• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4th straight overtime loss without even scoring

5 and 9 is in the awful category for me. 7-7 would be in the average category. 9 and 5 would be in the good category. 11 and 3 would be in the great category. Just for reference.

You can go from awful to great. It's done all over the place. Too many examples to list. So of course I hope it happens. But it's ok to point out what's awful or just not good. It really is ok.

Considering what was inherited, it hasn't been awful. It's been an expected transition that isn't built on fool's gold. I get it that our society is based on instant gratification, but that won't be the case here. I have full faith and confidence in this staff and that they will turn this program around in the right way.

Considering what was inherited, it hasn't been awful. It's been an expected transition that isn't built on fool's gold. I get it that our society is based on instant gratification, but that won't be the case here. I have full faith and confidence in this staff and that they will turn this program around in the right way.

I had to re-visit some things this morning. Someone posted about Clemson and Sweeney. He didn't exactly come out of the gate successful. It was a great reminder of transition and variables and expectations. Clemson has historically been a good team. They've had troubles over decades trying to get over the hump. They did with Dabo. So if you look at that post and see what he inherited versus Frost. Similar talent. It took him two years to start getting some difference makers. In year 5 he had amassed significant talent. But not top 5 classes. What he did was get solid classes, similar to what we have had. The big difference was those 5* guys everyone covets.

What is interesting is he had a winning record his first full year. Then had a losing season. He then won conference championships, but had big time losses during that span.

So this is more on expectation. You can expect a great coach (and staff as you have pointed out in another thread) to be successful recruiting to your system from really day 1. You can take what you inherited and do ok, buy not great. You can win conference championships but still get blown out several times during the season and in your bowl game.

So I guess I'm hung up on the 4-8 which I think shouldn't have happened. I know I know cancelled opener and such. Having said that, I guess it's ok to lose games you shouldn't and still be in the process of building your program.

What will keep me in this mode will be to see the recruiting and if we can get some momentum there. Dabo did it without winning. He hit home runs during a losing season. He had guys on the bench as freshman waiting to explode. So I look at our youth and it looks just ok to me. AM is good. MW is good. Wandale and a few others on both sides of the ball. So maybe a little better than just ok.

So we can all be positive on the future however distant with Frost. But that doesn't mean I can't point out the obvious dysfunctions and current state of affairs which I'm certain Clemson supporters were doing in Dabo's first 3 years.

I would like to have beaten Colorado as they weren't very good IMO. And I would like to win the games we should going forward. And I will keep beating that drum as I think it's fair to do as a fan, especially one that is uber tired of the wait til next year outlook.

I could coach Clemson or Alabama right now to a bowl game. But I couldn't have built the program to where it is. So if we are agreeing that Frost is a builder that's great. But right now I want him to also be able to coach his team to wins, especially the ones we should. And there are a lot of them on the schedule. There was one last week.

Last edited:
I give you that he didn’t inherit a ton of talent, though on paper we shouldn’t be as dire as we like to pretend. We also had some culture problems but what school doesn’t during a coaching transition. With that being said we are 5-9. Lost to Colorado twice, Troy, and looked very mediocre against South Alabama. We have one win, maybe 2 in two years that I would deem impressive and that was against Michigan State in a snowstorm with a terrible offense. I guess you could call Minnesota an impressive win. We played a good game but still lost against Ohio State, Iowa, and Northwestern. We all hope for the best but I honestly thought we’d have a better start to the Frost era than 5-9 and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t concerned at least a bit.

Guys, all I'm saying is it's only been 2 weeks this year. Nebraska lost by 3 points in OT to a former rival. They shouldn't have lost and are better than them, but it happened. Before I hit the panic button I want to see how they respond the next two weeks.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back