• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Huskers may be adding another D-1 transfer

6-0, 211 pounds. Doesn't fit the profile coaches are targeting on the recruiting trail for inside or outside. Can he even play LB in this defense or will they move him to safety?

Transferring because he (likely) wasn't in line for major PT at a Mountain West school coming off a 3-9 season. That pencil better not have any lead in it.

But I will definitely say this is a good addition as a walk-on. Heck, he could turn out like Luke Reimer, who knows? But like most walk-ons, you should be pleasantly surprised if they contribute more than special teams. Exceptions are always welcome.
From what I could tell from Coach Ruud, if everyone is healthy, ILB #4 and #5 walk-ons Joey Johnson and Luke Reimer would be pushed down a spot for Henrich. It's great to get another walk-on LB, but there are some scholarship LB's that will have something to say about who starts next year... Henrich, Hannah, etc.

Last edited:
Why would he sit if he redshirted last year. He did not play last year so he would be eligible right?

This is from the Journal Star article this morning. Hopefully he finds a way to become eligible this year and can make his way on special teams at some point this year.

He'll have four years of eligibility remaining. As as a walk-on at NU, Schlager will likely join the for practice when classes start Aug. 26. Because Schlager was a scholarship player in Fort Collins, NCAA transfer rules say he would have to sit out a year as a walk-on at Nebraska unless he got a waiver for immediate eligibility.

Really a quality athlete to get as a walk-on. Giving up a scholarship and had offers at places like North Dakota State/South Dakota, Harvard and Cornell.

Coaches must have wanted him and thought he was worth a walk-on shot after the transfer, and his heart must have wanted to be a Husker.

Would be great to get a waiver as he is the kind of guy who could contribute immediately on special teams.

6-0, 211 pounds. Doesn't fit the profile coaches are targeting on the recruiting trail for inside or outside. Can he even play LB in this defense or will they move him to safety?

Transferring because he (likely) wasn't in line for major PT at a Mountain West school coming off a 3-9 season. That pencil better not have any lead in it.

But I will definitely say this is a good addition as a walk-on. Heck, he could turn out like Luke Reimer, who knows? But like most walk-ons, you should be pleasantly surprised if they contribute more than special teams. Exceptions are always welcome.
I imagine his primary motivation is to finish his football career wearing Scarlet & Cream.... PT is probably secondary in his mind.

If for some miracle he could play on Sundays then he probably believes that he has a better shot at proving his talent here rather than at CSU, but just wearing the home colors is probably his real motivation.

That is get your ass run over size in the big 10. We all love a good walk on story but I would be shocked to see this kid ever get any significant playing time with those measurables. But by doubting his ability you may have committed blasphemy N2FL.

That is get your ass run over size in the big 10. We all love a good walk on story but I would be shocked to see this kid ever get any significant playing time with those measurables. But by doubting his ability you may have committed blasphemy N2FL.
Not sure about his speed/athleticism, but maybe he projects more like a Domann type?

We'd have to see how big he gets, but the key in the B10 and in college football today is to have a variety of different types and skills that can be on the field against the wide variety of teams we see. Sure we see Wiscy and Iowa and other teams that want to play in the phone booth, but we also see Purdue and teams that are going to make our LB's play in space.

This kid can play in space and I suspect he can find a role on a team like ours. It's one of the great advantages of the walk on program that we can build a deeper roster with more of this different skill sets.

We'd have to see how big he gets, but the key in the B10 and in college football today is to have a variety of different types and skills that can be on the field against the wide variety of teams we see. Sure we see Wiscy and Iowa and other teams that want to play in the phone booth, but we also see Purdue and teams that are going to make our LB's play in space.

This kid can play in space and I suspect he can find a role on a team like ours. It's one of the great advantages of the walk on program that we can build a deeper roster with more of this different skill sets.
I thought the most interesting thing about the Iowa LB transfer was the news about Iowa transitioning to a 4-2-5 defense. With more B1G teams going to the spread, they must have concluded that they needed more athleticism on the field.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back