• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Central Florida Draft Picks Year 2

Just was doing some talking with others the past couple weeks in regard to the jump that UCF made from year 1 to year 2, and how remarkable it was. Many times, the things that get brought up is that they played in the AAC, and we are in the Big Ten. While I think it would be a bit more difficult due to conferences, I don't think that's our most limiting factor. Take a look at who was drafted in 2017, 2018, and 2019 for the Golden Knights:

2019 - NG Trysten Hill
2018 - CB Mike Hughes
2018 - WR Tre'Quan Smith
2018 - TE Jordan Akins
2018 - OLB Shaquem Griffin
2017 - CB Shaquil Griffin

There is great debate with what Scott Frost inherited at Nebraska and if it is worse or better than (name comparison). While UCF was 0-12 before SF got there, I think with these draft picks, it is obvious they weren't without talent. 2017 would be like our 2019... first year in however long we didn't have a draft pick. So on to year 2 and trying to figure out if we will have 4 guys drafted like Central Florida did? Further, the 2017 undefeated team had someone at all 3 levels defensively that ended up being drafted (Hill, Griffin, Hughes). Do we have a linebacker, defensive back, and a defensive lineman that will start for us that could eventually be drafted?

This isn't a doom and gloom post, it is more just taking a look at how UCF got to 0 losses in a season. Shaquem Griffin and Trysten Hill, starters on that 2017 undefeated UCF squad and eventual draft picks, play two critical positions in Chinanders defense. Two positions that are big question marks for the staff right now. While I think we make a huge jump in 2019, I think 2020 is our year.

Just was doing some talking with others the past couple weeks in regard to the jump that UCF made from year 1 to year 2, and how remarkable it was. Many times, the things that get brought up is that they played in the AAC, and we are in the Big Ten. While I think it would be a bit more difficult due to conferences, I don't think that's our most limiting factor. Take a look at who was drafted in 2017, 2018, and 2019 for the Golden Knights:

2019 - NG Trysten Hill
2018 - CB Mike Hughes
2018 - WR Tre'Quan Smith
2018 - TE Jordan Akins

There is great debate with what Scott Frost inherited at Nebraska and if it is worse or better than (name comparison). While UCF was 0-12 before SF got there, I think with these draft picks, it is obvious they weren't without talent. 2017 would be like our 2019... first year in however long we didn't have a draft pick. So on to year 2 and trying to figure out if we will have 4 guys drafted like Central Florida did? Further, the 2017 undefeated team had someone at all 3 levels defensively that ended up being drafted (Hill, Griffin, Hughes). Do we have a linebacker, defensive back, and a defensive lineman that will start for us that could eventually be drafted?

This isn't a doom and gloom post, it is more just taking a look at how UCF got to 0 losses in a season. Shaquem Griffin and Trysten Hill, starters on that 2017 undefeated UCF squad and eventual draft picks, play two critical positions in Chinanders defense. Two positions that are big question marks for the staff right now. While I think we make a huge jump in 2019, I think 2020 is our year.
Small quibble, Mike Hughes joined the team for the 2017 undefeated season (in August IIRC).

Otherwise that's good stuff. UCF definitely had some talent when Scott got there but no culture.

Last edited:
If a team is undefeated, there are some pretty decent players making some pretty special plays. That tape will get people noticed and then drafted. I'm sure there is some amount of bias towards players who are on successful teams and getting drafted vs players who are on poorer teams but have equal talent.

So, yes, NU can have 4 players drafted if they win 9 or 10 games. That will mean players are making plays and it wouldn't be crazy to think LJackson, Barry, Davis twins, etc don't find a way into the draft. Which, would give NU a drafted player at all 3 levels, coincidentally.

2019 - NG Trysten Hill
2018 - CB Mike Hughes
2018 - WR Tre'Quan Smith
2018 - TE Jordan Akins

Another great post...thanks.

2019 - NG Trysten Hill
2018 - CB Mike Hughes
2018 - WR Tre'Quan Smith
2018 - TE Jordan Akins

On the back end I could see D. Bootle stepping up to get drafted.
On the line Darrion Daniels could have been drafted last year. Also maybe one of the Davis twins.
LB I would say the closest is Barry.

Now admittedly none are a sure thing. However these would be the most likely to fit your one on each level scenario.

Small quibble, Mike Hughes joined the team for the 2017 undefeated season (in August IIRC).

Otherwise that's good stuff. UCF definitely had some talent when Scott got there but no culture.
I guess I was just trying to point out they had some pretty good talent on that team, playing in an AAC. Frost and Chinander helped bring that out... 0-12 to 13-0 is unreal. I just don't know if we have those kind of horses they had down there yet.

So, yes, NU can have 4 players drafted if they win 9 or 10 games. That will mean players are making plays and it wouldn't be crazy to think LJackson, Barry, Davis twins, etc don't find a way into the draft. Which, would give NU a drafted player at all 3 levels, coincidentally.
Boy.... 4 players drafted? Hope you're right, but Frost I believe set the over/under on draftable players when they got here at 1.5 or 2.5.

There definitely is a lot of potential
I think we have potential for sure. Davis twins athleticism and offers from schools like Penn State out of high school seem interesting. LJackson is someone that has the measureables. And I think we probably have some guys on the team that will eventually be drafted and just not eligible next year... but just was pretty eye-opening when I researched it a bit.

On the back end I could see D. Bootle stepping up to get drafted.
On the line Darrion Daniels could have been drafted last year. Also maybe one of the Davis twins.
LB I would say the closest is Barry.

Now admittedly none are a sure thing. However these would be the most likely to fit your one on each level scenario.
I don't have a problem with any of those. What really started me spinning my wheels was when I researched it for Nebraska for 2020 draft picks, the 5 guys listed in one of the articles weren't even all-conference in 2018. Feel like we are reaching a bit there.

I guess I was just trying to point out they had some pretty good talent on that team, playing in an AAC. Frost and Chinander helped bring that out... 0-12 to 13-0 is unreal. I just don't know if we have those kind of horses they had down there yet.
Yep, I agree.

This isn't a doom and gloom post, it is more just taking a look at how UCF got to 0 losses in a season.
I didn't perceive your post as doom and gloom. It's a fair observation. The staff didn't inherit a ton of NFL talent but with continued development and a good season, there should be quite a few draft picks over the next couple of years.

Lamar Jackson has the measurable but he needs to continue to develop and prove that he can become a play maker on every down. His head seems to be on right and he could become a late rounder.

Dicaprio Bootle has a lot of upside potential and is another mid to late-round guy.

Jojo Domann has a similar skill-set as Nathan Gerry. The kid has natural football instincts and could be a late round guy.

Mo Barry has a physical stature similar to Lavonte David but he's a step slower. He's overcome some adversity; is strong as hell; has a great motor and with his solid work ethic - it could make him a mid-round guy if he has a big year.

Deontai Williams is another guy that can write his own ticket if he continues to work and grow at this level. I like this kid a lot.

Ben Stille is only a junior and he could be the best out of this group.

I'm also a fan of Deontre Thomas but he's young and needs more reps. The kid has the perfect body type and physiology to become a monster. The one thing NFL players have - most of them won the genetic lottery and Thomas has the clay and can mold it if he wants to work for it.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back