• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

DiNardo on Scott Frost

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date
Who cares what a lifetime .400 coach thinks?? Scott Frost has the most potential of any younger P-5 coach since Dabo. It took Dabo 6 1/2 years to make Clemson a champion. Before that was Clemson even in the conversation? We all need to take a step back and forget the past and let Scott build this thing

Yes it did take Dabo that long to win a national championship. But his first year 2009 he won nine games and his bowl game, including a win over #8 Miami.

His third year he won the ACC Championship and went to the Orange Bowl.

I'll take a conference championship next year, if Frost is on the same timeline.

This is for the most part what he was saying IMO. A loss after you were up by 17 in the 3rd qtr should get you to look at what went wrong. It should make changes. As Nardo said not to core values but a long look at some details.
Changes are needed without a doubt.

I don’t think we are at a point where we want to start throwing coaches out the door, but you have to wonder how a first year coach with lesser talent at Colorado could completely out-coach Frost and Company in that game last week.

He was also out-coached in the first game, and the statement he made in the presser after the South Alabama game didn’t exactly fill me with confidence when he said that South Alabama did some different things than they had shown on film. Was he taken by surprise by this? Isn’t figuring stuff like this out during a game one of the reason Frost is making a crap load of money?

I wouldn't necessarily say that core values are not part of the problem either, based on some quotes in this article. https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...64d81723-6946-55d9-84f1-072247cb9ccc.amp.html

Of particular note are the quotes from Austin Allen and Erik Chinander. "Tight end Austin Allen told reporters that he didn't see enough energy on the sideline before kickoffs in last week's game. He saw more of that sort of energy last season, he said. Although it's just one young man's opinion, it gives you pause.

Nebraska defensive coordinator Erik Chinander spoke in plain terms about his unit's inability to finish the job at CU. Learning to finish is often part of a program's growth process, he said. He's right. Learning how to turn the knife is an art. Even so, it was disappointing to hear him say that some Husker defenders lacked a sense of urgency against the Buffaloes. Seriously?"

Who cares what a lifetime .400 coach thinks?? Scott Frost has the most potential of any younger P-5 coach since Dabo. It took Dabo 6 1/2 years to make Clemson a champion. Before that was Clemson even in the conversation? We all need to take a step back and forget the past and let Scott build this thing
As he talks about a .357 coach at Nebraska?:O O:

Well, after finally watching DiNardo's little blurb, I think everyone is reading too much into what he said. To me what he said is a fairly big Captain Obvious moment. I am sure SF didn't sleep a whole lot last Saturday night. I am sure he started self evaluation right away. I would hope he saw what we saw. He didn't practice what he preached in the second half of the game offensively. He wasn't bold in his play calling and allowed Colorado to hang around and get back into the game.

Changes are needed without a doubt.

I don’t think we are at a point where we want to start throwing coaches out the door, but you have to wonder how a first year coach with lesser talent at Colorado could completely out-coach Frost and Company in that game last week.

He was also out-coached in the first game, and the statement he made in the presser after the South Alabama game didn’t exactly fill me with confidence when he said that South Alabama did some different things than they had shown on film. Was he taken by surprise by this? Isn’t figuring stuff like this out during a game one of the reason Frost is making a crap load of money?

I wouldn't necessarily say that core values are not part of the problem either, based on some quotes in this article. https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...64d81723-6946-55d9-84f1-072247cb9ccc.amp.html

Of particular note are the quotes from Austin Allen and Erik Chinander. "Tight end Austin Allen told reporters that he didn't see enough energy on the sideline before kickoffs in last week's game. He saw more of that sort of energy last season, he said. Although it's just one young man's opinion, it gives you pause.

Nebraska defensive coordinator Erik Chinander spoke in plain terms about his unit's inability to finish the job at CU. Learning to finish is often part of a program's growth process, he said. He's right. Learning how to turn the knife is an art. Even so, it was disappointing to hear him say that some Husker defenders lacked a sense of urgency against the Buffaloes. Seriously?"

Yep. More than a little concerning. There's a big picture I keep getting reminders of, usually after some negativity. So I'm trying to improve as most kool-aiders don't want to, at this point, address some of the hard questions/concerns. Which I really do understand.

