• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Central Florida Draft Picks Year 2

No not my point AT ALL … please re-read. My point is the NFL scouting system is much more involved and much more elaborate and much more detailed. AND THAT the assertion that NU had a losing record and therefore that affected why we did not have anyone drafted. Go ahead and google a list of top small school draftees and list them as you see fit not pertinent to this discussion.
My point is as I originally stated that teams with winning records naturally get looked at more heavily. No matter what level they are.
Kids are getting drafted from SE Missouri State, Tarleton University and South Dakota State … 2 decades ago that did not happen as frequently. I would bet my paycheck that Morgan and Ozigbo were thoroughly vetted by all 32 NFL teams.
SE Mizzou 9-4
Tarleton U 12-1
SDSU 10-3
All made the playoffs and scouts go to playoff games.

Your last sentence I agree with. What you do not understand is part of who gets drafted is what the fans think of them. After the draft it was about a minute before both were signed as UDFA.

I'd agree. I think O'Leary lost the team, and Frost showed the talent the way. I think Frost had a perfect storm (which is why he chose Orlando). The talent wasn't as bad as zero losses, probably was closer to what they did his first year and .500. His coaching, recruiting, and Duval took them to 13-0. It really couldn't have worked out any better from a perception standpoint.

The necessity to be a coach psychologist.

My point is as I originally stated that teams with winning records naturally get looked at more heavily. No matter what level they are.

SE Mizzou 9-4
Tarleton U 12-1
SDSU 10-3
All made the playoffs and scouts go to playoff games.

Your last sentence I agree with. What you do not understand is part of who gets drafted is what the fans think of them. After the draft it was about a minute before both were signed as UDFA.
Ok

We may not he put QBs and WR in the NFL. However during those years we had a ton of OL, DL, RB, TE, LB, K, PT, DBs drafted and in many cases drafted very high. If you do not know that then you were not paying attention.
[/QUOTE]
How many are tons? Players get drafted because they can perform on Sunday not because they played on a winning team. You may find more Sunday players on a winning team but that wasn't the basis of your argument when you smugly called another post as being never so wrong. You are certainly full of yourself and in this case presented your truth based only on speculation.

I keep hearing that O'leary left Frost with some fantastic athletes and recruits to work with. I just don't agree with that. If you look at the 4 years of UCF recruiting below prior to Frosts arrival (Via 247), it certainly is not good recruiting. BTW, ZERO 4 Star recruits in any of those years. Coaching (our staff) is what made that team good. They changed the culture and developed the players. Our 'cupboard' is nowhere near as bare as UCF's was when Scott came in...

Year Nat'l Rank
2012 96
2013 79
2014 68
2015 71
I tend to agree with your analysis because I also did my own. UCF never had a class ranked higher then 55 and that was in 2017 and SF was already there. Looking at what he was left it's rather disingenuous to suggest Frost was left a lot of talent. What happened was at least some of those NFL drafted players were developed by that coaching staff. Look at where Nebraska classes are/were ranked over the same time period and ask how could so many miss the NFL draft? COACHING, COACHING and COACHING.

COACHING plays a huge part IMO on developing the full potential of almost any player. Nebraska developed the pipeline not simply because they had recruited the BEST lineman in the country but rather because of the strentgh of entire program including coaching. We simply won't know the full talent level of many players for at least another year under this coaching staff. Lets see how Nebraska fairs in the 2021 draft before deciding how much or lack of NFL talent is on this years teams.

class rankings ucf nebraska.jpg

Last edited:
I tend to agree with your analysis because I also did my own. UCF never had a class ranked higher then 55 and that was in 2017 and SF was already there. Looking at what he was left it's rather disingenuous to suggest Frost was left a lot of talent. What happened was at least some of those NFL drafted players were developed by that coaching staff. Look at where Nebraska classes are/were ranked over the same time period and ask how could so many miss the NFL draft? COACHING, COACHING and COACHING.

COACHING plays a huge part IMO on developing the full potential of almost any player. Nebraska developed the pipeline not simply because they had recruited the BEST lineman in the country but rather because of the strentgh of entire program including coaching. We simply won't know the full talent level of many players for at least another year under this coaching staff. Lets see how Nebraska fairs in the 2021 draft before deciding how much or lack of NFL talent is on this years teams.

View attachment 26170
Overall a good post. The one thing I would challenge you on is that. A LOT of the kids from our highly rated classes left the program. Remember all the Calibraska kids. All but gone. 2 highly ranked QBs gone. We were not left with anything near those rankings from 13-16.

