• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Watched the Iowa Game Again

Elwood von Kiowa

Major Fongbomb
10 Year Member
On BTN. Was a bit surprised that their last-second FG win qualified as an "Iowa Classic". Our most glaring deficiency was on the line of scrimmage (I know, not a surprise). Offensive play calling (and A. Martinez) minimized the mismatches of our O line.

Our D line was worn down by the 2nd quarter; pretty disheartening to see how they got pushed back by the Hawks. But surprisingly, the D line played tough in the 2nd half, and for the most part held their own. The best part was that they never quit.

If it's true that we've made the gains in S&C that HCSF talks about, I'm hoping the days of being pushed around by Iowa and Wisconsin are in the past. Iowa really didn't have an answer to our offense in the 4th quarter. With a stronger O line we could have been dominant.

All this makes me even more optimistic about the coming season.

Last edited:

Iowa is like the name brand outfit you managed to assemble from TJ Maxx. Yeah, there are some great finds there and it comes off as pretty solid.

But if you're on a deadline for a big job interview or first date, you rush to Macy's or Nordstroms and fork over more cash for guaranteed excellence. Here's to getting NU back to being the Nordstroms of the mall.

Iowa is like the name brand outfit you managed to assemble from TJ Maxx. Yeah, there are some great finds there and it comes off as pretty solid.

But if you're on a deadline for a big job interview or first date, you rush to Macy's or Nordstroms and fork over more cash for guaranteed excellence. Here's to getting NU back to being the Nordstroms of the mall.

I'd prefer to think of NU as a fine Brooks Brothers suit myself. ;)

On BTN. Was a bit surprised that their last-second FG win qualified as an "Iowa Classic". Our most glaring deficiency was on the line of scrimmage (I know, not a surprise). Offensive play calling (and A. Martinez) minimized the mismatches of our O line.

Our D line was worn down by the 2nd quarter; pretty disheartening to see how they got pushed back by the Hawks. But surprisingly, the D line played tough in the 2nd half, and for the most part held their own. The best part was that they never quit.

If it's true that we've made the gains in S&C that HCSF talks about, I'm hoping the days of being pushed around by Iowa and Wisconsin are in the past. Iowa really didn't have an answer to our offense in the 4th quarter. With a stronger O line we could have been dominant.

All this makes me even more optimistic about the coming season.
I agree. Frost's offense is designed to neutralize an opposing defense's strengths, so as long as an O-lineman maintains contact, everybody else can react to where the defender ends up. Mike Leach's Air Raid is a completely different style of offense but with a lot of the same principles, and he repeatedly says the mantra for his O-linemen is that it's okay to get beat ... as long as they get run over slowly. They don't need to be overpowering. The one part of Frost's offense that requires some overpowering is the Inside Zone running play, and that's tagged with a majority of Run-Pass Option plays, but that also allows double-teams at the point of attack. A guy like Epenesa causes the most damage for us when we run AWAY from him.

I have been thinking about watching it again, too, because I also wanted to know why our defense did so much better in the 2nd half than in the 2nd quarter. I assume that there were some minor adjustments and a slightly different rotation, but I hadn't watched the game since then to dig into it.

I rewatched it as well. What I didn't remember was Iowa possessing the ball for 21 minutes in the first half. Iowa doing Iowa things......

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back