• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

We Are a Bad Football Team

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date
Hate to type those words, but it's true and we just might as well admit where we are.

Don't want to hear excuses about Jurgens, the O-line, injuries, needing the right players, etc. 18 games in, we should not be this bad.

Terrible tackling
Terrible effort
The team looks disinterested and defeated out there. They look scared. They look ill-prepared.

Minnesota isn't doing anything special. They just keep punching us in the mouth and we are on our heels.

It's just terrible all around and I'm disappointed most in the effort and laziness out there. I never thought I'd say that about a Frost coached team.

No fear of failure doesn't seem to be ringing true. Aside from a couple players, everyone else looks scared.

So disappointing.
Until we commit to a rushing game we will continue to get punched in the mouth. We've been piddling around for 20 years now. Committ to having a 100 yard rusher every game to start, it has to start there, period. All the top programs have 100 yard rushers week in and week out. That's where you begin building a culture of winning.

Last edited:

Bad offense, defense, special teams...
Poor effort, poor coaching...

We will be fortunate to get a single win the remainder of the year. Scott needs to evaluate his staff and program from top to bottom and make some tough, but needed, decisions.

I hate to jump on this post, but it's incredibly shortsighted. When guys pop off with 'we need to can this guy or that guy, and find someone who can coach', they obviously don't realize that coaches develop just like players. Milt was struggling with his line play for a few years, and there were calls for him to be canned, but he made some changes, got some help, and we rode arguably the most dominant OLines for years after those adjustments. McBride couldn't stop OU or our Bowl opponents, and the game had past him by. Instead of canning him looking for greener pastures, we made some changes that took a couple of seasons to complete, and what did we get? A super aggressive defense that brought us multiple NCs. And I'd like to point out that these issues came well into their careers, not in the first 5 or 10 years of them.

Greg Austin knows how to coach. Troy Walters knows how to coach. Barrett Ruud knows the position. Tell us who you think isn't capable of developing and improving at their craft to the point they need to be replaced? This 'tough, but needed, decisions' line is about as knee jerk and frankly silly, as I've read in a while.

Last edited:
I hate to jump on this post, but it's incredibly shortsighted. When guys pop off with 'we need to can this guy or that guy, and find someone who can coach', they obviously don't realize that coaches develop just like players. Milt was struggling with his line play for a few years, and there were calls for him to be canned, but he made some changes, got some help, and we rode arguably the most dominant OLines for years after those adjustments. McBride couldn't stop OU or our Bowl opponents, and the game had past him by. Instead of canning him looking for greener pastures, we made some changes that took a couple of seasons to complete, and what did we get? A super aggressive defense that brought us multiple NCs.

Greg Austin knows how to coach. Troy Walters knows how to coach. Barrett Ruud knows the position. Tell us who you think isn't capable of developing and improving at their craft to the point they need to be replaced? This 'tough, but needed, decisions' line is about as knee jerk and frankly silly, as I've read in a while.

we want instant gratification, but it ain’t happening. Not with this team and program in its current state.

The program has been the model of instability over the last 18 years. 5 coaches (every 3.3 years). Offensively, we ahve gone from option/running football to WCO, to spread/zone read-ish, to a more traditional NFL-style offense, back to a spread. We have gone from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and have had by my count 7 defensive coordinators since 2002.

I think our recruiting is overrated.

In 2015, 4 of our top 5 recruits are either out of the program or backups
In 2016, 5 of our top 10 recruits are out of the program
In 2017, 4 of our top 5 recruits are out of the program

So, once you account for that, while on signing day we won the West, I'm not sure that really pans out on paper.

I agree with you about the Solich curse although I think this snowball started to run downhill in 2001 in Boulder when we got stomped by Colorado. We lost our mojo that day.

Anyway, this is a shell of the program. There are so many holes on the team it is hard to comprehend. The OL needs a total overhaul. We need WRs and LBs in the worst possible way. I love Mo Berry's fire, but he's not a very good linebacker. Honas is fair. Alex Davis shouldn't be playing football.

