• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Stunning Michigan run

The one thing I really don't like about Michigan winning this thing is that the conference is less likely to change the stupid scholarship rules that are in place that make it a lot tougher to win on this stage and especially to do so consistently. I feel the people that vote on such things will say see, we can win doing it this way when the reality is we may be able to do it here and there when a team gets hot but it will not be something you see on a yearly basis.
Very good point and absolutely true. Although Michigan making it to the finals may have already done the damage.

One freaking more! Really like how Bakich put this 2019 team together!

Still hate their SS tho.

I'm at the games this week, and I thought the same last night. "Can Michigan SS have a terrible game, and Michigan still win?"

Cuz I'm not so much pro-Michigan as I am anti-Vanderbilt whistler. Being 3 sections away from him last night, I can honestly say he's toned it down a GREAT deal, but tweet-tweet-tweet is still a little annoying.

The one thing I really don't like about Michigan winning this thing is that the conference is less likely to change the stupid scholarship rules that are in place that make it a lot tougher to win on this stage and especially to do so consistently. I feel the people that vote on such things will say see, we can win doing it this way when the reality is we may be able to do it here and there when a team gets hot but it will not be something you see on a yearly basis.
In the immediate future, yes, I think that B1G officials point to Michigan's success in the CWS as proof that the system works,... but what about Michigan a year from now? @ShortSideOption or @BasilLongfellow or whoever else, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Michigan about to take a short dive into a deep dumpster following this season? If so, don't you think that it's likely that Bakich mentions that the scholarship rules were a severe handicap? I'm sure that this will make Michigan fans clutch their pearls--which is why I like to think about it, if I'm honest--but isn't it also likely that some baseball powerhouse comes calling for Bakich with a couple of boatloads of cash?

While it might make some bigwigs gloat in the near term, it will likely look very, very different about a year from now.

Last edited:
as I am anti-Vanderbilt whistler.
That whistling crap drives me straight up a wall. It's as bad as that WOOOOOO that yahoo's needing attention do the last so many years. I've both turned games off, and muted games because of that crap. These moron's seriously need to be throat punched to make them stop that effing crap.

One freaking more! Really like how Bakich put this 2019 team together!

Still hate their SS tho.
I'm at the games this week, and I thought the same last night. "Can Michigan SS have a terrible game, and Michigan still win?"

Cuz I'm not so much pro-Michigan as I am anti-Vanderbilt whistler. Being 3 sections away from him last night, I can honestly say he's toned it down a GREAT deal, but tweet-tweet-tweet is still a little annoying.
Were you guys somehow hearing my conversation with Lil' All 'N'? We were talking about the CWS Championships, and he said he wanted Michigan to win. He asked me what I thought. I said, "As long as the Michigan shortstop gets kicked out of the tournament first."

Then he remembered the last game of the regular season that we were at and said, "That guy's a jerk! He doesn't deserve a championship!"

I said, "No, he doesn't, and he won't be the last jerk to win one."

Vandy whistler.jpg

In the immediate future, yes, I think that B1G officials point to Michigan's success in the CWS as proof that the system works,... but what about Michigan a year from now? @ShortSideOption or @BasilLongfellow or whoever else, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Michigan about to take a short dive into a deep dumpster following this season? If so, don't you think that it's likely that Bakich mentions that the scholarship rules were a severe handicap? I'm sure that this will make Michigan fans clutch their pearls--which is why I like to think about it, if I'm honest--but isn't it also likely that some baseball powerhouse comes calling for Bakich with a couple of boatloads of cash?

While it might make some bigwigs gloat in the near term, it will likely look very, very different about a year from now.
I don't know if they will completely tank, but I would assume so. I really don't know what their young guns look like. The stars really aligned for them, they have two 2nd round draft picks in their weekend rotation that grew up in Michigan, another pitcher drafted, Brewer who was drafted in the 3rd round, all of those dudes are from Michigan. Nebraska has never churned out anything like that. Their stud commit from Kansas City also was drafted third round, and I believe he signed. Gonna be very tough to replicate things next year.

WIth that said, there's something to talk about with them being able to keep all those kids in the B1G. Further, developing them to what they are. Karl Kauffman was the 72nd ranked player in the country, but Tommy Henry was in the 500s. Perfect Game doesn't even have Brewer ranked, yet he was drafted 3rd round. Nwogu was in the 500s. They are certainly developing kids at a high clip.

What's interesting tho, is I give Bakich a ton of praise, but until this year, would anyone be happy that he would have been hired at Nebraska? Michigan hired him after he was 20-70 in three seasons at Maryland (in conference). He also had a losing record overall at 70-98. The last time he made it regionals he went 0-2, and the only other time he made regionals his only wins were against Bradley. He had been to 2 regionals his first 6 years. Erstad went to 3 regionals, and brought home a conference title. It's why patience is key for baseball in my opinion.

I thought this CWS was a great series. I love coming up for that each year; we have had tickets since 1975. I really hope Michigan wins this thing tonight--would be great for the BIG.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back