• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Layoffs at the OWH?

And the world is a much better place now that all the newspapers are going under, mom and pop grocery stores are going under, little gas stations are going under, mom and pop everythings are going under:Sarcastic:. Little towns are dying, schools closing all in the name of Walmart or Amazon. I am just kind of sad to think about what this world will look like in another 50 years, I kind of hope I have crapped out by then.
I'm glad you are aware of it - I am too. I resolved to stop buying anything but food at the grocery store, don't go to big box stores, try to get fuel from locally owned franchises, etc. Getting labor from local businesses is easier - trying to source a lot of modern conveniences locally is impossible (vehicle, phone, computer, etc).

I hope that someone comes up with a way to get money out of people for creating content. Curating content is nice, but that isn't the same thing as creating it. Micro-transactions are one idea, but hard to compete with "free". Newspapers provide useful information, but not in a modern form. And since the consumer doesn't seem to know the difference between some jerkwad on Twitter and a journalist that's spent 20 years reporting, we probably are getting what we deserve.

I heard from a very reliable source today that there are layoffs at the OWH and other newspapers. Do not have any details other than a ballpark number of about 50 people at the OWH including some in the sports department.

I argued with them last year when they stopped printing baseball box scores. They said it was to expensive, and then raised my subscription fee.

And the world is a much better place now that all the newspapers are going under, mom and pop grocery stores are going under, little gas stations are going under, mom and pop everythings are going under:Sarcastic:. Little towns are dying, schools closing all in the name of Walmart or Amazon. I am just kind of sad to think about what this world will look like in another 50 years, I kind of hope I have crapped out by then.

More like 7-8 years. Even Warren Buffett won't keep throwing money on his OWH.

"We're dead alright. We're just not broke. And you know the surest way to go broke? Keep getting an increasing share of a shrinking market. Down the tubes. Slow but sure. You know, at one time there must've been dozens of companies making buggy whips. And I'll bet the last company around was the one that made the best damn buggy whip you ever saw. Now how would you have liked to have been a stockholder in that company?"

Lawrence Garfield (Danny DeVito)
Other People's Money, 1991

They went through a rebranding, shortened the whip to riding crop length and made millions in the kinky sex market.

There still is a newspaper in my small town, but it is really struggling, he has changed up a lot of things to stay in business, but the end is coming.
Same with the grocery store, days are numbered,
Sorry, little off topic,
Are you feeling okay?

I am of the 'tude, "people actually still read newspapers?" I used to read the Miami Herald and the Palm Beach Post when I still lived in Florida. But, when I go back, I see the paper and they are just blah with lots of fluff and crappy pop up ads, no, that is here on HM, LOL. Newspapers are definitely a dying old dinosaur of a business model... Good riddance I say.

However, don't none of you puckers dare touch my paperback books. I truly dig having a paperback in my hands, versus reading my Kindle or reading a book on my computer.

To be honest, I was a holdout until about 3 weeks ago. That's when I cancelled my OWH delivery. They raised my prices again--and honestly, I feel good about it. anything I could read in my paper I can find elsewhere or hear it on the local news at 5, 6, and 10. Their writers have gotten sloppy, their editors dont edit. And their is rarely any factual content without the writer's bias coming through.

If they go under -- They go under.

News business has pretty much turned into the Opinion Business imo. People just aren't going to keep paying for something they can essentially get free for the most part. Having said that the net is so full of BS it's difficult to discern the truth about almost anything! Everything is spun based on who or what organization is spewing out the news.

Perhaps their will be a day when journalism once again becomes trust worthy? For now I view almost everything I read anywhere with a healthy dose of skepticism.............

News business has pretty much turned into the Opinion Business imo. People just aren't going to keep paying for something they can essentially get free for the most part. Having said that the net is so full of BS it's difficult to discern the truth about almost anything! Everything is spun based on who or what organization is spewing out the news.

Perhaps their will be a day when journalism once again becomes trust worthy? For now I view almost everything I read anywhere with a healthy dose of skepticism.............
That's actually a really good point and way to look at it. That made a lightbulb go off for me on why I don't really read the newspaper or articles anymore. You have a bunch of journalism majors who didn't play sports at a high level inserting their opinion on things rather than telling me what happened and giving me the quotes. I have to sift thru Dirk Chatelain telling me what needs to be done for football when he has no clue, just to get to a quote or an update on how practice or a game went.

There are a few guys in the media I still like to listen to or read their stuff. Brian Christopherson is one of them. He doesn't try to give his opinion on what should be happening, he lets people know what he has seen or heard and where he thinks things are heading. He doesn't spend time on the radio talking about lack of this or needing improvement somewhere. I appreciate that. There's enough opinions to form in each individual Husker fans head, we don't need a writer trying to dictate it.

To be honest, I was a holdout until about 3 weeks ago. That's when I cancelled my OWH delivery. They raised my prices again--and honestly, I feel good about it. anything I could read in my paper I can find elsewhere or hear it on the local news at 5, 6, and 10. Their writers have gotten sloppy, their editors dont edit. And their is rarely any factual content without the writer's bias coming through.

If they go under -- They go under.

I ended my OWH subscription last Dec do to the paper being 1/2 the size it had been and a rate increase that I would not accept. Had subscribed at some level since 1986 as a subscription in my name. Even when out of state I subscribed to at lest the Sunday paper by mail and for much of the time a Fri / Sat/ Sun option that was available. Missed for a while but not so much now. What gets me is what they want to charge for a digital only subscription after the intro pricing ends. None of the printing and distribution costs and the cost is not much different than getting it tossed in the driveway. ( or bushes, decorative pond, street gutter etc).

Last edited:

We had a pretty decent paper in Amarillo once - the Amarillo Globe News. At one point, the sports department alone was 21 staff. AGN had over 600 employees in a massive building.

Today, there are 7 employees. They lease a few offices in a bank and the building they were once in has been shuttered.

Papers are going the way of Sears.

I ended my OWH subscription last Dec do to the paper being 1/2 the size it had been and a rate increase that I would not accept. Had subscribed at some level since 1986 as a subscription in my name. Even when out of state I subscribed to at lest the Sunday paper by mail and for much of the time a Fri / Sat/ Sun option that was available. Missed for a while but not so much now. What gets me is what they want to charge for a digital only subscription after the intro pricing ends. None of the printing and distribution costs and the cost is not much different than getting it tossed in the driveway. ( or bushes, decorative pond, street gutter etc).
One of my 2019 "social media age" pet-peeves is hitting a link from twitter and needing to subscribe to see it. They need to make it easy and affordable and rely on advertising. But since I don't have a solution I only bitch when threads are made about it.

Fix it!

One of my 2019 "social media age" pet-peeves is hitting a link from twitter and needing to subscribe to see it. They need to make it easy and affordable and rely on advertising. But since I don't have a solution I only bitch when threads are made about it.

Fix it!
Yep this is what I said. OWH could make a ton with like a ten dollar a year sports only subscription. Husker fans around the world would easily pay for that. Husker news is their biggest bargaining chip.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back