• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tackling

huskrthill

Leading horses to water since 2009
10 Year Member
Perhaps the biggest problem we had as a team on Saturday night was our tackling. From the first whistle to the end, we seemed to be more focused on stripping the football than bringing the guy to the ground. Minnesota ball carriers did a good job protecting the football and kept their legs moving. There were numerous times when we made initial contact at, or near, the line of scrimmage, but we failed to make a tackle. From there, we did a poor job cleaning up, with guys often standing there instead of helping while Minnesota pushed the pile.

It sounds simple, but last night could have gone a bit differently if we were able to tackle even a little bit better.

Perhaps the biggest problem we had as a team on Saturday night was our tackling. From the first whistle to the end, we seemed to be more focused on stripping the football than bringing the guy to the ground. Minnesota ball carriers did a good job protecting the football and kept their legs moving. There were numerous times when we made initial contact at, or near, the line of scrimmage, but we failed to make a tackle. From there, we did a poor job cleaning up, with guys often standing there instead of helping while Minnesota pushed the pile.

It sounds simple, but last night could have gone a bit differently if we were able to tackle even a little bit better.
I posted the same thoughts last night during the game. Wrap up the tackle let others rally to the ball and try and get the strip

Yep.

So if we made Minnie’s backs look like Jonathan Taylor, who are we gonna make Jonathon look like?

It’s true that our defense was on the field a ridiculous amount of time. However, I’m not sure poor tackling technique takes more energy that good tackling technique...not to mention that poor tackling clearly extended many of Minnie’s drives, to your original point.

Yep.

So if we made Minnie’s backs look like Jonathan Taylor, who are we gonna make Jonathon look like?

It’s true that our defense was on the field a ridiculous amount of time. However, I’m not sure poor tackling technique takes more energy that good tackling technique...not to mention that poor tackling clearly extended many of Minnie’s drives, to your original point.
It would have made a difference on early downs for sure. Tackle a guy on first down for a 2 yard gain instead of letting him drag you for 7 yards while you try to strip the ball, and the game changes considerably.

It would have made a difference on early downs for sure. Tackle a guy on first down for a 2 yard gain instead of letting him drag you for 7 yards while you try to strip the ball, and the game changes considerably.

They weren’t even dragging people all that much, more like bouncing off and keeping moving. Damn, three backs with almost 100 yards apiece. Freaking embarrassing.

Even the FS1 announcer made comment about the lack of the Huskers wrapping up and making a tackle. Sure tackling and hard tackling are part of a competitive football team.

At least twice we had 2 or 3 defenders surrounding a ball carrier pushing and jostling, but no real effort to get him to the ground. Next thing you know a couple of Minnesota lineman come up from behind and push everyone up field - one of those instances resulted in a touchdown.

That’s in the players, Chinader, and Frost. The HC needs to somehow convince his DC that his players need to start knocking the snot out of

Agree.

Jack Stoll made the best tackle of the night. It was open field on a return. He hit, wrapped, and drove through the tackle. He should give lessons to the defense.

Frost should make the team watch the 1978 NU - OU game if he wants them to learn how to hit. That's how you force nine fumbles from what Barry Switzer called his most talented offense.

I am so looking forward to Lamar Jackson's career in the NFL because his college career will mercifully be over. He still avoids hits. But he did have a great view of Minnesota's last touchdown. He just watched it happen right in front of him

Lord do we need linebackers. Garret Nelson should move inside so he can be in on more plays. Mo Barry at least tries but he's just not very good..

Even our best tackler, Jo Jo Dorman, seemingly disappeared. I would move him from nickel to get him on the field more plays.

On that note, Frost needs to find the players that want it. He needs players who sell out for their team every play. He's got nothing to lose in playing deeper into his roster to find them.

Last edited:

The suggestion Lamar Jackson would be a high draft pick surprised me. His lack of sure open field tackling does not seem to be in tune with the wants nor observed skill set of professional football. I will be surprised if he makes a team resulting from this deficiency in his game but do wish him the best of luck..

The suggestion Lamar Jackson would be a high draft pick surprised me. His lack of sure open field tackling does not seem to be in tune with the wants nor observed skill set of professional football. I will be surprised if he makes a team resulting from this deficiency in his game but do wish him the best of luck..

He’s not going to be a first round pick.

I was taught to keep the head up then hit-lift-drive, in that order. We expand on that a little and add 'put them down'. I've rarely called a guy out for having good form on a tackle, because it isn't a perfect technique. It does work 99% of the time, so I will always resort to teaching those steps. The key is where you aim for a tackle. The D is grabbing shoulder high. We should be crushing them at the belt line. I would guess they do not scrimmage full contact enough to have it down as a habit.

When they announced Frost as the new hire I was pretty stoked. I figured if one thing he would revive is the full contact at four stations across the practice field for scrimmaging. I fear we practice throwing the ball so much we don't have time to practice the physical part of the game. If you cannot run the ball down the throat of the other team then we will never dominate the B1G. Every champion in the B1G has had a strong run game.

I agree but I want to look at it a different way.

it is much easier to tackle in packs

it is much harder to tackle one on one in open space than in confined space.

my point is that if you are constantly having your LBs and safeties make tackles in the open field against an opponent moving at full speed, it is a recipe for disaster. some (not all) of our tackling problems lie from getting beat at the LOS and opposing RB’s finding north south running way too easy.

Yep.

Like Melvin Gordon ala 408 yards :Frown:

I agree but I want to look at it a different way.

it is much easier to tackle in packs

Gang tackling is a sign that the team pursues well, too.

Chi-Town Cube said:
it is much harder to tackle one on one in open space than in confined space.

When you break down before making an open field tackle it is hard to miss. We haven't as a team been good about it, but some of our Huskers do it pretty well. The ball came out on one such tackle in space, because you tend to get a good jarring impact when you hit a guy square. It has to be expected. Chinandler doesn't seem to reinforce it,

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back