• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

This team has turned the corner

I think the culture has probably changed but we hear this every year. What are you expecting the coaches to say? It’s natural to expect the best from your new head coach and blame poor results on attitude and work ethic of previous staffs. It helps us by giving us hope in the future and distracting us from what might be the real reality that our dominance is over and it may never come back. I don’t want to believe that but every coaching change in America comes with a preseason of talk about culture change. It’s going on here in Tennessee as well as we speak.
I'm not basing it on what the coaches are saying. Read between the lines. Don't drink the Kool-Aid without tasting it. There are some very specific things that are happening that are right there in front of us. Granted I get to talk to the fans and parents who are a little closer to some of this. But there is clear cut differences in S&C, better knowledge of the offense and defenses because of buy in and more talent across the board than we have seen in many years.

More importantly look at our schedule. Compare it to last year and look at why we lost about 6 of our games and how close we were in 4 or 5 of them. Last years team was in total disarray early on just absolutely stumbling over themselves. The newness of everything was a direct reason for about 6 losses. Stupid crap, penalties, 3rd down and long conversions like I have never seen before. A defense that didn't know what of the 4 previous staff techniques to understand or revert back too. All this and we still won 4 games out of our last 6. If last year had been SF's 2nd year we would have won 8 games minimum. This year with a easier schedule I'm predicting 10. Probably closer to 8 but I'm sticking to 10.

The nice thing is every poster can predict their own number of wins. I won't complain about that.

I'm not basing it on what the coaches are saying. Read between the lines. Don't drink the Kool-Aid without tasting it. There are some very specific things that are happening that are right there in front of us. Granted I get to talk to the fans and parents who are a little closer to some of this. But there is clear cut differences in S&C, better knowledge of the offense and defenses because of buy in and more talent across the board than we have seen in many years.

More importantly look at our schedule. Compare it to last year and look at why we lost about 6 of our games and how close we were in 4 or 5 of them. Last years team was in total disarray early on just absolutely stumbling over themselves. The newness of everything was a direct reason for about 6 losses. Stupid crap, penalties, 3rd down and long conversions like I have never seen before. A defense that didn't know what of the 4 previous staff techniques to understand or revert back too. All this and we still won 4 games out of our last 6. If last year had been SF's 2nd year we would have won 8 games minimum. This year with a easier schedule I'm predicting 10. Probably closer to 8 but I'm sticking to 10.

The nice thing is every poster can predict their own number of wins. I won't complain about that.
Hey I’m predicting eight wins and a nice turnaround. I just don’t necessarily buy all this culture change talk. Do I hope and think it’s changed, yes. I hear the same exact thing with Jeremy Pruitt here in Tennessee. You could copy and paste Tennessee Vol articles and substitute them for Nebraska articles. Unless you’re a staffer or have unfettered access I take it all with a grain of salt. All I’m saying is we hear the same dang thing every summer. I certainly don’t have that access and you may so my concerns may be exaggerated. *** seems to have that access and I gather that he sees improvement but I don’t think he’s out there predicting 10 wins either. I don’t know if my concerns make me less a fan but in real life I tend to be a realist. Nothing wrong with being an optimist. Good for you, life is probably more enjoyable that way

Hey I’m predicting eight wins and a nice turnaround. I just don’t necessarily buy all this culture change talk. Do I hope and think it’s changed, yes. I hear the same exact thing with Jeremy Pruitt here in Tennessee. You could copy and paste Tennessee Vol articles and substitute them for Nebraska articles. Unless you’re a staffer or have unfettered access I take it all with a grain of salt. All I’m saying is we hear the same dang thing every summer. I certainly don’t have that access and you may so my concerns may be exaggerated. *** seems to have that access and I gather that he sees improvement but I don’t think he’s out there predicting 10 wins either. I don’t know if my concerns make me less a fan but in real life I tend to be a realist. Nothing wrong with being an optimist. Good for you, life is probably more enjoyable that way
No...…….your predictions or concerns do not make you a lesser fan. I will not criticize anyone for their predictions and quite frankly not opposed to anyone who doesn't like mine. I just like to argue the reasons for the separations of the opinions. :Cheers:

I disagree, Scott's staff does not have a long history of developing an entire football feam. They had the talent in place (for that conference) at UCF when they took over. They simply needed the right quarterback for the job and a serious attitude adjustment. Coming to NU...and Scott has even admitted it, that this entire program needed an overhaul...and that starts with bringing in the right players. Next step is developing them for B1G play. In my honest opinion, that is a big TBD.

Not trying to be a downer...I'm just trying to look at this objectively, sans the rose colored glasses.
Another consideration, it seems to me, that is a very significant determiner of just how successful this staff is in the area player development, will rest with how much the walk-on’s become able to contribute. That will take three, four and even five years to evaluate.

Last edited:
No...…….your predictions or concerns do not make you a lesser fan. I will not criticize anyone for their predictions and quite frankly not opposed to anyone who doesn't like mine. I just like to argue the reasons for the separations of the opinions. :Cheers:
For so many years I drank the Kool-Aid only to get a gut punch every year once the season started. I’m sure that disappointment affects my current thinking. I also watch Clemson and Alabama a lot and realize how far we are from where we want to be. We are a long ways off from that kind of consistent performance and talent and I’m not sure we ever get back there. Osborne and Devaney were generational coaches and we were so fortunate to be able to have that run. I shudder to think where we stand in the college football world if SF can’t get it done. We are never going to out-recruit the SEC, most other southern schools, Ohio state, and Michigan. We have to hope that SF has that same moxie and recipe for success that TO had as I don’t think we can “out-Jimmie” the rest of the country. Maybe we change our expectations drastically. I don’t have the answers but I don’t think most of us want to adjust our goals to Big 10 West Champions. In reality unless you’re Alabama or Clemson maybe that’s our best goal and why I temper my expectations. Trouble is I don’t think most husker fans are going to be happy with big 10 W. champions. We understandably want bigger and better things.

