• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dreisbach's in Grand Island

beans

Scout Team
20 Year Member
Maybe some GI folks can answer this: Is Dreisbach's functioning as a restaurant in GI anymore? My wife made some steakhouse cole slaw and one bite made me think of stopping at Dreisbach's almost fifty years ago. We always timed our return from a Colorado trip to hit GI in the evening. Loved their family style meal. I did a google search and noticed there was talk a few years ago of putting the restaurant in a hotel complex in downtown GI but can't seem to find much other info. I stopped with my dad around 25 years ago and we were a little disappointed at that time. It wasn't the same as back in the 60's/70's. I live in Iowa but my dad was from Hastings and my great uncles owned the Kaufman's stores way back. Thanks!

I believe it is strictly carry out. I remember it from the 60's. You can buy their cole slaw dressing in some of the grocery stores in Nebraska. Just google it. I know Leon's in Lincoln carries it.

I used to work in the meat department at Leon's back in 1986-87.
I still get all of my steaks from Leon's. I get to Nebraska a couple times a year and have them cut my ribeyes, NY's, and filets. Bring them back to Virginia and suck and seal and freeze. Love that place.

I still get all of my steaks from Leon's. I get to Nebraska a couple times a year and have them cut my ribeyes, NY's, and filets. Bring them back to Virginia and suck and seal and freeze. Love that place.
When I worked there we cut everything off the quarter, no boxed beef. I was told it was because of the exclusive clientele preference. Their Deli was pretty good too. On weekends If they hadn't sold all their hot food at the end of the day I got to choose what I wanted to bring home for free. A benefit since I got a little above minimum wage.

When I worked there we cut everything off the quarter, no boxed beef. I was told it was because of the exclusive clientele preference. Their Deli was pretty good too. On weekends If they hadn't sold all their hot food at the end of the day I got to choose what I wanted to bring home for free. A benefit since I got a little above minimum wage.
Roy Toy bought it with a partner in the 90's. He had been a butcher for many years. He retired a couple years ago and moved to Estes Park. His brother now runs it. Great guy and always made sure I had my steaks ready for me when I visited. Best ribeyes I have ever had.

I used to work in the meat department at Leon's back in 1986-87.

Crazy, I spent most of my free time in the neighborhoods around there in that time frame. Most of my high school buddies lived in that area. I would have been working at Russ's on 27th and Hwy 2 that same time frame.

Maybe some GI folks can answer this: Is Dreisbach's functioning as a restaurant in GI anymore? My wife made some steakhouse cole slaw and one bite made me think of stopping at Dreisbach's almost fifty years ago. We always timed our return from a Colorado trip to hit GI in the evening. Loved their family style meal. I did a google search and noticed there was talk a few years ago of putting the restaurant in a hotel complex in downtown GI but can't seem to find much other info. I stopped with my dad around 25 years ago and we were a little disappointed at that time. It wasn't the same as back in the 60's/70's. I live in Iowa but my dad was from Hastings and my great uncles owned the Kaufman's stores way back. Thanks!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back