• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

DiNardo on Scott Frost

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date
I like Frost...a lot, but he is young. Is it possible that Frost is a bit too cocky about his own ability? I know a coach has to be self confident, but overconfidence can be a detriment. SF has been a winner on every level and that can sometimes lead to overconfidence or cockiness. The struggles he has had this year might be a plus in the long run if it leads to positive retrospection. Him not growing and becoming better as a HC is something I dont really want to think about at this point.

Last edited:

Dabo did not have venables in the beginning, BV was at OU
And many on the OU board called him Brent Vulnerables....they were not all big fans of his.
Let’s try to keep it apples to apples. Dabo got to build off a #14 ranked 2006 class, a #16 ranked 2007 class and a #9 ranked 2008 class. I’m thinking those might have been a smidge better than Scott got to build on. I’m also curious as to the number of transfers both dealt with, considering the current ease of jumping from team to team.

It’s easy to try to create examples, but you need to look at just how different the details might be.
Talent in terms of star averages was similar. I used rivals. If you’re saying there’s a huge difference between #16 and #20 not sure I’d agree. Basically your argument in this post is that dabo’s early successes can be attributed to good talent. Which Frost didn’t and/or doesn’t have. So we shouldn’t expect similar results.
Not gonna buy that.

Last edited:
Dinardo's comments amount to little...he is basically saying that SF and staff will work harder because of the loss. He's right, because SF and staff weren't very sharp after halftime. They made errors...hopefully, ones that they will correct in the same way they correct our players' errors. I'm pretty sure that SF does a self-evaluation (and staff) after every game.

Last edited:
And many on the OU board called him Brent Vulnerables....they were not all big fans of his.

Talent in terms of star averages was similar. I used rivals. If you’re saying there’s a huge difference between #16 and #20 not sure I’d agree. Basically your argument in this post is that dabo’s early successes can be attributed to good talent. Which Frost didn’t and/or doesn’t have. So w shouldn’t expect similar results.
Not gonna buy that.
You just make things too easy. I understand you went to school for a long time, but that doesn’t mean you know what you are talking about.

In 2006:
-we were ranked 21, they were 14, so yes, I’m seeing that as a definite difference. To back that, they added 2 5*, 4 4*, and 12 3*. We added 5 4*, and 15 3*.

In 2007:
-we were 19, the were 16, which is much closer, but still giving them the advantage.

In 2008:
-we were 24, they were 9, so that’s a large gap. Add in that rating was based on 1 5*, 11 4* and 11 3* players. We had 3 4*, and according to 247, 24 3* players in that class.

Those classes gave Clemson 3 5*, and 20 4* players. We added 0 5*, 14 4*. Which roster looks a little better?

You just make things too easy. I understand you went to school for a long time, but that doesn’t mean you know what you are talking about.

In 2006:
-we were ranked 21, they were 14, so yes, I’m seeing that as a definite difference. To back that, they added 2 5*, 4 4*, and 12 3*. We added 5 4*, and 15 3*.

In 2007:
-we were 19, the were 16, which is much closer, but still giving them the advantage.

In 2008:
-we were 24, they were 9, so that’s a large gap. Add in that rating was based on 1 5*, 11 4* and 11 3* players. We had 3 4*, and according to 247, 24 3* players in that class.

Those classes gave Clemson 3 5*, and 20 4* players. We added 0 5*, 14 4*. Which roster looks a little better?

Ok. You’re hung up on the talent being better at Clemson when Dani took over. Ok. So there’s your argument. Don’t expect Frost to win at the same rate because of that said discrepancy. Ok.
Lower expectations for you. Higher for me. Agree to disagree.

Ok. You’re hung up on the talent being better at Clemson when Dani took over. Ok. So there’s your argument. Don’t expect Frost to win at the same rate because of that said discrepancy. Ok.

I think we all have the same high expectations. We just disagree on how long it will take to get to that point.

There's so many out of work coaches and AD's with overinflated egos here. Nebraska is not Clemson. Nebraska is not Oklahoma nor is it Colorado or any other comparison people want to make. Frost isn't any of those other coaches either. No one here knows what's going on on the coaches offices or the locker room. Very few here know enough about schemes, both offensive and defensive, to do anything more than flap their arms and regurgitate buzz words they picked up on social media. This is a wholesale rebuild. A total renovation. Everyone needs to chill the eff out.

There's so many out of work coaches and AD's with overinflated egos here. Nebraska is not Clemson. Nebraska is not Oklahoma nor is it Colorado or any other comparison people want to make. Frost isn't any of those other coaches either. No one here knows what's going on on the coaches offices or the locker room. Very few here know enough about schemes, both offensive and defensive, to do anything more than flap their arms and regurgitate buzz words they picked up on social media. This is a wholesale rebuild. A total renovation. Everyone needs to chill the eff out.

