• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Maybe the OL isn't as bad as some are saying...

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date
View attachment 29716

Hixson is a redshirt sophomore … which means 4 of the 5 starters have 3 years plus in the system. Wilson and Farnoik are redshirt juniors - i.e. 4 years in the program. These are not inexperienced players. They've been in the S&C and nutrition systems for a while.

Everyone acts as if they're true freshmen!

Yes having your center being really inexperienced hurts. Having been in SF's system for only 2 years also affects continuity.

Will they be better by the end of the season? - I suspect so.
Will they be better next year where their top 10 players all return? - I suspect so.

But this squad has under-achieved based on the experience they carried into the season. Those of us with Kool-Aid flavored beer goggles had higher expectations than what has happened so far.

1. They are inexperienced in Coach Austin and Coach Frost's system which is extremely different from Coach Riley's drop back passing offense, wouldn't you agree? Just being on campus does not equate with experience in what the o-line needs to do now, today to make the Frost offense effective and efficient.
2. Last year we had guys getting sick doing 50% of the S&C that UCF players were doing! So I think that my comment about junior and senior stands since the Coach Riley S&C was asking so little of the players in terms of development.

Did I have higher expectations, yes. Will those expectations be fulfilled time will tell as many games remain to be played.

You know I was thinking last night, if this was 1970 and the rules hadn't changed we would be "undefeated (2-0-1)". Wonder how people would be reacting to this team if there were no overtime :).

All the best. GBR

I've been saying this for a while now. Not all of the offense's issues can be put on the OLine. Yes, they've had breakdowns, but we've had breakdowns all across this offense - QB, WR, RB, TE and including with play calling.

I saw a lot of good things in the NIU game and hope that we'll continue to see better things going forward. Interesting that several big blocks were delivered by Hixson against NIU

I've been saying this for a while now. Not all of the offense's issues can be put on the OLine. Yes, they've had breakdowns, but we've had breakdowns all across this offense - QB, WR, RB, TE and including with play calling.

I saw a lot of good things in the NIU game and hope that we'll continue to see better things going forward. Interesting that several big blocks were delivered by Hixson against NIU

I agree. The offense has to operate as a team with each member doing their part. They aren't working together whole as a team yet. Sometimes they almost seem to get there but most of the time it is just a little off.

I remember watching Frost first year at UCF and you could see a lot of the same stuff happening. The timing was a little off here or there or someone was not in position or missed their assignment. As they play together and work thru those issues they got better and the flow came. I see the same thing happening with Nebraska but at a somewhat slower pace (I think Frost got more of a rebuild here than at UCF).

We are going to get there. I think by the end of the season this team is going to be much much better and by next season the offense is going to be working like a complete organism.

View attachment 29716

Hixson is a redshirt sophomore … which means 4 of the 5 starters have 3 years plus in the system. Wilson and Farnoik are redshirt juniors - i.e. 4 years in the program. These are not inexperienced players. They've been in the S&C and nutrition systems for a while.

Yes having your center being really inexperienced hurts. Having been in SF's system for only 2 years also affects continuity.

Will they be better next year where their top 10 players all return? - I suspect so.

But this squad has under-achieved based on the experience they carried into the season. Those of us with Kool-Aid flavored beer goggles had higher expectations than what has happened so far.
And if they had met our expectations we'd be averaging how many yards per game?

Yeah I would like to have seen better out of the gate; but I am seeing game by game improvement. I am satisfied with that given a nearly two decade long period of poor O-Line development.

Last edited:

1. They are inexperienced in Coach Austin and Coach Frost's system which is extremely different from Coach Riley's drop back passing offense, wouldn't you agree? Just being on campus does not equate with experience in what the o-line needs to do now, today to make the Frost offense effective and efficient.
2. Last year we had guys getting sick doing 50% of the S&C that UCF players were doing! So I think that my comment about junior and senior stands since the Coach Riley S&C was asking so little of the players in terms of development.

Did I have higher expectations, yes. Will those expectations be fulfilled time will tell as many games remain to be played.

You know I was thinking last night, if this was 1970 and the rules hadn't changed we would be "undefeated (2-0-1)". Wonder how people would be reacting to this team if there were no overtime :).

All the best. GBR
Agree with all points; however on the last one you would have a lot less playing for a tie to go to overtime. I suspect the statistical regulation ties have to be way up since overtime was introduced.

Taylor Martinez is running for his life as soon as soon as he gets the snap. We cannot run inside worth a damn but improved some last weekend. Right now you can sugarcoat it anyway you want it but our offensive line is not good. We couldn’t maintain any offensive cohesion against South Alabama. Colorado’s yardage came in chunk plays and we could not get any consistent run game going the second half. A decent showing against Northern Illinois does not mean all is well or fixed. Not sure what games anyone is watching if they have any notion that our line is not having issues. With that being said I think we will continue to improve as the season goes on.

"Other than that, how did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"

View attachment 29716

They don't have 3 years plus in this system, though. And this offense and the previous one are polar opposites.

I understand the frustration, because I do think the coaches raised expectations a little to high with their comments before the season. With that being said, to say the O-line sucks or is terrible is a slight hyperbole. They will continue to get better as the year goes on and will be a lot better next year.

This offense wants chuck plays, wants to score fast. This is not a 12 play 6 minute offense. Which is what so many think they remember from TO's offense. Yes they did that, but there was plenty of quick strike scoring also.

