to get decent talent and teach decent schemes, but that we were just getting over matched on the field.

As hindsight becomes 20/20, I'm realizing more and more that the Riley years were basically a vacation from everything Nebraska stood for. Sure, we did certain things right - the attitudes, reaching out to former players, embracing walkons - but it was lip service. Underneath the covers, it was a free-for-all and coaches were simply phoning it in for the better part of three years.

With the sloppy play, piss-poor results, lack of bowls, gaps in recruiting and overall level of apathy that surrounded the program, we might as well have gotten the SMU Death Penalty. Make no mistake, Mike Riley was a sheep in wolf's clothing. The guy acted the part of a riverboat gambler who wanted one last go-round with a big name program before he retired, but the truth is simply that he was a sheep. Mayberry RFD. Clueless about big time, major P5 football.

I have a hard time 2 years into SF's tenure blaming the lack of fundamentals on Riley's regime. I think a bigger issue is that SF and Nebraska are playing a lot of young players because of the turnover from coaching transition. There is a dearth of juniors and seniors from the 2-deep due to kids having left the last couple of years.

I have a hard time 2 years into SF's tenure blaming the lack of fundamentals on Riley's regime. I think a bigger issue is that SF and Nebraska are playing a lot of young players because of the turnover from coaching transition. There is a dearth of juniors and seniors from the 2-deep due to kids having left the last couple of years.
I agree, Rileys best recruiting class according to Rivals was his last one (currently our junior class) and 6 of the 7 4*s have left the program. If you re-ranked that class, they're at the bottom of the Big 10 that year.

That makes more sense to me than "it was the last guy's laziness". However, the last guy didn't leave many properly developed Jr's and Sr's. Next year Nebraska will have some 3rd year Sophomores and Juniors that will have been in the program for long enough that late bloomers can bloom. Maybe that's the corner? Who knows.

I don't disagree, although I'd say that even some of our upperclassmen are playing with sloppy technique.

I'm not blaming the entirety of our problems on Riley, but a combination of older guys (sloppy technique) and younger guys (no technique established) is hurting us big time. Maybe even bigly.

bigly-51-300x199.png

And a year and 1/2 later they are really no better? My god what a fragile bunch. There are no SF recruits playing? maybe SF should get them in there ASAP

Reactions: RMR

I’m a SF fan. I thought he was/is the man to right this ship. I’m still onboard, but damn, this team stinks, STINKS. 5 games left, let’s see if he can get this team playing with some passion, some fire, some focus. Still a chance to still salvage a very good season, but this cry baby wahh attitude, that there is no talent, is crap. Those are just excuses. Get these players playing to the height of their capabilities. The wins will come.

Last edited:

From SF"s last presser:

Yep. Of all the issues right now, this is the one that drives me up the wall. I just don't get it. Maybe it's just cakch speak to satisfy the masses, but it we've been getting that bs coach speak for 18 years now. Just level with us.

I just read the below forum input for IU on Nebraska: Doesn't look like they're too concerned abut playing us.

"With Nebraska,it isn't only the Minnesota game and how they were dominated by the Minnesota running game. If you saw them the week before against Northwestern, they struggled against a team that was down to their 3rd String Quarterback and generating virtually no offense.They were lucky to win on a last second field goal."

"Nothing I've seen of Nebraska this season has impressed me a bit. Blowing the lead at CU, barely generating an offense vs NU or Minny, and they looked as bad, maybe worse than IU vs OSU. Will need to play well there, but winnable if IU can. "

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back