• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Oh MO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The internet leaves a lot of room for interpretation, which is not always a good thing. I like Mo, heck I like the team and think things will get better. Just not sure you say (whatever you mean by it) what he said.
I think you are onto something.... there's always going to be interpretation especially based on who said what. Heck, i'm doing it just taking his comments at face value rather than thinking there was more to it. I think since it came from Barry, I have no doubt in my mind we didn't let off the gas defensively. If it would have came from another member, it may have given me more pause. But Mo Barry doesn't have anything left to give after football games, he's the defninition of effort.

Grasping at what? Mo thought the same thing I did at half. Not mad at him for saying it. Are you trying to argue that the players did NOT get complacent to some extent and then the pucker factor took over when it began to snowball?

This is the same pattern that has been repeated over and over for a decade and a half. The quicksand...to reference The Replacements.

We need some experience closing some games out so it becomes a habit. Right now the “habit” is...We’re ahead, how can this go wrong? Oh, no, it’s going wrong, how do we stop it? Here it goes again...
I'm arguing that a player said they were dominating a team and thinking they were going to blow them out, because they were at the time he said he was thinking it. Trying to argue that the players got complacent or didn't is impossible to prove, so I would never go one way or the other there. All i'm saying is that Mo was ready to stomp them into the ground and felt it with how they were playing.

If I had to guess, he would probably tell you he made that statement because he's not sure what went wrong, because it wasn't from lack of effort on his part or thinking they already won. Mo Barry wanted to win 70-0, and they were on their way to stomping them.

On the conditioning piece . . . I think you cannot overlook the altitude combined with the heat with a hearty helping of offensive ineptitude dooming the Blackshirts in the 4th qtr. The "Mile High" factor is real. So yes, the defense was gassed--but the team who trains all day long at altitude--all other things being eaqual or nearly equal--has a distinct advantage and it showed.
What's interesting, is Colorado's longest scoring drive was 3:07, i'm pretty sure we won TOP in the 2nd half, yet we were the ones that looked out of shape.

What's interesting, is Colorado's longest scoring drive was 3:07, i'm pretty sure we won TOP in the 2nd half, yet we were the ones that looked out of shape.

I was surprised to see the game summary and find out that TOP was dead-even in the 3rd quarter and +18 seconds CU in the 4th quarter. A common narrative post-game was our defense was on the field the entire 3rd quarter and got gassed. The altitude was probably a factor, but I think our conditioning (or lack thereof) was the bigger story.

I was surprised to see the game summary and find out that TOP was dead-even in the 3rd quarter and +18 seconds CU in the 4th quarter. A common narrative post-game was our defense was on the field the entire 3rd quarter and got gassed. The altitude was probably a factor, but I think our conditioning (or lack thereof) was the bigger story.
Probably a combination of things. Did they have more depth offensively than we had defensively? Training at altitude? Tempo?

Which ones? Doing your job perfectly on each and every play is too much to be expected of any player. Saying they are not committed to their craft and desire to play at the highest level is a rather presumptuous comment to make from the guy watching from his couch. Sometimes you just get beat and just maybe we aren't coached as well as we thought or have all the talent we have been told we have. I said this in the summer for weeks that though we were greatly improved the last half of the season we still were hanging out hats on losses and 4 wins that in the scheme of things were not that impressive. All I can do is hope that SF is the answer and we can move the needle on the recruiting front. We are not there yet.
doing your job perfectly is doing your job to the best of your ability. did you see that saturday or last saturday. i didn't. we have a number of coasters. it's like around half of the people i've worked with over the years, they would work like hell when the boss was around and as soon as they left the room they were back in coaster mode. did you see 11 guys performing at their highest level in the second half on each play. colorado must have just been sand bagging it for the better part of 3 quarters.

the teams that throttle other teams never get into the cost mode. That is something that’s not taught over night or in two years. That’s taught from older guys pushing the younger ones. I believe that the older these younger guys get the better we will be at taking it to teams. They won’t want to just beat teams they will want to dominate on every down. Sucks they let up but sometimes old habits die hard.

Great points. Shenault and KD Nixon are both NFL talents and they probably go 5 or 6 deep with capable receivers. They also picked up the tempo.

And a 5th year Sr QB who has a penchant for being a mixed bag but then making some really amazing throws when it counts distributing the ball to those receivers. CU isn't a great team . . . but they can be pretty darn good often enough to hurt NU for some reason. Did it last year, too.

doing your job perfectly is doing your job to the best of your ability. did you see that saturday or last saturday. i didn't. we have a number of coasters. it's like around half of the people i've worked with over the years, they would work like hell when the boss was around and as soon as they left the room they were back in coaster mode. did you see 11 guys performing at their highest level in the second half on each play. colorado must have just been sand bagging it for the better part of 3 quarters.
I saw no lack of effort or giving up. I’m not qualified to say otherwise and my guess is neither are you.

just what qualifications are required. lets deal in facts, not feelings
Maybe you ought to lace em up or get into coaching. It’s a real bold statement when someone watches on tv and accuses finely tuned athletes of not giving effort. I think we got gased and our coaches didn’t put our guys in the best position to succeed. I think there are areas on our team that we don’t have the talent we need to compete. I think we were competing against a pretty damn good quarterback and receivers at least on Saturday. I don’t think anyone on that team quit or didn’t give enough effort. I’ve seen husker teams quit. I was at the game Saturday and I can tell you one thing, there were some busted coverages, bad oline play, questionable play calling, but I didn’t see quit or lack of effort. Congratulations on your diagnosis of what ailes the huskers.

This quote from Mo Barry in today's LJS article by Parker Gabriel (Husker Extra Rewind: Missed tackles, missed assignments fueled late collapse at CU) has me shaking my head:

I felt the first half, I thought it was over with,” senior linebacker Mohamed Barry said. “I thought we were about to just give it to them and it was about to be a blowout. That’s what it should have been. We had them. We was better than that team. In the second half, we didn’t finish.”

I mean I know he's a kid, but he's a SENIOR and CAPTAIN. Such a deadly mentality. How could he not remember some of the meltdowns he's been a part of...just stunning.
Sorry Mo. not buying it. Truth is you got a better effort from the other team in the second half. They started smacking us in the mouth and we weren’t up for it.

Great teams NEVER think like that, because that kind of thinking allows you to relax and you start expecting to coast in. Great teams step on the throat until the coaches put in the back-ups' back-ups. Even then, the starters root on the bbup's.

Last edited:

Maybe you ought to lace em up or get into coaching. It’s a real bold statement when someone watches on tv and accuses finely tuned athletes of not giving effort. I think we got gased and our coaches didn’t put our guys in the best position to succeed. I think there are areas on our team that we don’t have the talent we need to compete. I think we were competing against a pretty damn good quarterback and receivers at least on Saturday. I don’t think anyone on that team quit or didn’t give enough effort. I’ve seen husker teams quit. I was at the game Saturday and I can tell you one thing, there were some busted coverages, bad oline play, questionable play calling, but I didn’t see quit or lack of effort. Congratulations on your diagnosis of what ailes the huskers.
rather than go on and on with you. please point out just where i said they quit. facts please. whiffing on blocks or tackles dose not show lack of effort, it dose show lack of effectiveness. 5 olinemen standing 3 yds downfield and the ball carrier tackled at the los dosent show lack of effort, it shows very poor execution and perhaps understanding. at some point even the naive have to throw up there hands and say wth

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back