• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MLB Season Thread

giphy.gif

Cue the whining about how wild card qualifiers can eliminate a 100-plus win team in a relatively short series. It's an argument I'm sympathetic to, but not on the heels of a team's $30 million ace giving up back-to-back jacks late in, or a vaunted HR-hitting lineup getting shut out after the second inning of a deciding game. Upsets happen and can be fun...for the underdog's fans, of course, and mayhem-seeking fans everywhere.

I DO think that bigger advantages could be built in to reward division winners and the higher seeds of the playoffs, but TV and the money remind us, in the end, it's entertainment, largely. For instance, how about a two-out-of-three wildcard series on travel-be-damned consecutive days (even a DH possibly), with only one day to the LDS? That way, the winning wild card teams are opening that series with their #3 starter (maybe), but at the very least with more wear-and-tear. Also, I think that there should be all kinds of tiebreakers established so that on the last day of the season, the five teams in each league are known. For instance, last year's tiebreaker game between the Dodgers and Rockies should've been settled by their 76-game records within the division.

Lots of fodder, it's what makes it fun, though mostly misery for the die hard fan...and today there are a lot of really blue LAD devotees, who were fast-forwarding to a titanic clash with the Astros or Yankees in the WS. Could the Rays possibly bring more mayhem to the proceedings tonight?

What in the hell happened to Freddie? :Frown:
I have no idea, he is someone that is a perennial MVP candidate, gold glove winner, and led the NL in RBI's this year. That guy didn't show up. For that matter, Donaldson who had 30+ homers on the season didn't really show up in big spots either, but he didn't have any defensive gaffes like Freddie.

Sometimes it just isn't your day, and it just goes to show that anything can happen in playoff baseball. Credit to the Cardinals. They have proven that they can consistently win in October.

Bullpen needs work still in my opinion and I think bringing back Donaldson on a multi-year deal is a great idea, of course if he doesn't break the bank, but after a year like this he is going to be a hot commodity on the FA market.

Already thinking of next year. We can take comfort in the fact that the Braves should be very good for, at a minimum the next 5 years.

I have no idea, he is someone that is a perennial MVP candidate, gold glove winner, and led the NL in RBI's this year. That guy didn't show up. For that matter, Donaldson who had 30+ homers on the season didn't really show up in big spots either, but he didn't have any defensive gaffes like Freddie.

Sometimes it just isn't your day, and it just goes to show that anything can happen in playoff baseball. Credit to the Cardinals. They have proven that they can consistently win in October.

Bullpen needs work still in my opinion and I think bringing back Donaldson on a multi-year deal is a great idea, of course if he doesn't break the bank, but after a year like this he is going to be a hot commodity on the FA market.

Already thinking of next year. We can take comfort in the fact that the Braves should be very good for, at a minimum the next 5 years.
Yeah, I'm hoping Donaldson had enough fun this year that he wants to be a part of the team for a couple more years and that factors into a new contract. We'll see I suppose. Bullpen definitely still needs tinkered with. Poor Luke Jackson. I cringed when Snitker brought him in during Game 1. What could've been. Future is still bright for sure, especially as the young guys continue to grow.

If the Astros bats don't come alive, Cole will have to be on his game. Free agent. ..how much does he get?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back