• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

247 Podcast talking recruiting (6/25/19) Lot of updates

Kansas is making a gamble in hiring Miles, but who were their better options? What other coach could Kansas have hired that would have us discussing him, right now? Why not take that gamble?

I'm not so quick to discount the possibility of these retired coaches (Miles and Mac Brown) coming back and making an impact in the short term while lining up their successor for the long time. Fwiw, Kansas wasn't as bad last year as they had been for the previous decade, so Miles even has something to work with. As head coach, he should be the trump card for recruiting and the face of the program, but little else. Hire excellent aggressive assistants and top-notch admin behind the scenes to keep everything organized (especially recruiting), and he can be successful, even at Kansas. They're not suddenly going to be competing for championships, but a winning record is a good goal for the next few years.

For those making light of Miles for not doing so well with all of that talent, don't forget that he was the guy who oversaw getting all of that talent. Again, if you're Kansas, why not take that chance?
His resume put a DB with one hand in the NFL.
who else?

They might be passing us. And that might be the genius of Bill Moos. Most of us seem to be happy with the facilities as they are now and Moos is starting the conversation that they’re not good enough

They aren't good enough. 10 years ago they were top 10 nationally. Now, they might not be top five in the conference anymore.

Now, they might not be top five in the conference anymore.

"Might not be top five" is being generous. Be honest: which B1G schools do we clearly have beat when it comes to facilities now? We're behind Ohio State and Northwestern. Wouldn't it be fair to say that we're behind Iowa, Michigan, and Penn State, too? How much difference did Wisconsin's recent upgrades make? Minnesota just built new indoor practice facilities, and they have a new stadium, so I doubt that we're blowing them away. How do we compare with Michigan State? Even Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers, and Maryland are making upgrades.

Nebraska's #1 competitive advantage when it comes to recruiting is our coaching staff, and #2 is probably our fans. Sold-out stadiums and fans who know your name make a difference. Nobody is picking Nebraska over Northwestern because they prefer our practice facilities.

Last edited:
"Might not be top five" is being generous. Be honest: which B1G schools do we clearly have beat when it comes to facilities now? We're behind Ohio State and Northwestern. Wouldn't it be fair to say that we're behind Iowa, Michigan, and Penn State, too? How much difference did Wisconsin's recent upgrades make? Minnesota just built new indoor practice facilities, and they have a new stadium, so I doubt that we're blowing them away. How do we compare with Michigan State? Even Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers, and Maryland are making upgrades.

Nebraska's #1 competitive advantage when it comes to recruiting is our coaching staff, and #2 is probably our fans. Sold-out stadiums and fans who know your name make a difference. Nobody is picking Nebraska over Northwestern because they prefer our practice facilities.
And as I’ve said previously in this thread SF has to start putting guys in the league to get the top recruits. Last year doesn’t count, this year at least 2 guys need to get drafted.

And as I’ve said previously in this thread SF has to start putting guys in the league to get the top recruits. Last year doesn’t count, this year at least 2 guys need to get drafted.
If the defense doesn't have a big turnaround then we'll be hard-pressed to get 2 drafted...

You might be right, only time will tell. The task in front of him is bigger then it was when he to over OSU and he’s 19 years older. However with dumping $300 million into football, KU is going to expect results. They got him at a bargain price. If he doesn’t deliver then I see them ponying up for someone who can.

Miles success has been based in recent years purely on overwhelming talent. That talent has rarely if ever met its potential. And KU isn’t in a position to fire and spend. They got one of the best young coaches in Gill, who flopped immediately. NFL genius Charlie Weis crashed and burned as well. After that they could only attract Beaty, and if we are being honest, Miles didn’t have teams beating a path to his door, and there were plenty of openings. His brand of football was ugly, and if he’d been anywhere but LSU, he’s a .500 coach.

Miles success has been based in recent years purely on overwhelming talent. That talent has rarely if ever met its potential. And KU isn’t in a position to fire and spend. They got one of the best young coaches in Gill, who flopped immediately. NFL genius Charlie Weis crashed and burned as well. After that they could only attract Beaty, and if we are being honest, Miles didn’t have teams beating a path to his door, and there were plenty of openings. His brand of football was ugly, and if he’d been anywhere but LSU, he’s a .500 coach.
AT BEST .500.

His inability to recruit a decent QB & evolve his plodding offensive strategy led to his demise in Baton Rouge. Prior thereto he definitely gave Bob Stoops fits & was the only Cowboys coach to do so. I know several when played for him while in Stillwater & For the most part they describe him as a decent motivator who was a bit luckier than he deserved to be.

LSU is the latest school getting some buzz with their new locker room they just unveiled Sunday.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back