Frost needs five more years, minimum. The program craves stability and frankly, if he fails, I don't know where the program goes.

I have to guard my expectations. I don't think any of the changes that have happened in college football over the last 30 years have been to Nebraska's favor. The geographic disadvantage facing the Huskers is daunting.

This is a strong, fair analysis. Very well done. I also think that we need to keep in mind that Moos saw this coming. He gave SF a 7-year contract, in part because he knew it would take that long. While the majority of Husker Nation was predicting 9-10 wins and a B1G Championship Game, Moos said 6 wins and a bowl game. The CU loss took a lot of my enthusiasm for this season. This game compounds it. But, I’m going to trust in Moos’ and SF’s big picture. This season is an investment in our future.

Keep the faith. GBR.

Last edited:

Wondering just how bad we are! Do we fix one side of the ball first? Or just kinda stumble along cause right now it looks like there isnt much we CAN do.
You fix everything. It is an everything issue. Its a perfect opportunity to build fraternity and a sense of personal responsibility this next two weeks.

Which one? Indiana looks like our best hope, but even that one is iffy. Sadly, it is an absolute MUST win, if we hope to make a bowl game.
Indiana will throttle us if we continue to play lousy DL technique. Maryland isn't playing particularly well right now. We are still in position to win more than one game. Getting good play from EVERY position is essential.

Wondering just how bad we are! Do we fix one side of the ball first? Or just kinda stumble along cause right now it looks like there isnt much we CAN do.

This team is supposed to live and die by the offense, but until yesterday I thought the defense was a strength. I would think Frost could at the very least improve the offenses consistency and decrease it's reliability on just a few players and he might have to. Don't know what Martinez' or Robinson's health looks like right now. Based on that, defense might have to carry the load the rest of the way out, which is concerning.

I certainly don't think all is lost, but I'll be very surprised if this team wins more than two games the rest of the way.

I hate to jump on this post, but it's incredibly shortsighted. When guys pop off with 'we need to can this guy or that guy, and find someone who can coach', they obviously don't realize that coaches develop just like players. Milt was struggling with his line play for a few years, and there were calls for him to be canned, but he made some changes, got some help, and we rode arguably the most dominant OLines for years after those adjustments. McBride couldn't stop OU or our Bowl opponents, and the game had past him by. Instead of canning him looking for greener pastures, we made some changes that took a couple of seasons to complete, and what did we get? A super aggressive defense that brought us multiple NCs. And I'd like to point out that these issues came well into their careers, not in the first 5 or 10 years of them.

This is what we have to hope for....that Frost and his staff will develop over time. It has become clear that Scott Frost is no where close to being an elite head coach at this time. But he isn't going anywhere, so we have to hope that he will develop over time and the same thing for his coaching staff. With the exception of Tuioti, I don't believe that anyone on that staff including S&C have ever held similar positions in a P5 program. So some of them may be in over their heads right now. It will be up to Frost to determine which of them can learn to swim in the P5 environment, and then change out any that can not.

But in the meantime, all we can do as fans is continue to support the program with our attendance and donations.

This is what we have to hope for....that Frost and his staff will develop over time. It has become clear that Scott Frost is no where close to being an elite head coach at this time. But he isn't going anywhere, so we have to hope that he will develop over time and the same thing for his coaching staff. With the exception of Tuioti, I don't believe that anyone on that staff including S&C have ever held similar positions in a P5 program. So some of them may be in over their heads right now. It will be up to Frost to determine which of them can learn to swim in the P5 environment, and then change out any that can not.

But in the meantime, all we can do as fans is continue to support the program with our attendance and donations.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but this label 'elite coach' doesn't make much sense to me. Saban was a decent, even good but not great coach for the first 18 years of his career, including 4 stints as a head coach. How many coaches that people are currently gushing over have had some pretty stinky to average points in their careers?

