• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Transferring from Air Force

Elwood von Kiowa

Major Fongbomb
10 Year Member
Glad we have McCallum on the roster; cool story. But it made me wonder -- I didn't think it was possible to transfer out of a service academy once you made that commitment. But I guess you don't have to sign on the dotted line until sophomore year (according to his walk-on story).

Last edited:

You can transfer out before your third year is my understanding; or at least it used to be third year. I think that was true of ROTC Scholarships, too.

I worked with an Engineer, about a year or two older, who left the Naval Academy in the 1970's. His comment was "they would tell us we were getting a free $50,000 education (that was the numbers back then, now it would be a per year) but they crammed it up our bottom hole 25 cents at a time..."

The oft cited (on Hot Topics) Streetwise Professor https://streetwiseprofessor.com/ was also at the Naval Academy for two years in the 1970's and got fed up with the BS and left early to go to University of Chicago. He often gets grilled on it when he expert witnesses.

Also had a DONU frat buddy who decided not to go the the USNA (he was working on getting in) and instead took a ROTC scholly from the Air Force instead. He had serious second thoughts.

Generally the Air Force Academy and USAF in general has always had a reputation for being a lot easier going than the other academies and services (remember hearing stories back in the 1960's on that).

Last edited:
You can transfer out before your third year is my understanding; or at least it used to be third year. I think that was true of ROTC Scholarships, too.

I worked with an Engineer, about a year or two older, who left the Naval Academy in the 1970's. His comment was "they would tell us we were getting a free $50,000 education (that was the numbers back then, now it would be a per year) but they crammed it up our bottom hole 25 cents at a time..."

The oft cited (on Hot Topics) Streetwise Professor https://streetwiseprofessor.com/ was also at the Naval Academy for two years in the 1970's and got fed up with the BS and left early to go to University of Chicago. He often gets grilled on it when he expert witnesses.

Also had a DONU frat buddy who decided not to go the the USNA (he was working on getting in) and instead took a ROTC scholly from the Air Force instead. He had serious second thoughts.

Generally the Air Force Academy and USAF in general has always had a reputation for being a lot easier going than the other academies and services (remember hearing stories back in the 1960's on that).
For nearly 25 years I worked with a group of teachers and veterans who ran what we called The Anthracite Bowl . A football game between the US Military Academy and the United States Naval Academy LIGHWEIGHT football ( now called Sprint Football) teams. They visited elementary schools on Friday, stayed with host families and played their game on Saturday afternoon.
The difference between the academies was incredible Army was much more tightly wound more intense than their counterparts. Believe me when I tell you Army -Navy is a rivalry second to none. The coaches and especially the officers were DEAD serious about the game.
It was a lot of fun and would be absolutely incredible to bring to Nebraska. I am sure both academics would be open to it . It was an outstanding experience for the people in Pottsville, Pennsylvania.

One of my closest friends is a retired naval commander (Annapolis grad) that was also an XO on a Boomer! He absolutely lives and dies with the Army/Navy game every year. Always makes the trip for that game and of course to see many old friends.

To say the least he's not been to happy the past couple of years.... Takes him a week of sulking around to get over losing to Army.... :Lol: But to backup Yuengling many take that game as serious as a heart attack!

"Back in the day" if you left after one year, you owed nothing. If you left after two years, you owed a few years of enlisted time active duty or reserves. There was a substantial amount of time owed if you left any time after that.
We all sat and watched the clock count down to the start of our Second Class (Junior) year. At that point we were committed.

HAH!

As a 1998 grad and Admissions Liaison Officer for the Air Force Academy, I'll confirm what most have been saying. As long as you leave by day 1 of your Junior (2 degree) year, you don't owe the Air Force anything. If you start that year, but don't complete the four years, you will have to serve for a period of time as an enlisted member of the AF. Once you graduate and are commissioned, you owe 5 years, unless you attend a more specialized training program (such as Pilot Training) which extends your commitment.

And people can focus on the Army-Navy Game all they want, but Air Force has almost as many Commander-in-Chief's Trophies as the other two service academies combined. :Biggrin:

As a 1998 grad and Admissions Liaison Officer for the Air Force Academy, I'll confirm what most have been saying. As long as you leave by day 1 of your Junior (2 degree) year, you don't owe the Air Force anything. If you start that year, but don't complete the four years, you will have to serve for a period of time as an enlisted member of the AF. Once you graduate and are commissioned, you owe 5 years, unless you attend a more specialized training program (such as Pilot Training) which extends your commitment.

And people can focus on the Army-Navy Game all they want, but Air Force has almost as many Commander-in-Chief's Trophies as the other two service academies combined. :Biggrin:
well done Zommie - Go NAVY!

From the article:

“I would have had to sign a (military) commitment at the end of my sophomore year for the next eight or nine years. So that was definitely something that I had to think about, and I think I made the right choice coming back."

I guess that means after 2nd year, or before 3rd year, as you guys have pointed out.

Thanks

And, Thanks to all of you who served.

(Even if it was in the Air Force). :Rolf:

Last edited:

. And, they beat Colorado.

Maybe but it will never have the glitz and glam of the Army Navy Game. Maybe , just maybe because they had been playing for 64 years prior to the AFA even being established. Sorry no matter how many they win AFA will always be 3rd fiddle to the rest of the world.

Maybe but it will never have the glitz and glam of the Army Navy Game. Maybe , just maybe because they had been playing for 64 years prior to the AFA even being established. Sorry no matter how many they win AFA will always be 3rd fiddle to the rest of the world.

Agreed, and go Army!

Well the Air Corps/Force was part of the Army side of the annual skulduggery for funding battles with Navy pre-1947. Heck, today (9/18) is their Birthday! Happy 72nd birthday USAF!

They first had to do battle with Navy for money and then do battle with Armor, Artillery and Infantry for their share... Heck, some of them got court martialed for that...

Recently saw a You Tube Video regarding pushing funding the B-17 as an anti-ship weapon coastal defense weapon pre-1940.

The RAF was the first independent Air Force, 2019 being their 100th Anniversary.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back