• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Making Sense of the Year 2 Phenomenon: Ramblings of a bored fan drinking Spaten Optimator

This isn't going to happen. Frost and Chinander are in absolute lock-step agreement about how to coach defense, and the entire staff works on scheme for game situations. Frost isn't going to fire Chinander or force him out.

Not only that, Chinander is a very good coach. A lot of people based their evaluation of the coaches on how the defense performed last year, but we were running a 3-4 defense without a true Noseguard, and our LBs as a group were less than inspiring. The best defensive coach in the world couldn't make chicken salad out of chicken s4!t. Give the man a chance with players that they've recruited. Three years from now he's likely to take a promotion elsewhere, and some of the same people who have been b!tching about him are going to be whining because he's leaving.
I base his Def from what was shown at UCF

no like i said the facts are in the stats you can ignore them all day and make any excuse you like but it doesn’t change they greatly improved. Now the question for this year is unanswered but it is something they will build on. Confidence is never a bad thing yet you want to dismiss that just cause we are told it takes years and defenses can not adjust on the fly.
I am not dismissing anything. Just saying the sample size is too small. The question is can it be maintained? That, I nor anyone knows. Has this guy ever been a DC before? Is there any other proof besides these 5 games to show he is a true defensive genius?

I base his Def from what was shown at UCF

Well, I'll cherry-pick and take the defense shown in the bowl game against Auburn. Against a bigger, stronger offensive line, that UCF group held far beyond expectation. To me, that showed coaching - knowledge of game planning and the ability to translate that to players on the field.

Well, I'll cherry-pick and take the defense shown in the bowl game against Auburn. Against a bigger, stronger offensive line, that UCF group held far beyond expectation. To me, that showed coaching - knowledge of game planning and the ability to translate that to players on the field.
True and i hope he breaks out just like the rest of us. I’m just wondering if Rocket science is taught at NU

Last edited:

I am not dismissing anything. Just saying the sample size is too small. The question is can it be maintained? That, I nor anyone knows. Has this guy ever been a DC before? Is there any other proof besides these 5 games to show he is a true defensive genius?
not sure who called him a genius. I only stated Mn saw marked improvement with the change.

In any science if you see something that you are looking for even in a small sample size. The scientist will continue that same process to lay claim to his theory or will is show a unproven science.

The samples ran out before anymore work could be done

That is my point. We will see if they really are that good or not.
I'd really like to see you stake out in as specific of terms as possible what you expect to happen with Minnesota football this year? What's the final record? Who do you think that they can't beat? Who do you think that they definitely beat? What do you think is Fleck's future at Minnesota? I'll answer every one of those and more (if I haven't already), but I like to have a written record for future reference. I think that you don't like Fleck, and that affects everything about how you look at the program. If he stays there, Minnesota is going to be better than it has been since the 60s.

we have the talent to replace both Morgan, and Ozigbo, and the #s they produced. what we need to do is be more effective at putting the ball in the endzone. when I looked at national stats.... were were amoung the teams with highest yards per point, meaning, we moved the ball well, but didnt score often enuf, we wasted opportunities.

If our offense can go from 30 up to 35 points per game, and our defense can go from 31 down to 26 points per game, then the season is very bright. according to the stats, most teams gaining the same yards as us (approx 445), were scoring 34-35 points per game. This shoundnt be difficult in our 2nd year, and a slightly easier schedule.

same for defense, in our 2nd year, and a slightly easier schedule, I can easily see us going from allowing approx 415 yd per game down to about 355-360 yd per game, and that should see points per game reduce from 31 down to 26.

These are not huge gains or losses, in either offense or defense.... actually that would be a larger jump for the defense that for the offense, and I can see that happening.

Im assuming that Mills and Washington can get the same yardage as Ozigbo and Washington did last yr.
Im assuming that Noa and Speilman can get the same yardage as Morgan and Speilman did last yr

Both Noa and Mills are very solid Power 5 players, with experience and a proven history. Our other recievers and tight ends and r.b. must be better with a 2nd yr expreience.

Its gonna be a fun season.

I'd really like to see you stake out in as specific of terms as possible what you expect to happen with Minnesota football this year? What's the final record? Who do you think that they can't beat? Who do you think that they definitely beat? What do you think is Fleck's future at Minnesota? I'll answer every one of those and more (if I haven't already), but I like to have a written record for future reference. I think that you don't like Fleck, and that affects everything about how you look at the program. If he stays there, Minnesota is going to be better than it has been since the 60s.
Actually when it comes to the defense. I am neither positive or negative. I just did not like Pops dismissing turning around a defense as something that can be done easily. Using an example of 5 games to say "see look this guy did it." I think that it takes way more than 5 games to say yep they fully turned the corner. Now Nebraska should be able to do what they did. After all, "It is not rocket science." I have said over and over we will see whether they really fixed the D or not. It is very rare to completely fix a D in one week because you put in a new coordinator. I believe their defensive fix was as much about catching those teams at the right time as it was about a complete turn around. THAT IS NOT TO SAY THEY DID NOT IMPROVE. I just do not think it is as night and day as some on here seem to think it is.

I think they will lose 2 of their first 5, I think they lose to us, and I think they lose 3 of their last 4. I think in the end they will be somewhere between 5-7 and 7-5.

I also find it interesting that nebraska fans and press seem really high on them. Yet the rest of the B1G ten reporters seem to share my opinion of where they will end up. Is that because we are hoping that our beating them as bad as we did was more about us being that good then them being that bad? BTW they do have about as easy of a P5 schedule as exists this year. Easy Non con schedule and cross overs including MD and Rutgers. COME ON!!!

Unless they fix their QB situation, I think it's a 6 or 7 win team.

Unless they fix their QB situation, I think it's a 6 or 7 win team.
I agree, but Morgan was pretty good at the end of the year, so it's possible that they're already in a much better situation than when we played them. They would prefer to have Annexstad since he's a better runner, but Morgan seems to be a much better passer. Fwiw, Morgan was the only scholarship QB on the roster last year, and he was a true freshman. Annexstad was a walk-on who's now on scholarship. They brought in two more QBs in this recruiting class, so you'd expect that the competition means someone will emerge, but neither seems dazzling. If Fleck gets a top-notch dual-threat QB, others (definitely NOT including @Huskerthom ) will be talking about their offense in the same tone and with the same words as ours.

Last edited:

I agree, but Morgan was pretty good at the end of the year, so it's possible that they're already in a much better situation than when we played them. They would prefer to have Annexstad since he's a better runner, but Morgan seems to be a much better passer. Fwiw, Morgan was the only scholarship QB on the roster last year, and he was a true freshman. Annexstad was a walk-on who's now on scholarship. They brought in two more QBs in this recruiting class, so you'd expect that the competition means someone will emerge, but neither seems dazzling. If Fleck gets a top-notch dual-threat QB, others (definitely NOT including @Huskerthom ) will be talking about their offense in the same tone and with the same words as ours.
You are right that I do not think they will be on par with ours. However I am more inclined to believe what you say about Morgan than I am about the D being fixed.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back