• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

This team has turned the corner

I'm a firm believer that had Frost taken over after Pelini, He wouldn't have had to revamp so much. We could have had more realistic higher expectations coming from the program in year 2.

However, Riley didn't recruit talentless players either. But last year was year 0 for all of them. We aren't going to get our best football out of the oldest 2-3 recruiting classes from a S&C standpoint, scheme, and mental fortitude. We wont really start seeing consistency for another couple years minimum. But schedule wise, we have the potential to have a really good up year. Whether we see the results on field or not will be determined when the season starts and if the ball drops our way.

Its refreshing though, and gives hope for, when the Head coach can see plain as day, the deficiencies thats preventing the team from having any form of consistency. Even if it is improved, were probably only 2/3rds of the way there for where Frost would feel most comfortable year in and year out from the S&C side of things.

Oh yeah! I’m a dreamer too but I’m not going to let my dreams become screaming nightmares when I wake up to some very disappointing stumbles that will occur in the reality of the process.

You sound a little bit saner than me. I agree completely with you, but my strategy sometimes breaks down a little in the implementation :Lol:

True! I said this the day Frost was hired. Lots of folks on this board were predicting10-2 last year and undefeated this year. How wrong they were. Frost came into a mess. He inherited a very weak, non talented team, non focused, non committed, non dedicated players who had no concept of what it takes to be great. It will take a monumental effort over many years to repair the program. I believe it can be done. The focus for the program should be to win the first game. Then, win number two and so on. High expections, high hopes are good. However, Reality will play out,

We need to stop with this idea that there is no talent on this roster. There's a big difference between having talent to beat Clemson, and having talent to win 8 games and go to a bowl game. We've always had the latter, we just had a crappy coach in charge of that talent.

I'm a firm believer that had Frost taken over after Pelini, He wouldn't have had to revamp so much. We could have had more realistic higher expectations coming from the program in year 2.

However, Riley didn't recruit talentless players either. But last year was year 0 for all of them. We aren't going to get our best football out of the oldest 2-3 recruiting classes from a S&C standpoint, scheme, and mental fortitude. We wont really start seeing consistency for another couple years minimum. But schedule wise, we have the potential to have a really good up year. Whether we see the results on field or not will be determined when the season starts and if the ball drops our way.

Its refreshing though, and gives hope for, when the Head coach can see plain as day, the deficiencies thats preventing the team from having any form of consistency. Even if it is improved, were probably only 2/3rds of the way there for where Frost would feel most comfortable year in and year out from the S&C side of things.
Good post, and welcome. I would only disagree with your first paragraph in that - as we all know - all the pieces weren't in place yet for a Pelini-to-Frost transfer (AD and chancellor). But it's fun to imagine what might have been.

Good post, and welcome. I would only disagree with your first paragraph in that - as we all know - all the pieces weren't in place yet for a Pelini-to-Frost transfer (AD and chancellor). But it's fun to imagine what might have been.
I'm starting to appreciate the incompetence of the AD and Chancellor. Along with MR. If these guys had a clue we would have never gotten Scott Frost.

:Hooray:I love the excitement, but this fan base has completely overdosed on the Kool Aid.

A few short months ago, we were a 4-8 team...a team that lost key contributors that were replaced with a bunch of question marks. Let's get through this non-con schedule and see which warts are exposed before talking undefeated seasons.
Yes we were a 4-8 team. We did lose Ozigbo and Morgan. However, we are much more experienced. The main reasons to be optimistic are that we A. have another year with Frost and offseason with Duval, B. We go from the #1 most difficult schedule in the nation to middle of the pack at #60. Not saying undefeated seasons are on the horizon, but you said that like we are only going to win 5-6 games.

Yes we were a 4-8 team. We did lose Ozigbo and Morgan. However, we are much more experienced. The main reasons to be optimistic are that we A. have another year with Frost and offseason with Duval, B. We go from the #1 most difficult schedule in the nation to middle of the pack at #60. Not saying undefeated seasons are on the horizon, but you said that like we are only going to win 5-6 games.

We also lost our best outside linebacker, our starting center and guard, an inside linebacker, and our top 3 safeties. And I'm not sure if any of the replacements are better than the ones we lost ( with the possible exception of D. Williams) You can't discount that.

With that said, I never proclaimed that we would only experience a one win improvement over last year. My post was addressing the 10-2 and even 12-0 predictions. I just think we need to pump the brakes a little bit . I don't think what I'm saying is unreasonable.

Last edited:

After the 0-6 start, and then the finish, I recalibrated. My expectations for last year just moved to this year. 8-4, win a bowl game, restart the 9 win streak that even a monkey (not named Riley, or Frost apparently) can accomplish at NU supposedly. I predicted the Riley debacle from day 1, but couldn’t see how extensively the program had been gutted both psychologically and culturally in just 3 years. Gaak!

I think 8 is realistic. Less would be disappointing. More would be extremely encouraging. Really tough to gauge the potential improvement vs. the loss of production...but the defense will be greatly improved, IMO, especially up front. Should be in contention for division, but I won’t complain too much if we don’t win it. It’s wide open for everyone but Illinois and maybe Purdue, IMO.

We've turned the corner you say? Not like this I hope.
h28CBEBAB

We also lost our best outside linebacker, our starting center and guard, an inside linebacker, and our top 3 safeties. And I'm not sure if any of the replacements are better than the ones we lost ( with the possible exception of D. Williams) You can't discount that.

With that said, I never proclaimed that we would only experience a one win improvement over last year. My post was addressing the 10-2 and even 12-0 predictions. I just think we need to pump the brakes a little bit . I don't think what I'm saying is unreasonable.
Hey I like hearing your counter points to why you think we have questions and holes to fill. I'm not asking you to raise your predictions and I'm happy to debate. Just don't tell me I have to pump the brakes. We are all entitled to our opinions. Happy to let you argue away that opinion though.

Come on man exaggerate much? I don’t think our schedule ended up being top 20 most difficult in the nation let alone number one.

Last edited:

Once again come on man. That was before the season started. Texas A&M played Clemson, Alabama, and LSU. Tennessee played Georgia, Alabama, and Florida. After the season we did not have a top 20 schedule let alone number one. Don’t prop up an argument with preseason stuff that doesn’t pan out. With the exception of Northwestern, most of our opponents underperformed to expectations. Other than Ohio State and Michigan which of our opponents ended up ranked? Depending on the poll Northwestern and Iowa were outliers. That’s not a number one schedule in the country.

Last edited:

Once again come on man. That was before the season started. Texas A&M played Clemson, Alabama, and LSU. Tennessee played Georgia, Alabama, and Florida. After the season we did not have a top 20 schedule let alone number one. Don’t prop up an argument with preseason stuff that doesn’t pan out. With the exception of Northwestern, most of our opponents underperformed to expectations. Other than Ohio State and Michigan which of our opponents ended up ranked? Depending on the poll Northwestern and Iowa were outliers. That’s not a number one schedule in the country.
no but it was reasonably a top ten schedule. Mich and OSU by themself made it fairly high ranked. Ofr the record Purdue outperformed their expectations so did northwestern

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back