• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

DiNardo on Scott Frost

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date
Sure, but's it's like every time someone pulls out a positive take on 'hey, that coach did it'. There are excuses for how that shouldn't happen with us.
The positive sunshine pumpers want to squash any sentiment that we should be better than we are. Which, ironically, is more negative than the negativity that we are not good.
There are so many excuses. Not reasons, but excuses with some people. I've never seen so many. I was going to list them but decided not to.
Just my favorite one: We don't have the talent to win. But when we do win, we will get the talent. Oh boy. What a paradox.

I think it's ok if Frost loses a handful of games year two. And inspires us on the recruiting front. That's the blueprint I've seen and can expect. Takes a few years to build a team that competes for conference championships. Then a few more to win one and do great things. So I'm ok with some setbacks. So far though we've had 9 (with Frost). I'm not sure what the over/under is on how many years Frost needs to compete at a high level as you mention.

I think the negativity towards those that expect to win now has gotten really old, as if expecting to lose is a positive thing.
This is the biggest distortion of thought I have ever read. No one attempting to explain what may have happened is accepting loss. There is a far distance from looking for reason in a situation to acceptance. Additionally just whining that "waaah I want to win now, Waaah." Is not positive nor helpful. It just makes people look like immature cry babies.
That is not to say that we can not have intelligent discussions about where the problems are. *** does a very good job of this. Simply calling for firing after the second game of the second season just does not hold water as intelligent discussion.

This is kind of a weird ask. My concern is for this week. I worry about next week after this game. Predicting outcomes and upsets weeks out when we don’t know what our health or an opponent’s health isn’t practical. And Frost being Frost, we don’t know day to day, much less week to week who is healthy, or how guys are actually practicing. And not to sound corny, but I’m a believer in focusing on getting better day by day. If you want a prediction for this week, 35-21 Huskers, but we don’t get the 14 point lead until later in the game.

I think we are still a little fragile, and I think the issues in the middle of the line limit our offense. Beyond this week, I have zero opinion.

I just thought it would be better to focus on reasons for success. There's just so much bad to point to.

I think if we lost all the rest of our games we would be in dumpster fire mode, so I won't shy away from predictions. I don't think we upset anyone. We shouldn't really be expected to beat Ohio state or Wisconsin. Maybe not even Iowa right now. Outside of those 3 games we should win the rest. So this week we have NIU. They are terrible. Their recruiting is awful compared to us. They have zero team speed and very little depth. Sustained drives will give them no chance, but I expect the big play.

What I want to see is a great one two punch with the RB's. if we can't establish the run against this team and set up some play action we have more issues than I thought.

No sacks. We need to learn to take what's there and get rid of the ball.

This is the biggest distortion of thought I have ever read. No one attempting to explain what may have happened is accepting loss. There is a far distance from looking for reason in a situation to acceptance. Additionally just whining that "waaah I want to win now, Waaah." Is not positive nor helpful. It just makes people look like immature cry babies.
That is not to say that we can not have intelligent discussions about where the problems are. *** does a very good job of this. Simply calling for firing after the second game of the second season just does not hold water as intelligent discussion.

I haven't seen the use of waaaah in a long time. If ever. I'll leave you to your intelligent discussions.

And as for the bolded, there are numerous posts on here from individuals accepting loss. Not expecting to win. Look around. Don't ask me to show you because I'm not getting into that with you. You can find them for yourself.

It's healthy to constantly look into the driving force of success and failure in your work. Rejection of self introspection is self capitulation.

I just thought it would be better to focus on reasons for success. There's just so much bad to point to.

I think if we lost all the rest of our games we would be in dumpster fire mode, so I won't shy away from predictions. I don't think we upset anyone. We shouldn't really be expected to beat Ohio state or Wisconsin. Maybe not even Iowa right now. Outside of those 3 games we should win the rest. So this week we have NIU. They are terrible. Their recruiting is awful compared to us. They have zero team speed and very little depth. Sustained drives will give them no chance, but I expect the big play.

What I want to see is a great one two punch with the RB's. if we can't establish the run against this team and set up some play action we have more issues than I thought.

No sacks. We need to learn to take what's there and get rid of the ball.

Now that is real distorted view of NIU. They are a solid mid major team that at times has been very good. Nebraska should win by at least a couple of touchdowns but don’t sell them short

Now that is real distorted view of NIU. They are a solid mid major team that at times has been very good. Nebraska should win by at least a couple of touchdowns but don’t sell them short
Not distorted. I researched the major recruiting sites and their published depth chart as well as practice reports and their coaches. Their history. The may play hard and value each opportunity against top programs, but they aren’t remotely good.