Having said that, I do like the Dabo references that have been going around. I posted a long (incredibly long) analysis of how Dabo got to where he is, and it wasn't without losing to some really bad teams along the way, including blowouts.

Frost has a chance this week to get it together. If not, then we really do have enormous issues outside of the expected re-build.

We have a LOT of excuses going around. Tons of excuses. But as Riley and his bike are more distant in the rear view mirror we should have less, not more of those.

The OL is taking it on the chin. If we are relegated to waiting for Frost to recruit 10 guys and develop them for 3 years then that would be ridiculous. We didn't hire Frost as an offensive line coach. He's got plenty of weapons and has had ample time to start showing progress. Some people I think want to just fast forward a few years without immediate expectations. We should see significant progress this week. If not, I'll be quick to be reminded that did I think we would be Alabama at this point...

Dabo did not have venables in the beginning, BV was at OU
No, but I believe he had Kevin Steele who most regard as one of the best in the business. My point wasn't to start running coaches off but I hope Frost has the foresight to strive for continuity but realize that if you have a weak link on your staff you need to act quickly and go for the best. I am not in a position to evaluate his staff but I can say I have some concerns. Continuity is great but just like we have said doing it in the AAC is not the same as in the B1G in terms of talent and schemes, you can honestly ask the question "is our staff the best we should expect and do they have what it takes to recruit and teach championship level football in the B1G?"

I feel like where at that point in a episode of Property Brothers where they discover that the cost of the rebuild/remodel just doubled because they found carpenter ants destroyed the wood underneath the old linoleum floor. "It's way worse than we thought! We need more time and money!"
Fortunately we have the money part covered but we certainly might require more time... ;)

DiNardo maybe referring to the doubt creeping into Husker fandom about this season the CU loss created. Scott has talked about how "fragile" the team is, well the CU loss has made Husker fandom somewhat "fragile" as well.
This is especially true if the worst were to happen and Northern Illinois recreates it 2017 upset tomorrow night.
I was expecting to be 4-0 headed into the Ohio State game and have ESPN Game Day come to Lincoln.
Now, I'm afraid that we could be 1-3 and experience another 62-3 collapse to OSU!
At 66 y/o I can't take much more of this "not knowing how to win crap! :(.

Losing by 40 points to team you should beat is a devastating loss! Losing to a team that's not great but fairly equal in talent in OT at their stadium is hardly devastating imo. Drives me crazy these so called experts judging HCSF after 14 games? Mistakes were made in Boulder which I'm confident Frost will correct as the seasons move forward. For crying out loud we're 1-1 not 1-10 with all our goals still in tact for this season.

I'm going to see how the ENTIRE season plays out before pushing any panic buttons...

Mo Barry said it best "...no one's going to care about Colorado when we are in the Big Ten Championship..."

People are reading too much into a simple comment. It could mean that Frost is still a young head coach, and that it was a key learning experience for him. I've had similar moments that have shaped how I approach games and situations. There are certain games throughout a career that stick with you for various reasons. I still vividly remember a game my very first season of coaching in 1997, and there is one from last season that I will never forget. Both memories are very, very different, but they continue to influence me to this day.

Yes it did take Dabo that long to win a national championship. But his first year 2009 he won nine games and his bowl game, including a win over #8 Miami.

His third year he won the ACC Championship and went to the Orange Bowl.

I'll take a conference championship next year, if Frost is on the same timeline.

Let’s try to keep it apples to apples. Dabo got to build off a #14 ranked 2006 class, a #16 ranked 2007 class and a #9 ranked 2008 class. I’m thinking those might have been a smidge better than Scott got to build on. I’m also curious as to the number of transfers both dealt with, considering the current ease of jumping from team to team.

It’s easy to try to create examples, but you need to look at just how different the details might be.

He's just saying that SF needs to reevaluate a few things and make some tweaks. I didn't hear anything about making wholesale changes. Every coach eventually has a gut-punch loss, but you learn from it and become more sensitive to what works and what doesn't work. That's all he is saying imo

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back