I agree to an extent. Losing to Colorado for me really isn't the problem, I truly had a bad feeling going into the game, for me it was the fact that they just didn't play well in the second half and lost the game. I know its a rebuild and will take some time. They just haven't looked real good out of the gate so far. I know they can turn it around, it needs to start tomorrow.

Absolutely! I don’t expect, demand, measure, judge or assume the results should be the same as Clemson. And just for grins, how many of the years leading up to Dabo’s breakout did they only manage 4 wins?

I’m a realist, I hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. I think every fan should take a look at the information, facts and data if they want to actually give an educated opinion. If they don’t want to do that, then when giving an opinion it might good to kick it off with, ‘I really haven’t looked at any of the information about the team, but I think they should be really good, because we always used to be’. That might help explain some of those opinions shared.

I think we all have the same high expectations. We just disagree on how long it will take to get to that point.
Sure, but's it's like every time someone pulls out a positive take on 'hey, that coach did it'. There are excuses for how that shouldn't happen with us.
The positive sunshine pumpers want to squash any sentiment that we should be better than we are. Which, ironically, is more negative than the negativity that we are not good.
There are so many excuses. Not reasons, but excuses with some people. I've never seen so many. I was going to list them but decided not to.
Just my favorite one: We don't have the talent to win. But when we do win, we will get the talent. Oh boy. What a paradox.

I think it's ok if Frost loses a handful of games year two. And inspires us on the recruiting front. That's the blueprint I've seen and can expect. Takes a few years to build a team that competes for conference championships. Then a few more to win one and do great things. So I'm ok with some setbacks. So far though we've had 9 (with Frost). I'm not sure what the over/under is on how many years Frost needs to compete at a high level as you mention.

I think the negativity towards those that expect to win now has gotten really old, as if expecting to lose is a positive thing.

Absolutely! I don’t expect, demand, measure, judge or assume the results should be the same as Clemson. And just for grins, how many of the years leading up to Dabo’s breakout did they only manage 4 wins?

I’m a realist, I hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. I think every fan should take a look at the information, facts and data if they want to actually give an educated opinion. If they don’t want to do that, then when giving an opinion it might good to kick it off with, ‘I really haven’t looked at any of the information about the team, but I think they should be really good, because we always used to be’. That might help explain some of those opinions shared.

OK. So what are your reasons (information, facts and data/educated opinion) for us to be successful this year? Which teams to you expect us to win against. Maybe predict an upset or two?

Sure, but's it's like every time someone pulls out a positive take on 'hey, that coach did it'. There are excuses for how that shouldn't happen with us.
The positive sunshine pumpers want to squash any sentiment that we should be better than we are. Which, ironically, is more negative than the negativity that we are not good.
There are so many excuses. Not reasons, but excuses with some people. I've never seen so many. I was going to list them but decided not to.
Just my favorite one: We don't have the talent to win. But when we do win, we will get the talent. Oh boy. What a paradox.

I think it's ok if Frost loses a handful of games year two. And inspires us on the recruiting front. That's the blueprint I've seen and can expect. Takes a few years to build a team that competes for conference championships. Then a few more to win one and do great things. So I'm ok with some setbacks. So far though we've had 9 (with Frost). I'm not sure what the over/under is on how many years Frost needs to compete at a high level as you mention.

I think the negativity towards those that expect to win now has gotten really old, as if expecting to lose is a positive thing.

Just remind yourself that 1)everyone is mad they lost that game. And 2)How you are critical is a key factor. And I'm not singling you out at all, but I saw a lot of criticisms on this board the day after the game that were simply absurd. There are lots of people on here (***, MABC, OHW, etc) that are critical without throwing out the hot take of the day.
Last Saturday sucked. But all of their goals are in front of them. Don't let CU beat you twice.

I like Frost...a lot, but he his young. Is it possible that Frost is a bit too cocky about his own ability? I know a coach has to be self confident, but overconfidence is can be a detriment. SF has been a winner on every level and that can sometimes lead to overconfidence or cockiness. The struggles he has had this year might be a plus in the long run if it leads to positive retrospection. Him not growing and becoming better as a HC is something I dont really want to think about at this point.
[/QUOTE]
IMO yes.

OK. So what are your reasons (information, facts and data/educated opinion) for us to be successful this year? Which teams to you expect us to win against. Maybe predict an upset or two?

This is kind of a weird ask. My concern is for this week. I worry about next week after this game. Predicting outcomes and upsets weeks out when we don’t know what our health or an opponent’s health isn’t practical. And Frost being Frost, we don’t know day to day, much less week to week who is healthy, or how guys are actually practicing. And not to sound corny, but I’m a believer in focusing on getting better day by day. If you want a prediction for this week, 35-21 Huskers, but we don’t get the 14 point lead until later in the game.

I think we are still a little fragile, and I think the issues in the middle of the line limit our offense. Beyond this week, I have zero opinion.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back