• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The sky isn’t falling

Three things tempering my expectations.

I thought Mills would be better than he's shown so far.

The whole Center/Jurgens situation is a big liability--hopefully improving but less than ideal at at a position that touches the ball every down on Offense. I may have been in denial about how important not having better depth/experience there is.

The Pickering not kickering thing is frightening. Could cost us a couple of games. Hope he's back soon.

After yesterday’s loss, Frost and Co. are a combined 5-9 @ Nebraska.

6 of Nebraska’s losses in that time have been by 5 points or less, and the avg. margin (including the Michigan butt kicking, is right around 11).

I saw a better team on the field yesterday than I saw last week. And I see a better product on the field this year than I saw last year.

The sky isn’t falling. Frost is still the guy. Adrian is still the QB. If we put a better product on the field next week than what we did this week, and continue to do so, we’ll be just fine.
I agree that Frost is still the guy. That being said he shoulders a yuge part of the blame for the play calling against CU. It would seem NU coaching staff should have foreseen CU adjustments at 1/2 time and had schemes in place to counteract. That clearly didn't happen.
Oh, close only counts in (pick your weapon) not in football games.

hmmph... what do peers and knowledgeable people know... You watched the Colorado game.... that spoke some, didn't it?

Even great coaches have good and bad games. This wasn't his best game, but Frost's system really requires a spread of talent around and to have everyone playing on the same page. Martinez didn't have the best game and there were a lot of breakdowns along with people missing.

As we get more in sync, this team could improve quickly, IMO

Three things tempering my expectations.

I thought Mills would be better than he's shown so far.

The whole Center/Jurgens situation is a big liability--hopefully improving but less than ideal at at a position that touches the ball every down on Offense. I may have been in denial about how important not having better depth/experience there is.

The Pickering not kickering thing is frightening. Could cost us a couple of games. Hope he's back soon.

Mills is the big one for me. He hasn't shown a lot yet. Pickering is scary, but what can you do about it. I think the line and Jurgens make steady improvement throughout the season.

Maybe we just don't have all the right pieces and/or good enough athletes yet, but Frost doesn't look like Frost (his offense) and Martinez doesn't look like Martinez. This is concerning. It's probably just a year of growing pains. At least that's what I hope. Next there are no longer any excuses as almost the entire offense will be back.

Last edited:
I agree the sky isn't falling but as far as seeing a better team....... I don't know about that.

The team I saw walk off the field vs Iowa, I feel beats the team that walked off the field vs Colorado this weekend 12x out of 10.....

I'm at a point where as I'm not going to keep bringing up "well we only loss by 5 points".........to make myself field good about a loss. We didn't bring Frost to Lincoln to keep from losing games by more than 5 points.

This weekend I saw a lot of what I have saw by the previous 2 staffs before Frost.......a team looking for an identity......

This team started off being aggressive. QB runs. Playaction..... Second half, totally lost their aggression. The look to be in survival mode and desperation started to show up in different parts of each series.

We are supposed to be faster. We are supposed to be stronger. We are supposed to be better conditioned...... We are supposed to be a more equipped unit under Frost from the Riley & Pelini teams......yet.........I'm seeing the same thing.

I HATE being cautious when wanting to talk about my expectations for how good of a team my Huskers will be, but truthfully.......I have no idea what team will take the field.......I want to at least get back to believing that my Huskers can compete with any team they face on that specific Saturday. I haven't felt that way since maybe the 2010 season.
I share your frustration.Just don’t know what to say. We have a long way to go. We have been losing so much for so long,I don’t get nearly as upset as I used to.Love our Huskers,but was expecting more than what I have seen thus far.Gotta keep the faith.Just keep supporting and hoping for our resurgence.GBR.

I share your frustration.Just don’t know what to say. We have a long way to go. We have been losing so much for so long,I don’t get nearly as upset as I used to.Love our Huskers,but was expecting more than what I have seen thus far.Gotta keep the faith.Just keep supporting and hoping for our resurgence.GBR.
I will say this and maybe it was just because I was at the game. I hurt more after that loss than at any time in many years. It sucks but that may be a good thing that it seems I’m more invested now.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back