• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Post Spring Practice Updates April-August 2019

Ye s a lot donated. In addition cost of living comes into play. Food in the North east and west coast costs a lot more. believe me.

You think cost for food in Nebraska is that much cheaper than Iowa or Kansas? Number 4 and 8 on the list respectively. Also other close by Universities on the list. I disagree that food costs that much less in Nebraska than those other places.

C

I disagree that food costs that much less in Nebraska than those other places.
Beef is significantly more expensive on the East Coast, and it's much poorer quality, generally. You can get a good steak in NYC, but you're going to pay through the nose for it. When my in-laws, who lived in NJ, came to South Dakota for visits, I've made a point of having them order the cheapest steaks/prime ribs at diners and dives, just to show them that what we sell for $10-15 around here was/is significantly better than what they get for 2-3x the price there. Chain restaurants tend to be more consistent, fwiw. I've seen Certified Angus Beef from Nebraska and South Dakota for sale in Central Jersey for 5x what it costs in Sioux Falls, SD, for the exact same Certified Angus Beef cut of meat.

You think cost for food in Nebraska is that much cheaper than Iowa or Kansas? Number 4 and 8 on the list respectively. Also other close by Universities on the list. I disagree that food costs that much less in Nebraska than those other places.

C
I did not mention the close by schools. I specifically said
Food in the North east and west coast costs a lot more. believe me.
Having lived both North east and West coast I know for a fact food is more expensive their. I am absolutely amazed when i go back home how inexpensive food is. It is a noticeable difference. When I lived in SoCal when I would go home I would fill a big cooler with beef because it was almost half the cost. I never mentioned the close by schools. The athletic Department probably goes through 100 lbs a day of just beef. Multiply that by as little as 20 cents a pound savings. That becomes 20 dollars a day times 365 is $7300.00 alone just on beef. (BTW A good portion of that beef is donated in NE) Now add pork, and chicken and that 20 cents a pound really starts to add up. Then let's start to look at the salaries of the food prepare people. Pretty sure the folks at USC and UCLA are making more money than the folks at UNL. (I am not talking about the dietitians I am talking about the cooks.) according to this sites cost of living calculator. https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livi...tates&city1=Lincoln,+NE&city2=Los+Angeles,+CA

Los Angeles compared to Lincoln. You can expect to pay 18.2% more for groceries in LA. Milk is 90 cents more per gallon. Now compared to KS and IA, BUT I DID NOT COMPARE TO THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE. I specifically called out the west coast and the north east.

In 2018 we ate at Captain Cook's restaurant in downtown Anchorage. It was GREAT to see the heading above the steak listings to be: "We serve only Nebraska beef".

Geez this thread is off the road again. Damn pirates gotta tell us everything they know about anything...:Banghead:
I did not mention the close by schools. I specifically said Having lived both North east and West coast I know for a fact food is more expensive their. I am absolutely amazed when i go back home how inexpensive food is. It is a noticeable difference. When I lived in SoCal when I would go home I would fill a big cooler with beef because it was almost half the cost. I never mentioned the close by schools. The athletic Department probably goes through 100 lbs a day of just beef. Multiply that by as little as 20 cents a pound savings. That becomes 20 dollars a day times 365 is $7300.00 alone just on beef. (BTW A good portion of that beef is donated in NE) Now add pork, and chicken and that 20 cents a pound really starts to add up. Then let's start to look at the salaries of the food prepare people. Pretty sure the folks at USC and UCLA are making more money than the folks at UNL. (I am not talking about the dietitians I am talking about the cooks.) according to this sites cost of living calculator. https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=United+States&city1=Lincoln,+NE&city2=Los+Angeles,+CA

Los Angeles compared to Lincoln. You can expect to pay 18.2% more for groceries in LA. Milk is 90 cents more per gallon. Now compared to KS and IA, BUT I DID NOT COMPARE TO THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE. I specifically called out the west coast and the north east.

Thom last Warning you are blowing this thread up AGAIN. Next time you get banned

RR

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back