• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Layoffs at the OWH?

not trying to make up fake news, thought i read twitter only accounts for around a 20% viewership of the age group 20-55. so 80% dont even participate in that bs. imo too much editorial reported as facts and the cause lies directly in the hands of the ownership.

I worked (briefly) at a local Oregon newspaper. It was a complete dumpster fire.

Subscriptions (ie, revenue) are down, which means fewer advertisers want to run ads (ie, other revenue). Downward cycle. The problem is that ancient publishers and ad directors are still running the industry like it's 1974 and they still think they'll break the next Watergate. In reality, the big news already broke on Twitter yesterday and by the time they publish it's old hat.

The newspaper here was textbook mismanagement. Basically, Bill Callahan with some Charlie Weiss and Ron Prince thrown in for good measure.

Newspapers need to go all digital, and charge per article to read it. 5, 10, 25c per article, IDK.

I have said this before, there is nothing better after a Husker win on Saturday than sitting down with the OWH sports, coffee and the dog and read about the game on Sunday. If the paper goes away I will miss that, I sure as heck am not going to get my info from 'twitter/instagram' or any other social media (except Huskermax:thumbsup:).

Agree, but HM articles direct you to OWH, LJS articles.

Sign of the times.

Brick and mortar is dying.

So too is paper newspapers.

Retail advertising drove journalism and when the internet started getting a larger pies share, retailers cut back expenses and advertising was the easiest fix to free up cash. Enough time has passed that most retailers have found other sources to place advertising and newspapers were left flapping in the wind. Their working models no longer work and they find themselves in an industry passed by the times.

"We're dead alright. We're just not broke. And you know the surest way to go broke? Keep getting an increasing share of a shrinking market. Down the tubes. Slow but sure. You know, at one time there must've been dozens of companies making buggy whips. And I'll bet the last company around was the one that made the best damn buggy whip you ever saw. Now how would you have liked to have been a stockholder in that company?"

Lawrence Garfield (Danny DeVito)
Other People's Money, 1991

"We're dead alright. We're just not broke. And you know the surest way to go broke? Keep getting an increasing share of a shrinking market. Down the tubes. Slow but sure. You know, at one time there must've been dozens of companies making buggy whips. And I'll bet the last company around was the one that made the best damn buggy whip you ever saw. Now how would you have liked to have been a stockholder in that company?"

Lawrence Garfield (Danny DeVito)
Other People's Money, 1991
Like I said LJS seems to have figured it out. They make you watch an add or fill out a survey. Then you read an article.

Don't kid yourself, Sipple is shitting his pants. There's no such thing as a successful newspaper model currently, LJS is in a sustained decline heading for the inevitable.
Probably true. But there idea to raise revenue is currently better than the OWH.

There still is a newspaper in my small town, but it is really struggling, he has changed up a lot of things to stay in business, but the end is coming.
Same with the grocery store, days are numbered,
Sorry, little off topic,

And the world is a much better place now that all the newspapers are going under, mom and pop grocery stores are going under, little gas stations are going under, mom and pop everythings are going under:Sarcastic:. Little towns are dying, schools closing all in the name of Walmart or Amazon. I am just kind of sad to think about what this world will look like in another 50 years, I kind of hope I have crapped out by then.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back