• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who would you prefer as coach?

Which coach would you prefer, and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

It would be interesting to know....if it is Bolt and not someone with head coaching experience I suppose Moos' house is not in order again.

Maybe Moos was throwing people off with his comment on head coaching experience. Maybe.

Last edited:
I don't follow baseball very closely so I had to ask. I didn't know NE was such a hot-bed of baseball talent. thanks
As someone who's not really a baseball guy, and not in the Omaha area, take what I'm about to say with a truckload of salt....

Baseball is a sport that requires practice, development, and coaching more than just pure talent, and Omaha seems to prioritize baseball much more than most other places that I know. Talent helps, obviously, but there are approximately a bajillion would-be great baseball players walking around the planet right now who never played enough baseball at a young age to figure out that they could be any good at it. Omaha doesn't have that problem. As an outsider, their youth baseball programs seem incredibly popular.

Am I ... off base? ;)

As someone who's not really a baseball guy, and not in the Omaha area, take what I'm about to say with a truckload of salt....

Baseball is a sport that requires practice, development, and coaching more than just pure talent, and Omaha seems to prioritize baseball much more than most other places that I know. Talent helps, obviously, but there are approximately a bajillion would-be great baseball players walking around the planet right now who never played enough baseball at a young age to figure out that they could be any good at it. Omaha doesn't have that problem. As an outsider, their youth baseball programs seem incredibly popular.

Am I ... off base? ;)
You are 100% right! A lot of kids playing baseball at a high level in Omaha. The little leagues are stalked full of kids. Basketball is starting to become that way also.

Am I ... off base? ;)

Nope.

BUT, here's Omaha's weakness: They have so many players, they just assemble the best players on the Pacesetters, Gladiators, Tigers, whatever. The only way teams from outside of Omaha beat Omaha teams is by outcoaching them, day in, day out from age 9 to 14 and then to 18. A team from out of state isn't going to beat a top Omaha team at age 9, 10, 11, and 12. Omaha chooses from what, 1.5 million? The other towns outside of Lincoln choose from 15k-30k.

In my opinion, Omaha players don't get coached up as much as they could because they can rely on flat out talent.

Nope.

BUT, here's Omaha's weakness: They have so many players, they just assemble the best players on the Pacesetters, Gladiators, Tigers, whatever. The only way teams from outside of Omaha beat Omaha teams is by outcoaching them, day in, day out from age 9 to 14 and then to 18. A team from out of state isn't going to beat a top Omaha team at age 9, 10, 11, and 12. Omaha chooses from what, 1.5 million? The other towns outside of Lincoln choose from 15k-30k.

In my opinion, Omaha players don't get coached up as much as they could because they can rely on flat out talent.
That's interesting. I don't know the ins and outs of how they've set up their system, but it looks impressive from the outside.

Your post provoked another question: At what age should baseball players be segregated based on talent and ability? I'm guessing that most would agree that it's important to get as many as involved as possible at the youngest ages, and most would agree that it's good to have competitive teams at the oldest levels, but when would be a good age (or range of ages) to transition?

Nope.

Weird. I've been told Omaha youth coaches are better than Erstad. :Whistling:

GET TICKETS

Back