• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Oh MO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frost did not seem concerned with altitude. And now we hear it is/was a concern.

Good grief, let’s try to use some logic, shall we? A coach isn’t going to publicly comment on a concern like that, not just because of how it can mentally affect our players, but also so it doesn’t bolster an opponent. I lived at 5,000 feet, and only the dimmest of bulbs would believe it isn’t a factor, and we know SF isn’t an idiot. Knowing it, and saying it, are not always going to go hand in hand.

Neither! This isn't the first time we've played at CU. The coaches new about altitude and apparently didn't consider it a factor and did little to prepare for it. Which goes back to my original comment: "Coaching and Preparation".

I haven't listened to any of the post game or recent post practice interviews. They mean little until it is shown on the field. We heard many of the same things last year and the years before. NU needs to prove it on the field and for the rest of the games this season. It burns mean that we are still getting beat by teams with less talent and first year coaches!

For the umteenth time, you can run all the gassers you want, you can’t train for altitude unless you train in lower oxygen environments. And not all react identically to reduced oxygen intake. We were involved in swimming in Reno, and you’d see fear in the eyes of Olympic level swimmers who were coming up from San Diego or the Bay Area to compete, and that was after just warming up.

In the first half when things were clicking, it was like everything we were doing was running downhill, and success makes pushing through physical challenges a lot easier. In the second half, when we were flat, and execution wasn’t as sharp, that changed to running on level ground, and pushing through gets tougher, especially when your opponent isn’t dealing with the same feeling. As the game got tighter, and we lost our mojo, the flat ground turned into uphill, and the buffalo jumped on our backs. They saw we were struggling, and it gave them even greater motivation to push us harder.

It’s real, it’s very real, and it’s a reason I’m also disappointed we didn’t focus more on trying to bury them early, and keep the intensity higher. If an altitude team can hang with you, they will have the advantage late. Just ask Purdue how much they liked the last 15 minutes of their game in Reno.

For the umteenth time, you can run all the gassers you want, you can’t train for altitude unless you train in lower oxygen environments. And not all react identically to reduced oxygen intake. We were involved in swimming in Reno, and you’d see fear in the eyes of Olympic level swimmers who were coming up from San Diego or the Bay Area to compete, and that was after just warming up.

In the first half when things were clicking, it was like everything we were doing was running downhill, and success makes pushing through physical challenges a lot easier. In the second half, when we were flat, and execution wasn’t as sharp, that changed to running on level ground, and pushing through gets tougher, especially when your opponent isn’t dealing with the same feeling. As the game got tighter, and we lost our mojo, the flat ground turned into uphill, and the buffalo jumped on our backs. They saw we were struggling, and it gave them even greater motivation to push us harder.

It’s real, it’s very real, and it’s a reason I’m also disappointed we didn’t focus more on trying to bury them early, and keep the intensity higher. If an altitude team can hang with you, they will have the advantage late. Just ask Purdue how much they liked the last 15 minutes of their game in Reno.

Or Missouri when they were in Laramie two weeks ago.

Good grief, let’s try to use some logic, shall we? A coach isn’t going to publicly comment on a concern like that, not just because of how it can mentally affect our players, but also so it doesn’t bolster an opponent. I lived at 5,000 feet, and only the dimmest of bulbs would believe it isn’t a factor, and we know SF isn’t an idiot. Knowing it, and saying it, are not always going to go hand in hand.
Good grief. Yes let’s just use the excuse after the game. Good logic.

Actually, the opposite is true of 97. They were ranked behind Michigan and needed an impressive performance to impress voters. They didn't get one.
Is ‘97 the game where CU was the beneficiary of CU players stopping Ahman Green’s forward progress, holding him up for 5 seconds and the refs not blowing a whistle until they successfully pulled the ball free from his arms? That was special!

And I do think the altitude can get to you a little.
I agree that the altitude can get to people as I see it all the time around here, especially when hiking or trail running. Similar to the humidity where I lived in Florida and Mississippi. I know when I still lived in the South, people would come down from wherever, and just be wiped out after an hour outside, and us locals were like, "it's not really that bad".

Good grief. Yes let’s just use the excuse after the game. Good logic.
Is there a reason you choose to ignore the obvious? Either you are feeling like arguing a losing point, or the challenges of age are rearing their ugly head.

So it’s win them all, or it’s not a factor? Brilliant.

Should have used the sarcasm emoji. I actually agree with you. In such a close game it seemed like a difference maker exacerbated by the Offense’s inability to strong together first downs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back