The only coaches I see as problematic are those who refuse to make changes over long stretches of their careers. A bad couple of years does not mean a coach can't become elite. There isn't a single guy we could have brought in as HC who would have actually merited the title of 'elite coach'.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but this label 'elite coach' doesn't make much sense to me. Saban was a decent, even good but not great coach for the first 18 years of his career, including 4 stints as a head coach. How many coaches that people are currently gushing over have had some pretty stinky to average points in their careers?

The only coaches I see as problematic are those who refuse to make changes over long stretches of their careers. A bad couple of years does not mean a coach can't become elite. There isn't a single guy we could have brought in as HC who would have actually merited the title of 'elite coach'.
Since you quoted my post, I will reply. I think we are in complete agreement. It seems like some or many fans, commentators and also NU administrators thought that Frost's success at UCF would translate into almost immediate, similar success at Nebraska. That clearly hasn't happened and the lack of success has revealed that Frost has deficiencies as a head coach where he will need to grow into the position. He did not come "ready made" to the job at Nebraska.

Since you quoted my post, I will reply. I think we are in complete agreement. It seems like some or many fans, commentators and also NU administrators thought that Frost's success at UCF would translate into almost immediate, similar success at Nebraska. That clearly hasn't happened and the lack of success has revealed that Frost has deficiencies as a head coach where he will need to grow into the position. He did not come "ready made" to the job at Nebraska.

While some might disagree, I don't think Frost's challenge was as difficult taking over UCF. That team had actually had some pretty darn good success, which suggests those players were hungry to return to that level. He took over a team here that has NEVER shown a great deal of heart or resolve. Couple that with some thinning of an already deficient roster because of transfers, defections and discipline, and you have a pretty tough road for anyone to travel. It's hard for me to jump on the 'he wasn't ready' notion, when I don't think there really is anyone who would have had instant culture change with this group.

Last edited:
While some might disagree, I don't think Frost's challenge was as difficult taking over UCF. That team had actually had some pretty darn good success, which suggests those players were hungry to return to that level. He took over a team here that has NEVER shown a great deal of heart or resolve. Couple that with some thinning of an already deficient roster because of transfers, defections and discipline, and you have a pretty tough road for anyone to travel. It's hard for me to jump on the 'he wasn't ready' notion, when I don't think there really is anyone who would have had instant culture change with this group.
Yes, absolutely, Frost walked into a situation at UCF that was not dire. As you mention, the program had had pretty good success with the exception of 2015 where everything went off the rails. And the roster was stocked with pretty good players for that level of football.

So, yes, Frost's challenge was definitely greater when he got to Nebraska. And so far he has not been up to that challenge. There are multiple examples of coaches coming in to a mess and starting to turn around the program by the second year. We are going to have to be patient while Frost develops as a head coach.

And Solich as OC, Callahan as OL coach and Riley as recruiting manager

Bill Callahan is 1-0 as a head coach in DC. Based on the way Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder have been doing things, this means Callahan will get a long term contract and become the highest paid coach in the NFL by Tuesday. Wednesday at the latest.
I believe FADSP changed his name to Bruce Allen because he wasn’t content with ruining my favorite college football team, he had to go ruin my favorite pro team too.

Yes, absolutely, Frost walked into a situation at UCF that was not dire. As you mention, the program had had pretty good success with the exception of 2015 where everything went off the rails. And the roster was stocked with pretty good players for that level of football.

So, yes, Frost's challenge was definitely greater when he got to Nebraska. And so far he has not been up to that challenge. There are multiple examples of coaches coming in to a mess and starting to turn around the program by the second year. We are going to have to be patient while Frost develops as a head coach.

I'd say that he's not overcome the challenge yet, I don't agree that he isn't up to it. There are plenty of examples of very successful coaches going to a program and stinking it up as well. It's a two way street, you need players that are both talented and have a desire to be great, and a coach who can help put them in a position to be great.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back