• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Question from the radio yesterday

In my opinion Bo valued the Nebraska kid more than MR did. I have no problem with out of state walk ons. I remember a guy by the name of I.M. Hipp

I am not talking about walk-ons, I am talking about giving scholarships to players from out of state that were a stretch when he could have given them to a kid from in state that was just as much a stretch. If you are going to take a chance take a chance closer to home.

I am not talking about walk-ons, I am talking about giving scholarships to players from out of state that were a stretch when he could have given them to a kid from in state that was just as much a stretch. If you are going to take a chance take a chance closer to home.
well I guess the coaches know more about what is taking a chance than we do and what constitutes a stretch.

In my opinion Bo valued the Nebraska kid more than MR did. I have no problem with out of state walk ons. I remember a guy by the name of I.M. Hipp
This is kind of off topic, but I would guess it has become harder financially for out-of-state players to walk-on compared to the past given how tuition costs have exploded.

Are you saying he won't walk on? Dad can afford it. :)
Trust me his dad Sammy "The Bull" can afford it but why pass up a scholarship elsewhere to walk on. He's been on SF pretty hard saying what are you waiting for? SF told him to be patient. I agree with *** when he say's what position would he play. I predict NU will eventually give him an offer. Really good athlete but has had some injuries. Hope he has a big senior year. Really good kid from an awesome family.

With tuition being 9 times what it was back in the 80’s I see it being more difficult to convince instate guys to walk on to UNL if they’ve been offered full rides elsewhere
The difference is if some of these kids are considering NDSU or SDSU for example … they're not getting a full ride … and they're paying out-of-state tuition for the portion of the scholarship they don't have. If a kid is going to Ohio or other similar non-P5 schools they're still bearing costs (travel …) they wouldn't have at NU.

If a kid is getting P5 attention out-of-state then they should already automatically be on SF's radar.

Do the walk on's get anything like a reduction in tuition, or the monthly stipend or any other aide. I think they at least have access to the training table and academic center but not certain on that either

Do the walk on's get anything like a reduction in tuition, or the monthly stipend or any other aide. I think they at least have access to the training table and academic center but not certain on that either
My recollection is they don’t get tuition but might get access to some funds.

This is kind of off topic, but I would guess it has become harder financially for out-of-state players to walk-on compared to the past given how tuition costs have exploded.
Tuition has skyrocketed (trust me, I’m painfully aware). However, out of state enrollment has skyrocketed too. So there are probably suburban types who can come. Kids from Eden Prairie, Bloomington, Overland Park etc.

Sure it’s much tougher for kids from more modest circumstances. I do think the athletic department does help coach potential walk-ons as to what financial aid is available. Many a good student at Nebraska can come to Lincoln on a Buffett Scholarship. If they actually want to see the field though, may have to surrender that type of aid.

This was brought up by Damon Benning on the radio yesterday, even before the Schlager transfer from Colorado State news. Now that we are adding another walk-on, it makes me even more curious about it.

Putting a fence around the state of Nebraska is an extremely high priority for Scott Frost and Nebraska when it comes to recruiting. In my opinion, the next guy in line to get that scholarship offer from the Cornhuskers is Isaac Gifford from Lincoln Southeast. He has a couple FBS offers, one from a P5. The question that DB brought up that i've been pondering is, with all of the hype Luke Reimer is getting in camp, with how highly thought of Joey Johnson is (stay healthy young man), and now Schlager transferring in from Colorado State, how do these 3 walk-ons performing well early in their careers affect a scholarship offer to Gifford? What I mean is, you brought in Snodgrass, Hannah, and Henrich last year, Joey Johnson is a redshirt freshman, Luke Reimer is a true freshman, and now Schlager is coming in as a redshirt freshman.

I don't know if the answer is out there, and this is exactly what the walk-on program is supposed to do, as we need more competition and quite frankly the depth isn't great at LB. The projections that these coaches have to do with who can help leaves a lot of guess work out there.

It's been an issue for a while now, but you're right in that an in state kid that may be labeled 'marginal' taking a scholarship slot over a potentially higher rated out of state talent is dicey. I suspect winning more and competing for them kids harder in state will help swing a few in state kids away from taking out of state scholarships and walking on at Nebraska, but the fact is not every family can pull that off. The 'guess work' I suppose will always be the biggest piece of the puzzle. Can Frost & Co. continue to guess right and bring in the right kids, regardless of ranking, in the right slots and not make too many mistakes. No matter what his mix is, they'll have mistakes. Kids won't pan out or a kid they pass on will be a stud for someone else and folks here will say 'How could we have passed on him?'

Just a few more weeks.

It's been an issue for a while now, but you're right in that an in state kid that may be labeled 'marginal' taking a scholarship slot over a potentially higher rated out of state talent is dicey. I suspect winning more and competing for them kids harder in state will help swing a few in state kids away from taking out of state scholarships and walking on at Nebraska, but the fact is not every family can pull that off. The 'guess work' I suppose will always be the biggest piece of the puzzle. Can Frost & Co. continue to guess right and bring in the right kids, regardless of ranking, in the right slots and not make too many mistakes. No matter what his mix is, they'll have mistakes. Kids won't pan out or a kid they pass on will be a stud for someone else and folks here will say 'How could we have passed on him?'

Just a few more weeks.
Nebraska is still a pretty good bargain especially for in state students! As example NU tuition is a little over 9 grand say compared to Connecticut at almost 16 grand. OOS for Nebraska is about 25k while UCONN is almost 40k! Not sure how long you have to reside in Nebraska to be considered in-state but it used to be 6 months. When I got out of the military that's what I did (parents had moved to NJ) and saved a lot of money. There are lots of methods and money available if a student wants to get creative......

As you say there's a lot of guess work involved and no one is going to get it right on all the offers. I firmly believe a lot of player success depends on "coaching" which we've been lacking imo. That's been corrected for the most part so I would expect there are marginal players that will prove to become big time players for the Huskers...........

They are working on getting them the stipend, but I don't believe that has happened yet (could be wrong there). I believe they still get one meal at the training table, but for anyone that has ever been to the facilities or attended camp, "The Landing" which is right outside the weight room is where they go to "refuel" after workouts and they have unlimited access to that. While it doesn't have steaks sitting there, has all kinds of shakes, fruit, anything healthy basically. They get the tutors and academic center help as well. Not to mention the gear and running out of the tunnel on Saturdays to help them get the girls with the good turd cutters to pay attention to them throughout the week.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back