To your point though the guys who were left were not well coached overall. Anyone with eyes could see Oz was our best RB but it was SF that finally turned him loose. Griffin at UCF was never allowed to play. These coaches turned him into a superstar. They did not give up because he had one hand. They saw his potential and let it blossom.

I really am convinced that we are going to see some guys come out of left field this year and tear it up.

We may not he put QBs and WR in the NFL. However during those years we had a ton of OL, DL, RB, TE, LB, K, PT, DBs drafted and in many cases drafted very high. If you do not know that then you were not paying attention.
How many are tons? Players get drafted because they can perform on Sunday not because they played on a winning team. You may find more Sunday players on a winning team but that wasn't the basis of your argument when you smugly called another post as being never so wrong. You are certainly full of yourself and in this case presented your truth based only on speculation.
[/QUOTE]
OK let me define tons for you. Since 1970
C=12
db=46
de=21
DT=24
FB=1 this was surprising
OG=25
K=4
LB=38
P=1
QB=9
RB=37 That seems like a ton
OT=20
TE=14
WR=19 More than I thought.

So some of the highlights. RB obviously, OL total 57 more than one per year. LB at 38, DB at 46 almost exactly one per year same with DL at 45. Those nubers are both literally and figuratively tons. So this does not look like speculation to me. Especially since very few were on the Riley teams which were basically teams with losing records.

There's a reason why SF is considered to be one of the top HC"s in the country and that is based on mostly what he did at Oregon developing QB MM and handling much of the offense from HC CK; and then reaching great heights with UCF, despite having classes ranked not that high, but DEVELOPING the players into NFL draft quality guys. So, yes, it is what Nebraska is heading for. We have seen already in Year 1 how HC SF and his entire staff don't just pick the highest ranked recruits as top starters. They instead go with the guys that do what they need them to do in their system, whether it be DB Coach TF sitting LJ a few games to HC SF, QB Coach going with QB AM over Gebbia; WR Kade Warner starting over other WR's because he knew the offense better. Players respect that-knowing that positional battles are actually decided based on talents/knowledge, and not just given to some higher rated recruits, like RB Greg Bell.

SF will have the Huskers competing much more in the West than previous HC's and it all comes down to him and his staff developing players better from recruits they get. I'm so glad that he is the coach.

@HuskerNash
let me define Tons for you.
57 OL
38 RBs
over 40 DL and LB That is a ton literally and figuratively. Since 1970 really not that hard if you want to look
That’s an impressive number but over 48 years. That’s a bit under three draft picks a year and I would not describe that as tons. Hell lately Alabama has probably averaged three first or second round picks per year and your argument contends that it’s because of “more eyes” on Alabama. That’s ridiculous, Alabama is producing millionaires down in Tuscaloosa because they have studs playing for them My position stands that your reply to wcbsas was smug and had no basis of fact.

Overall a good post. The one thing I would challenge you on is that. A LOT of the kids from our highly rated classes left the program. Remember all the Calibraska kids. All but gone. 2 highly ranked QBs gone. We were not left with anything near those rankings from 13-16.

To your point though the guys who were left were not well coached overall. Anyone with eyes could see Oz was our best RB but it was SF that finally turned him loose. Griffin at UCF was never allowed to play. These coaches turned him into a superstar. They did not give up because he had one hand. They saw his potential and let it blossom.

I really am convinced that we are going to see some guys come out of left field this year and tear it up.
I actually thought about many of the higher rated players that left as I was writing my post! Obviously you got my point in that without good coaching excellent talent tends to be diminished. We saw that year after year after year at Texass with Mack Brown. 1 lousy NC when he should have won 4 or 5 with the talent they stock piled. Without Vince Youngs super human effort that season Brown wouldn't have won even 1 NC imo.

I'm simply saying we really can't properly judge Nebraska current talent level for several years imo. All I know is Frost and staff took a so so talent UCF team and went undefeated. Also got some UCF players picked for the NFL draft because yes they had talent but Frost knew how to coach them up.

Nebraska has consistently recruited higher classes then teams like Wisconsin who have been cleaning our clocks since we entered the BIG! Why?? Excellent coaching combined with the type of players Wisky needs that makes their offense very good. I see SF doing the same by recruiting the type of players that fit his offensive scheme. We currently have one of the best QB's in college football which seems to be almost universally agreed on.

I have an extremely positive view of what's happening with our program. If that's guzzling Kool Aide then so be it because I have total faith that SF will bring the Huskers all the way back......

Last edited:
I actually thought about many of the higher rated players that left as I was writing my post! Obviously you got my point in that without good coaching excellent talent tends to be diminished. We saw that year after year after year at Texass with Mack Brown. 1 lousy NC when he should have won 4 or 5 with the talent they stock piled. Without Vince Youngs super human effort that season Brown wouldn't have won even 1 NC imo.

