• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

BTN Bus Tour

Well looks like they like a lot of what they saw in Gopher land. Liked the d and o lines.

Like how Minnesota is progressing.

You could tell the lack of a great qb is a problem they think they will have.

Tell you what they open with a very salty South Dakota State who have been Top 10 in 1AA the past two seasons. Only team to beat NDSU in 2017 and made the playoff semi-finals.

If they come into that game flat they could lose

Lets put it this way I would rather play South Alabama than South Dakota State

Lack of a great QB is going to cost them in big games

They have covered some teams who would be "facing some challenges" -- like Rutgers, Minnesota a year or two ago, Illinois, etc. Obviously they never say "this team is going to suck this year", but you can gain a lot by watching HOW they say things. Howard Griffith, in particular, is usually pretty expressive when he likes what he sees.

Also, at the end of every show, each guy gives his "best thing he saw today". If they just give some generic comment, you can bet they weren't particularly impressed.
Their job is to hype the league I believe what they say to Sipple and Sam in interviews might be more telling than their Big Ten network comments.

Their job is to hype the league I believe what they say to Sipple and Sam in interviews might be more telling than their Big Ten network comments.

Well if you listen to any of the Pod casts put out by Sipple and Sam I think you can come away with the impression that they are fairly impressed with what they are seeing so far this year. I think they both feel the defense takes a nice jump.

Surprised to hear DiNardo say we have the best QB depth in the B1G. Other teams either have a battle for #1 (without a clear leader), or they don't have a backup for the clear starter (like OhSU). He likes the depth with Vedral and McCaffrey.

Last edited:
They also said this is the first year that our O linemen look like Nebraska linemen. "Even when Bo was here and they were winning" the OL didn't look this good.
Look at the 90s teams. They were big and thick. They were not fat. Under Bo and MR there was a lot of cheese around the middle. Good to see them getting back to being big and strong.

Tell you what they open with a very salty South Dakota State who have been Top 10 in 1AA the past two seasons. Only team to beat NDSU in 2017 and made the playoff semi-finals.

If they come into that game flat they could lose

Lets put it this way I would rather play South Alabama than South Dakota State

Lack of a great QB is going to cost them in big games

For sure.

Odds spread: SDSU +12.5 vs. Rodents -12.5 (Thursday Aug. 29)

Lucked out, Gophers. Face freshman SDSU QB. In 2018, QB Taryn Christion (senior class), named MVC Offensive Player of the Year. Not a pass-happy guy but similar to TA or AM type.

2020 Husker schedule. NU meets SDSU Jackrabbits.

Few years ago (2011?), South Dakota Coyotes beat Gophers. Coyotes was and is much weaker than Jackrabbits.

I was born and raised in Sioux Falls and enrolled one semester in SDSU school. That is why I followed Jackrabbits.

GO JACKS ! BEAT MOLES !

Last edited:

Iowa today. Bus crew said they look about the same as every year (consistent). They were not overwhelmed by any phase of practice. Sounded like they didn't find anything to be excited about, so they're blowing the "consistency" horn.

LOS looks to be good as usual. LBs not as deep. Secondary "banged up for today's practice" so couldn't get a good feel.

Said Iowa is typically a team that starts slow and gets better as the season goes on (which may explain why they occasionally lose to 1-AA teams early...).

Schedule is tough, with the biggest games on the road.

A recurring theme is, "The West is loaded with really great teams".

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back