Another thing people need to remember is that Nebraska basically had 4 offensive line coaches for the better part of 40 years. From 1962 to 2002 The offensive line was run by Jim Ross a guy Deveney brought with him from Wyoming. Clete Fisher a Nebraska Native and great player for Nebraska. Milt Tenipor who everyone knows and Dan Young. There was always 2 guys and the new guy learned from the old guy. When Ross retired Milt came on to coach. When Clete retired Young came on to coach. How many have they had since 2003. Barney Cotton x2, Dennis Wagnor, Josh Garrison, Mike Cavenaugh, and now Greg Austin.

Back in the glory days their was a system to making good O-linemen. The system was basically wait your turn and learn. Players came on to the team and played freshman football and then RS. When the Frosh team was disbanded they RS immediately. That RS year is spent getting beat up by all conference d-linemen on the scout team offense and getting bigger. After the come off the RS year they are probably 3rd string and may get into a couple of games in blowout situations. In their 3rd year as RS soph they are probably back ups. If they are really good they may be a starter but most likely not. As a Jr they may be a starter or still a backup. Then as a senior they may be starting. Most guys never even say significant playing time until the were Jrs. That is their 4th year in the system of watching guys perform before them and learning through endless repetitions for at least 2 years. The whole time this is being taught be the same 4 guys over a 40 year period.

Forty years of doing basically the same thing. With minor tweaks along the way. In the last 15 years they have done 5 different things taught by 5 different guys. Wisconsin has been doing the exact same thing since Barry Alvarez arrived in 1992 I believe. Iowa has been doing exactly the same thing since Ferentz arrived in 1999.

How bout a little patience.

Agree with all points; however on the last one you would have a lot less playing for a tie to go to overtime. I suspect the statistical regulation ties have to be way up since overtime was introduced.

You may be correct in that.

However, strategic playing for ties helped DONU in 1970 as being "undefeated" is a lot better than perhaps having lost to USC.
1965 clearly Notre Dame played for a tie versus MSU that lead to their National Championship that year by staying "undefeated".
I believe one of Bear Bryant's Alabama teams in the 60's won a National Championship with a tie.

And finally in a reverse of this, had Dr Tom kicked the extra point against Miami in 1984 Orange Bowl it's likely he wins his first National Championship as we would be the only "undefeated" team left that year.

Isn't stuff like this fun :)

All the best. GBR

i really hope he didn't say that.

I guess we should just pack our bags and go home if a defense lines up in something different. :mad:

Line play at its basic relies on knowing where the play is going, communicating prior to snap and hit somebody and stay with the block until the man is down or whistle

Yep, that is line play in 7th grade.

Yep, that is line play in 7th grade.
humbly disagree. I played thru college.

we are seeing at times pathetic efforts by an assortment of our lineman either blocking no one or getting beat when blocking someone.

Its ridiculous to make an excuse about whatever damn scheme they used.

i really hope he didn't say that.

I guess we should just pack our bags and go home if a defense lines up in something different. :mad:

Line play at its basic relies on knowing where the play is going, communicating prior to snap and hit somebody and stay with the block until the man is down or whistle

That's why the progress of this young line is impressive and important.

They showed against NIU that they could pick up the stunts and things they had not prepared for.

As a young line, everyone is going to throw unusual stuff at them until the Husker o-line shows by breaking big plays like they did against NIU, that they can handle it.

Remember we are a "chunk play" offense. Scott is fine with two plays for two yards if the next one goes for 65 yards and a touchdown. And thats what a stunting, blitzing defense gives up to players like Mills, Washington, and our WR.

So bring it on and we will burn your ass!

All the best. GBR

"Other than that, how did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"
That did make me chuckle. I don't think it's all doom and gloom-I really do think we will get better, it's just not a cohesive unit right now and it's not all on the line. I do think most would have to admit to themselves that calling our present performance along the offensive line anything more than mediocre would be judging them through the lens of a Husker fan.

Last edited:

You may be correct in that.

However, strategic playing for ties helped DONU in 1970 as being "undefeated" is a lot better than perhaps having lost to USC.
1965 clearly Notre Dame played for a tie versus MSU that lead to their National Championship that year by staying "undefeated".
I believe one of Bear Bryant's Alabama teams in the 60's won a National Championship with a tie.

And finally in a reverse of this, had Dr Tom kicked the extra point against Miami in 1984 Orange Bowl it's likely he wins his first National Championship as we would be the only "undefeated" team left that year.

Isn't stuff like this fun :)

All the best. GBR
In 1970 we went ahead with 20 minutes left in regulation. USC tied us with a bit over 8 minutes left in regulation. I've never seen stats and play calling over the fourth quarter (I don't remember if I listened to PBP, and if I did, I don't remember what happened), but I question the conclusion that we "Played for a tie"; or even that USC necessarily did. You probably aren't going for two with that much time left if you are USC. You probably are not going to do anything desperate or risky if you are either team. But that isn't the same as playing for a tie.

Edit: found a little more
Both teams had final chances in the wild finale, but a great college game ended 21-21.

...later in HMax notes...

Nebraska’s chance for icing a victory misfired in the final quarter when a bad snap caused Paul Rogers to miss a 22-yard field goal that would have given NU a 24-14 lead.

USC then moved 80 yards for the tying TD, with Clarence Davis going the last nine yards with 8:16 left in the game.

...later...

The tie preserved USC’s 23-game regular-season unbeaten streak. Coach John McKay said he would have gone for a two-point conversion if the last touchdown had occurred with five minutes or less remaining. … The Trojans entered the game ranked third nationally by AP, Nebraska ninth. ..

I have always felt Dr Tom was correct, not because he was "being a man, going for the win," I suspect if he had gone for the tie and succeeded, that we may not have gotten the NC nod... I believe that was his thinking and I agree.

I also think truly playing for a tie at times results in Karma being a B****... Luck be a Lady tonight is a better approach.

ND was ND...

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back