For so many years I drank the Kool-Aid only to get a gut punch every year once the season started. I’m sure that disappointment affects my current thinking. I also watch Clemson and Alabama a lot and realize how far we are from where we want to be. We are a long ways off from that kind of consistent performance and talent and I’m not sure we ever get back there. Osborne and Devaney were generational coaches and we were so fortunate to be able to have that run. I shudder to think where we stand in the college football world if SF can’t get it done. We are never going to out-recruit the SEC, most other southern schools, Ohio state, and Michigan. We have to hope that SF has that same moxie and recipe for success that TO had as I don’t think we can “out-Jimmie” the rest of the country. Maybe we change our expectations drastically. I don’t have the answers but I don’t think most of us want to adjust our goals to Big 10 West Champions. In reality unless you’re Alabama or Clemson maybe that’s our best goal and why I temper my expectations. Trouble is I don’t think most husker fans are going to be happy with big 10 W. champions. We understandably want bigger and better things.
I'm very much like you in terms of being a realist and for the most part I've agreed with what you've been saying about this upcoming season.

Where my opinion differs from yours is that I do believe we can return to prominence, just like Clemson and Alabama did. Scott Frost has an amazing advantage over many coaches as he and his staff are considered real, patient, focused on personal development and non-abusive in nature. Couple that with the opportunity to play in one of the most exciting systems in the country, there is an opportunity to rebuild this storied program into a national contender. We simply need consistency from the players and a demonstrated ability from the coaching staff to develop these kids

I'm very much like you in terms of being a realist and for the most part I've agreed with what you've been saying about this upcoming season.

Where my opinion differs from yours is that I do believe we can return to prominence, just like Clemson and Alabama did. Scott Frost has an amazing advantage over many coaches as he and his staff are considered real, patient, focused on personal development and non-abusive in nature. Couple that with the opportunity to play in one of the most exciting systems in the country, there is an opportunity to rebuild this storied program into a national contender. We simply need consistency from the players and a demonstrated ability from the coaching staff to develop these kids
Let’s hope your reality is closer than mine! I would venture to guess both Alabama and Clemson have more five star talent then we have four star talent. Quite possibly the same at Ohio State. My thought is at some point we are really going to have to upgrade our roster to get beyond big 10 west champion. Other than Ohio State who has out recruited the rest of us, who from the B1G has come even close to sniffing a NC since 1997? There are inherent disadvantages that we cannot overcome right now and that is the abundance of talent that is situated in California, Texas, and the Southeast.

Last edited:

So you are basically admitting to being this guy.

Big IF, but assuming that the Big Ten doesn't do away with divisions and the playoff expands to eight teams, winning the West a share of the time will start to really matter. If the P5 conference champions are auto bids, which is likely, that's a one game shot to make the playoffs.

So you are basically admitting to being this guy.

I hope I don’t sound that pessimistic but I probably do! Either way I look forward to each and every season and each and every Saturday during it. Let’s hope for 15 GREAT Saturdays in 19. I take that back let’s hope for 13 great Saturdays and two other great days depending on when they fall in the playoffs schedule.

I believe HCSF is a generational coach in much the same vane as was BD and TO. If that's true then Nebraska can and will climb back into a Top 10 team most seasons. SF didn't return to Lincoln unless he truly believed he can completely turn around the program. His goal is not simply to compete for an occasional divisional title but championships. It well might take 10 year or more to win another NC but it took TO 20 years!! Coach Frost has brought something back that's been sadly missing for about 20 years and that's a belief Nebraska can consistently be as good as any program in college football. Lets remember there were plenty of doubters and detractors even when TO was averaging 10 wins a season and consistently finishing in the Top 10.

Nebraska football is going to be a lot of fun in the comming years imo. Of course we won't them all but we're building a program that actually CAN win them all in a given season! I'm going to enjoy the heck out of this season no matter how it plays out because I know with certainty we're on the way back to great football.

I believe HCSF is a generational coach in much the same vane as was BD and TO. If that's true then Nebraska can and will climb back into a Top 10 team most seasons. SF didn't return to Lincoln unless he truly believed he can completely turn around the program. His goal is not simply to compete for an occasional divisional title but championships. It well might take 10 year or more to win another NC but it took TO 20 years!! Coach Frost has brought something back that's been sadly missing for about 20 years and that's a belief Nebraska can consistently be as good as any program in college football. Lets remember there were plenty of doubters and detractors even when TO was averaging 10 wins a season and consistently finishing in the Top 10.

Nebraska football is going to be a lot of fun in the comming years imo. Of course we won't them all but we're building a program that actually CAN win them all in a given season! I'm going to enjoy the heck out of this season no matter how it plays out because I know with certainty we're on the way back to great football.
Agreed.

I also dont believe we have to have top 5 classes from a recruiting perspective, but i do believe we need to be in the top 20...preferably in the top 15. As long as we can develop, we will be in the same conversation with those teams in a few years. I do believe that.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back