• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

We Are a Bad Football Team

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date
Fleck had them ready to play with a good game plan. Never thought their o and d- lines would manhandle Nebraska. They’re playing with confidence and Nebraska not so much.
Still think Frost will turn things around but it’s going to take a lot longer.
Agree my friend. It just sucks going through the growing pains.

Fleck had them ready to play with a good game plan. Never thought their o and d- lines would manhandle Nebraska. They’re playing with confidence and Nebraska not so much.
Still think Frost will turn things around but it’s going to take a lot longer.

It really looked like one team wanted to play football and one wanted to go home. Pretty easy to figure out who was who.

Lots of work to do with the week off.

Yes and no, in my opinion.

We panicked. We believed Nebraska winning 9 games was a birthright (ha ha) and we had a nitwit for an AD at the time who thought he was the savior of the program. We blew up what worked. We've blown up the program 5 times in 18 years thinking that the only problem with Nebraska football was lousy coaching. Wrong.

The first thing we need to come to grips with is the reality that college football has drastically changed. The money has made everyone a player in building facilities, hiring coaches, and recruiting.

I hate to say it, but what made Nebraska special was the fact we cared. In an era before college football become an insane money maker, we spent the money. We built the facilities. We were at the cutting edge. Now, everyone has a massive budget and great facilities. The recruiting services publicize who and where the talent is. It's harder to fly under the radar.

Bottom line is that while Frank may not have ultimately been the answer, we blew the program to smithereens when he was fired in a panic move. That set us adrift in a brand new world of college football without a foundation. Frost is essentially trying to rebuild that foundation brick by brick. We have to give him time to do that.
I can respect that post and you may be right but me personally I never felt like the program was headed in the right direction under the man. The blowouts, average staff and the poor recruiting started with him. Even after he hired a new staff we got manhandled in our three losses. It reminded me of Riley’s second season when he won nine games.

Relax man. We are all upset and we all care. Thill is a good guy.
Ok. Taking your advice. You've kept a level head and at times have been human to be conflicted in how you approach your support of what you see on the field. Apologies in your direction. Keep pushing your agenda of staying positive but questioning some short and long term direction. Its healthy. I'll try to follow suit. But it's difficult to apply some logical criticism and just get kicked in the teeth for doing so by other posters. Thanks. (truly no sarcasm I promise)

It really looked like one team wanted to play football and one wanted to go home. Pretty easy to figure out who was who.

Lots of work to do with the week off.
And that's what hurts the most is that a year and a half into this, we still have a football team that looks completely disinterested out there and the effort is pathetic, with a capital P. I don't mind losing games as we build this program back up, but my God, what I saw tonight against that team was really bad. Thill had the best word to describe it.....Disheartening.

Ok. Taking your advice. You've kept a level head and at times have been human to be conflicted in how you approach your support of what you see on the field. Apologies in your direction. Keep pushing your agenda of staying positive but questioning some short and long term direction. Its healthy. I'll try to follow suit. But it's difficult to apply some logical criticism and just get kicked in the teeth for doing so by other posters. Thanks. (truly no sarcasm I promise)
I hear ya man. I predicted we might get beat handily, but I also wasn't ready to fully believe it. I don't know what's going on or why the answers are, but I do believe Frost is the right guy. Hang in there bud. Let's just try to cheer this team to a bowl game.

I can respect that post and you may be right but me personally I never felt like the program was headed in the right direction under the man. The blowouts, average staff and the poor recruiting started with him. Even after he hired a new staff we got manhandled in our three losses. It reminded me of Riley’s second season when he won nine games.

I agree the program was slipping and it wasn't hard to question the direction of the program. Recruiting, which I think remains a bugaboo and may always be a bugaboo to the program, was not very good and the talent level was dropping.

My point is that the program didn't need a complete overhaul. Maybe Frank wasn't the guy to lead the program, but the nuclear option was unnecessary and incredibly damaging.

The biggest challenge for Frost, in my opinion, will be recruiting. Those rapid turnaround jobs are done at places at recruiting hotbeds with talented rosters and bad leadership. Nebraska has had bad players and bad leadership. That's a horrible combination. The attrition to the roster over the last 3 years has been significant. We have had many highly regarded guys leave or just bust.

Anyway, the program is a dumpster fire. No way around that. It's a total rebuild.

I hear ya man. I predicted we might get beat handily, but I also wasn't ready to fully believe it. I don't know what's going on or why the answers are, but I do believe Frost is the right guy. Hang in there bud. Let's just try to cheer this team to a bowl game.
Ok. I will. Just don't slam me for when I voice some serious concerns about the program in the mean time. It's ok to vent without personal attacks. You don't. But others do.

At least you're honest about your ridiculous lack of patience. Its ugly but it sounds like you're ready to bail exactly 1 1/2 years into a coaching staff. Really beyond ridiculous.
Well...he did admit he has donated a half million to the program with nothing to show for it. That may be the biggest source of frustration

Well...he did admit he has donated a half million to the program with nothing to show for it. That may be the biggest source of frustration

Yes. It's frustrating to be a donor in support of terrible leadership. Try it sometime.

I don't have a problem calling out Frost. And the whole staff. I agree with you that firing the staff would be an overreaction. But I think it's fair to discuss some insufficiencies right about now. It's ok to hold them accountable. I think to ask for action versus complaint is a bit extreme. This is a discussion board. It's not fair to say if you want to complain then you are for firing the staff. There's probable cause for feeling suspicious about Frost and company right about now. The team is terrible under Frost. The reasons why are open for debate. I tend to think he isn't ready for this stage. Some think that's blasphemy. Yet watch the same game I do.
By year four if we are still seeing us get whipped like we did today i will agree frost wasn’t ready. But as of right now with the way he is recruiting I believe year four will be the year we get back to nine or ten wins a season. Next year will be about like this year though in my eyes. Maybe a little better but we will still get pushed around a little but year four is when the strength and conditioning will really take affect. Wisky didn’t do it in one year and where they started is where we are starting. It takes time to turn around a team like Indiana and sad thing is that where we are at this point and when frost took over. Riley completely destroyed any of the momentum that pelini built

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back