I think the AAC coaches are not up to the level of the P5 coaches and we may need some staff adjustments. I would like to see a better line and running backs coach. We do not seem to rotate OLine and running backs are not producing in big ways. I feel Mills has gotten a bad rap because he has a lot of upside.

It's healthy to constantly look into the driving force of success and failure in your work. Rejection of self introspection is self capitulation.

Very true. Whats odd to me are individuals who don't want to do that. I guess scared of what they might find. I've had people here the past 2 weeks say give it 2 years before you evaluate anything. Well, I am. But not 2 bad years. 2 years of incremental improvement is fine almost regardless of record. But if you aren't seeing that, then why a blanket 2 years. Some people don't want to acknowledge much of anything. So why be on a discussion board. I think some fans have gravitated towards mediocrity.

I'm on record as saying Frost will get us there. And it will take some time. There will be about 20 phases to ultimate success. I think the first one was hiring Frost. A young players coach. Former winner here. Nebraska guy. et al.
Phase 2 was him getting some immediate players into his system primarily AM.
Phase 3 will be to stop the bleeding and stop losing to terrible teams. That remains to happen in my opinion. Phase 4 will be to attract elite talent. Maybe there's been some progress there. But the recruiting forum has plenty of concern. And there's always the arguments regarding stars versus your players versus the right players versus stars don't matter versus walk on program etc etc.
Phase 5 will be to settle on continuity (*** had a great point recently on that). We also have to have the right staff in place, which you have mentioned.
Phase 6 will be to get to a bowl game. We need that under our belt I think. Based on all the cupcakes, sorry, winnable games on our schedule, that just has to happen.
Phase 7 will be getting games won by the 3rd quarter. We have to start playing reserves.
Phase 8 will be looking like the better conditioned team out there. Stronger. Owning LOS against weaker teams.

Point is it's ok to apply some form of metrics and evaluation from week to week. It isn't the sky is falling when you do. It's not just all or nothing. No expectations at all mentality is a foreign concept to me.

Very true. Whats odd to me are individuals who don't want to do that. I guess scared of what they might find. I've had people here the past 2 weeks say give it 2 years before you evaluate anything. Well, I am. But not 2 bad years. 2 years of incremental improvement is fine almost regardless of record. But if you aren't seeing that, then why a blanket 2 years. Some people don't want to acknowledge much of anything. So why be on a discussion board. I think some fans have gravitated towards mediocrity.

I'm on record as saying Frost will get us there. And it will take some time. There will be about 20 phases to ultimate success. I think the first one was hiring Frost. A young players coach. Former winner here. Nebraska guy. et al.
Phase 3 will be to stop the bleeding and stop losing to terrible teams. That remains to happen in my opinion. Phase 4 will be to attract elite talent. Maybe there's been some progress there. But the recruiting forum has plenty of concern. And there's always the arguments regarding stars versus your players versus the right players versus stars don't matter versus walk on program etc etc.
Phase 5 will be to settle on continuity (*** had a great point recently on that). We also have to have the right staff in place, which you have mentioned.
Phase 6 will be to get to a bowl game. We need that under our belt I think. Based on all the cupcakes, sorry, winnable games on our schedule, that just has to happen.
Phase 7 will be getting games won by the 3rd quarter. We have to start playing reserves.
Phase 8 will be looking like the better conditioned team out there. Stronger. Owning LOS against weaker teams.

Point is it's ok to apply some form of metrics and evaluation from week to week. It isn't the sky is falling when you do. It's not just all or nothing. No expectations at all mentality is a foreign concept to me.

This method of analysis is the equivalent of judging a company's performance weekly and monthly, as opposed to quarterly and annually

This method of analysis is the equivalent of judging a company's performance weekly and monthly, as opposed to quarterly and annually
I'm evaluated daily. And weekly. And monthly, as well as quarterly and annually. I'm also evaluated historically. But I'm not in the college football business.

Games aren't played every day, so you can't evaluate it that way. They are only played during a 4 month season. So you couldn't really apply that to a company. Unless it's a seasonal company. So you are saying you don't like a week to week evaluation of your football team. Why don't you just say that instead of an apples to oranges analogy.

What I proposed was a number of phases to consider as evaluation of progress. Not simply wait a few years, then look back and see what happened. That doesn't make any sense to me. But it makes sense to you, so ok. We can agree to disagree on that.

That’s more phases than all of Del Webb’s retirement communities put together.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back