I'm simply saying we really can't properly judge Nebraska current talent level for several years imo. All I know is Frost and staff took a so so talent UCF team and went undefeated. Also got some UCF players picked for the NFL draft because yes they had talent but Frost knew how to coach them up.

Nebraska has consistently recruited higher classes then teams like Wisconsin who have been cleaning our clocks since we entered the BIG! Why?? Excellent coaching combined with the type of players Wisky needs that makes their offense very good. I see SF doing the same by recruiting the type of players that fit his offensive scheme. We currently have one of the best QB's in college football which seems to be almost universally agreed on.

I have an extremely positive view of what's happening with our program. If that's guzzling Kool Aide then so be it because I have total faith that SF will bring the Huskers all the way back......
Amen Brother.

That’s an impressive number but over 48 years. That’s a bit under three draft picks a year and I would not describe that as tons. Hell lately Alabama has probably averaged three first or second round picks per year and your argument contends that it’s because of “more eyes” on Alabama. That’s ridiculous, Alabama is producing millionaires down in Tuscaloosa because they have studs playing for them My position stands that your reply to wcbsas was smug and had no basis of fact.
First of all my post to him was clearly worded in hyperbole. Yes probably a little smug because it was a silly post. However, your claim that averaging 3 a year is not a lot of draft pics because another team has done better is just a silly argument. Time for you to do a little research. how many teams in the NCAA have more than 272 draft pics in 48 years. for the record that is an average of 5.66 not barely 3. I would be surprised if there are more than ten teams with that many and I can guarantee there are not more than 20. (some of my counts were off by a couple but if you go to the link above you will see the number is 272)

I don't have any stats to back this up, but I think SOMETIMES large state schools in the mid major conferences from California, Texas, and Florida can have talent levels that aren't really reflected in their recruiting rankings. There are so many kids in those states that can fly under the radar or guys who may have grade issues which keep their offers low. That can affect their rankings.

Teams like UCF and USF have had squads in recent years that look like most Power Five teams. Maybe not teams that regularly recruit top 15 classes but most.

I don't have a problem with any of those. What really started me spinning my wheels was when I researched it for Nebraska for 2020 draft picks, the 5 guys listed in one of the articles weren't even all-conference in 2018. Feel like we are reaching a bit there.

The all-conference awards go hand in hand with winning. Nebraska didn't really have all of those piles of all-conference players in the 80s if they weren't dominating the conference like they were. Likewise, if Nebraska finished above .500 last year, we'd have had a few more all-conference selections. That's just politics. The NFL Draft can't afford to be that biased.

What I don’t agree with is the notion that higher profile teams are getting guys drafted because of more eyes on them.
Do you watch baseball at all? Are you old enough (or care enough about baseball) to remember Tom Herr? He was a mediocre 2nd baseman for the Cardinals, but the Twins made a trade for him and bragged at how they had gotten such a proven hitter, pointing at his RBI numbers. Tom Herr batted third in a lineup that had Vince Coleman and Willie McGee at the top of the order, and they just happened to be great hitters with world-class base-stealing speed, and one or the other or both was/were pretty much always on base when Tom Herr came up to hit. My grandma could have swung her walker at the strike zone if she batted in that position, and she would have had triple-digit RBIs each year. Tom Herr was a mediocre baseball player, but the fact that he batted with world-class speed always on the bases (and a distracted pitcher, catcher, and infield who were always worried about them stealing a base) meant that ANY contact with the ball that didn't result in a line-drive out was probably going to move the baserunners. It also helped his average that he had good hitters behind him, so nobody was ever going to walk him on purpose. He got big, juicy strikes to hit, and even a shallow pop fly to the outfield could score a couple runs.

That's the difference that being a bubble-level draft pick playing on a national contender means. If you play LB at Ohio State, Alabama, Michigan, or Clemson, you NEVER have to worry about getting caught in the wash because the O-line pushed your teammates back into your lane to fill to make a tackle' you're free to make plays, possibly even "go cowboy" and gamble to make big plays that look great on highlight film. There may be a basement level of speed and other measurements that you have to have, but every year there are guys drafted from the top-ranked teams who are NOT significantly better than guys who are left undrafted after playing on less glamorous teams. Stanley Morgan and Devine Ozigbo have better stats and get drafted if they're playing for Michigan; to their credit, the NFL did NOT draft Higdon from Michigan because he was the beneficiary of what I just described, having played behind a world-class O-line in a run-first offense.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back