• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Two TE’s

With the wealth of talent at the Tight End position if Frost will come up with some creative power plays.

...which will open up possibilities for some creative passing plays off of play action. There was a pic recently of Legrone making an athletic catch maybe 20-30 yards downfield in the middle of the field. I think we'll be seeing a bit of him this year, too. Think T.O., hammer the ball 2-3 series in a row, then a great fake of the same play, and boop - look who's wide open over the middle!!

Last edited:

I'll just be happy if they start throwing regularly to the TE's. I think Austim Allen could emerge as a star if they give him some touches.
I agree with you here. It seemed like an under utilized position in regards to throwing last year. Not sure if this was due to personnel, offense installation in the first year or just not a big thing for this offense. I think we were led to believe the tight ends were going to be used more but that could have just been a fan wish list assumption that got spread about.

I agree with you here. It seemed like an under utilized position in regards to throwing last year. Not sure if this was due to personnel, offense installation in the first year or just not a big thing for this offense. I think we were led to believe the tight ends were going to be used more but that could have just been a fan wish list assumption that got spread about.
I think it might have also have been related to our true freshman QB not getting to his 3rd read on most plays. That, if it was a problem, should be solved this year.

Last edited:
I think it might have also have been related to our true freshman QB not getting to his 3rd read on most plays. That, if it was a problem, should be solved this year.
and that could be but...….kind of makes you wonder why a tight end position would be a third read so much. As much as you would like to see a Tight End out running a linebacker 40 yards down the field.....the truth of the matter is many tight end passes are under 10 yards and usually designed as a first read when linebackers are cheating up.

Coach talked about how they had some issues getting off the line last year so they may not have been into their patterns quickly enough -- especially with a young QB who was almost certainly coached to not wait around before getting the ball out.

I can see us using 2 quite a bit last year. Can get some really interesting looks with a more traditional guy like Stoll and a guy who can put a lot of pressure on DB's like LeGrone

If you look at film you'll see many places our TE was WIDE OPEN but wasn't thrown to. I agree it's most likely AM wasn't seeing all his reads which isn't unusual for a true freshman that hadn't played any football the year before! I suspect we'll see our TE's a lot more utilized this season and we have several good ones...

If we don't start passing to TEs soon, we are going to have a hard time recruiting any good ones. I think they are not a first thought in SF's playbook thinking on game day.

I'm not as worried as some are about replacing Morgan and his size. We can line up Rafdal,Allen, or Legrone out wide and I think that will help replace that production.

TEs who can run, block, and catch, and especially if they're big targets, make about the best possible red zone offensive weapons. Big TEs who consistently catch the ball over the middle in traffic are a QB's best friend because that's often the last receiver that a QB sees in a last-second blitz.

I can't believe that we have this many young, high quality TEs, yet we can't seem to sign enough OLBs to fill out our 2-deep roster. We have a crazy amount of depth and talent, and it even comes in different packages. Imagine pulling out every skill player except for the QB and RB and inserting Stoll, Allen, Legrone, and Hickman. (I realize that Hickman is likely to redshirt, but we still would have him for 4 games, plus everyone's back next year.) We can go double-TE with two lead blockers in H-back/Sniffer positions, or we could flex Stoll one way, flex Allen the other, and have Legrone and Hickman moving around in motion before overloading one way or the other. Legrone and/or Hickman would be dangerous in a Bubble or Tunnel Screen, or you could Rub any combination of them, or the two flexed TEs could run a shallow Mesh over the middle while the other two loop around to the corners ... or we have a TE and two H-backs to lead block for a running play to whichever side we want to attack. We can also fake that and throw back to the other TE who is all but guaranteed to have 1-on-1 coverage if he's by himself. Whatever personnel the defense puts on the field, you should have a formation that can attack it.

Last edited:

Two TE’s
The thread title made me think of this line....

Two turntables and a microphone.... ;)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back