• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Maybe the OL isn't as bad as some are saying...

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date
Taylor Martinez is running for his life as soon as soon as he gets the snap. We cannot run inside worth a damn but improved some last weekend. Right now you can sugarcoat it anyway you want it but our offensive line is not good. We couldn’t maintain any offensive cohesion against South Alabama. Colorado’s yardage came in chunk plays and we could not get any consistent run game going the second half. A decent showing against Northern Illinois does not mean all is well or fixed. Not sure what games anyone is watching if they have any notion that our line is not having issues. With that being said I think we will continue to improve as the season goes on.
No one said we weren't having any issues. Just said that maybe it's not as bad as we like to pretend around here. No one is even saying all is well or fixed. Just saying that some here really overreact just 3 games in. Osborne always said the offensive line takes the longest to come around. I for one am happy that our defense is ahead of our offense for a change.

So far the o-line has struggled but I saw improvement last week. I think Cam is actually one of the bright spots and has played 2 games now pretty decent imo. Need to give him time but before this is over he's going to be one hell of center imo. I also don't believe Mills has exactly helped out with missed cuts and just trying to run over people. He showed promise last week and hope that continues this Saturday because we're going to need him for Big 10 play.

O-line absolutley must all be on the same page to be an effective unit and that's up to the coaches to make it happen. Going to keep my powder dry until I've seen several games in conference before declaring how good or bad the o-line is...... I also believe SF will improve his play calling in that this offense needs to keep defenses guessing. We're simply not going to line up and knock people off the LOS at this stage of rebuilding. That's probably going to take a couple more years. Frost also says this is a chunk style of offense and that's exactly what we've been doing. We're not going to see a grind it out because that's not what it's being built to accomplish. We're not Wisconsin and we're not going to be either!

Bottom line lets see how things develop before passing sentence on this seasons o-line....

We are 2-1, should be 3-0, and racking up over 500 yds per game. Maybe you should chill with the "suck" part.
I agree.

If we lose this game Saturday, or just barely win(say less than 6 points) I will make a crap ton of HMers or really in this case, ***** on here happy and not post until after the OSU game. :Cheers:

We should have a good feel for how good/bad/mediocre this O-line is after the Ohio State and Northwestern games. We're not gonna beat Ohio State, but my hope is that the O-line continues to improve and is at least competitive against them. I like our chances at home against Northwestern, even though Pat Fitzgerald does very well in Memorial Stadium.

Taylor who??????. They are young line and will grow each game has been better. Geez they are just a bunch of 18 to 21 year old young men time will fix a lot

But it seems like we hear the same thing every week. These teams are throwing new stuff at us. I'm not in the camp that the sky is falling, but we also need to get it figured out. As we start to play teams with better talent, size, etc. it is not going to be as easy. We need to be better prepared and not lean on on that a team is doing something differently.

Do I believe our o-line is "excellent": no.

Do I believe it is improving: yes!!
1. Center is getting better push, watch Jurgens he is a one on one animal.
2. Depth is better. Bando comes in and line play is still good.
3. Second team line play was coherent in the 4th quarter which bodes well for further down the road and any other injuries that may occur. (Benhart looked good but skinny for a big, big man!).
4. Part of "poor line play" was Mills not seeing/running where holes were the first two games, that seems to be improving quickly.

As others have pointed out, the o-line is best when starters are juniors and seniors with years in the weight room and experience in the system. That's why losing Gaylord is such a blow. Why the future is so promising.

Finally, we have to change our understanding of the Husker running game.
Scott's offense is predicated on "chunk plays". This is NOT Dr Tom's running game so instead of 12 play drives taking 6 minutes, we will have 4 play drives taking 1:24.

Huskers will still score 35+ points per game but TOP will be less than 30 minutes, which is why CHinanders defense needs to create 2+ turnovers per game.

All the best. GBR

Last edited:
Do I believe our o-line is "excellent": no.

Do I believe it is improving: yes!!
1. Center is getting better push, watch Jurgens he is a one on one animal.
2. Depth is better. Bando comes in and line play is still good.
3. Second team line play was coherent in the 4th quarter which bodes well for further down the road and any other injuries that may occur. (Benhart looked good but skinny for a big, big man!).
4. Part of "poor line play" was Mills not seeing/running where holes were the first two games, that seems to be improving quickly.

As others have pointed out, the o-line is best when starters are juniors and seniors with years in the weight room and experience in the system. That's why losing Gaylord is such a blow. Why the future is so promising.

Finally, we have to change our understanding of the Husker running game.
Scott's offense is predicated on "chunk plays". This is NOT Dr Tom's running game so instead of 12 play drives taking 6 minutes, we will have 4 play drives taking 1:24.

Huskers will still score 35+ points per game but TOP will be less than 30 minutes, which is why CHinanders defense needs to create 2+ turnovers per game.

All the best. GBR
Our non-conference schedule hasn't been filled with blue bloods and we are averaging 36 points per game. I hope you are right but unless we can figure out some things soon we are going to struggle to maintain a 35 point scoring average. I do believe Scott's offense to some degree is predicated on chunk plays but I also believe he expected to be able to control the line of scrimmage against the first three opponents. This concerns most on this board and my guess is that it greatly concerns SF. We haven't done much inside or outside consistently. It's been feast or famine trying to run the ball. What is equally concerning to me is our pass blocking. Against better competition we may be looking at more sacks and we are putting our QB's health on the line. I have no idea what the percentage is but from my eye it appears that AM is moving out of the pocket and running for his life on at least 30% of his attempts. In many cases the pressure is almost immediate.

Last edited:

As others have pointed out, the o-line is best when starters are juniors and seniors with years in the weight room and experience in the system.

Hixson is a redshirt sophomore … which means 4 of the 5 starters have 3 years plus in the system. Wilson and Farnoik are redshirt juniors - i.e. 4 years in the program. These are not inexperienced players. They've been in the S&C and nutrition systems for a while.

Everyone acts as if they're true freshmen!

Yes having your center being really inexperienced hurts. Having been in SF's system for only 2 years also affects continuity.

Will they be better by the end of the season? - I suspect so.
Will they be better next year where their top 10 players all return? - I suspect so.

But this squad has under-achieved based on the experience they carried into the season. Those of us with Kool-Aid flavored beer goggles had higher expectations than what has happened so far.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back