• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nate Clouse On The Bottomline (6/10/19) Camps/Next Commit/ Simon

Ryan Schuler from sometime around 2003?
I forgot about him. I'm not sure how to qualify him though. He was a can't-miss, but he had blood clots. Callahan wouldn't allow him to play, even after the doctor had cleared him. He was A BEAST!

Solid point, though.

Last edited:
Let's revisit your list in 4 years. I have nothing against any of these three guys, but I think that you can't see past your own biases. It's a relatively simple test to answer this debate: Did one of your three out-perform Hutmacher? We can debate how to measure that, but I don't think you're going to feel like debating it four years from now, assuming that you like Nebraska getting better.

Also, fwiw, Gunnerson is nothing like Hutmacher. Gunnerson is a D-lineman who will play on the edge. Hutmacher is a noseguard, created by God to perform this task. You're comparing a polar bear and a mountain lion.

I like to watch polar bears and mountain lions at the zoo. :)

Your point was to take a shot at South Dakota football. Now you're changing your point in response to my post. How about just saying, "You have a point, but I think he's getting too much hype?"
If you want to take my point that the there is less competition in South Dakota for football then Iowa or Nebraska as a “shot at South Dakota” then so be it. SD has 1/3rd the population of Iowa and just less then half of Nebraska. Fewer people, fewer schools, fewer players.

Fwiw, he's absolutely raw talent, right now. I know his high school coaching staff, and I like the coaching staff, but he still has very poor technique, even by small school South Dakota football standards. I'm not sure why that is except that he's probably been able
You say it yourself right here, he’s raw and is getting away with shear brute strength. If he gets the right coaching then he could potentially be unstoppable.As I said in my original post, I like the kid. I’ve seen him wrestle in person and he is extremely impressive. I hope he hits double gold in Fargo next month. And you are correct, I should have just said imo he’s getting to much hype on this board.

Meanwhile, coaches with attitudes like yours thought that Riley Reiff wasn't worth returning his phone call, even though the prior staff had already received his verbal commitment. So, as a result, we'll also see Riley's younger brother, Brady Reiff, also wearing black and yellow and playing on Iowa's D-line this fall.
If memory serves he’s the one who backed off Nebraska because he saw the writing on the wall and that Callahan was on his way out. Honest question, do you think Riley would have become the player he turned into with the position coach he would have had if he came to Nebraska?

Let's revisit your list in 4 years. I have nothing against any of these three guys, but I think that you can't see past your own biases. It's a relatively simple test to answer this debate: Did one of your three out-perform Hutmacher? We can debate how to measure that, but I don't think you're going to feel like debating it four years from now, assuming that you like Nebraska getting better.
You're on, and my money is on Jones. I do have some bias when it comes to that kid but I’ve also watched what he can do against the best 4A and 3A schools in Iowa. He has the strength, the technique , the work ethic now and can still have 30-50 pounds thrown on his frame. We could have gotten him as well if we didn’t sit on our hands for so long. And yes I do want to see Nebraska get better as evidenced by the check I continue to write every year for my 30 yard line seats.

Last edited:
You say it yourself right here, he’s raw and is getting away with shear brute strength.
Yes, and he'd get away with sheer brute strength going up against 90+% of high school O-linemen anywhere in the world ... even Iowa.
SD has 1/3rd the population of Iowa and just less then half of Nebraska.
Yet we've sent Larry Jacobsen, John Dutton, and Doug Herman to Nebraska. Big nasty D-linemen is kind of a thing here. We're due for another.
And you are correct, I should have just said imo he’s getting to much hype on this board.
Why not just say that? It costs nothing.
If memory serves he’s the one who backed off Nebraska because he saw the writing on the wall and that Callahan was on his way out.
Your "memory" and my conversations with his family would differ then. He wanted to go to Nebraska. When Pelini took over, he wouldn't return his calls. I'm good friends with the family. I get my hair cut at the salon where his aunt works. I'll ask him myself next time I see him.
Honest question, do you think Riley would have become the player he turned into with the position coach he would have had if he came to Nebraska?
It's impossible to gauge that sort of thing because he had a great O-line coach at Iowa, but anyone with the eyes to see saw an NFL kid playing high school football at a small school in South Dakota, oh, who happened to be a heavyweight wrestling champ. He would have been in the NFL, regardless, especially since he had the personality to be a winner, regardless. Pelini blew it with him, and Pelini blew it with South Dakota as a whole until he finally recruited Nate Gerry, which was a no-brainer.
You're on, and my money is on Jones. I do have some bias when it comes to that kid but I’ve also watched what he can do against the best 4A and 3A schools in Iowa. He has the strength, the technique , the work ethic now and can still have 30-50 pounds thrown on his frame. We could have gotten him as well if we didn’t sit on our hands for so long. And yes I do want to see Nebraska get better as evidenced by the check I continue to write every year for my 30 yard line seats.
Now that's the kind of confidence that I like to see. Jones vs Hutmacher. I'd be picking Hutmacher even if I didn't know him, and even if he was from Iowa. I doubt you'd say the same. I've seen Jones' film: he's good, but he's not NFL good.

Last edited:
I forgot about him. I'm not sure how to qualify him though. He was a can't-miss, but he had blood clots. Callahan wouldn't allow him to play, even after the doctor had cleared him. He was A BEAST!

Solid point, though.
He was a highly-rated Oklahoma commit that we flipped, but I don't think he ever played a down for us due to the blood clots.

Maybe OU knew something that we didn't at the time.

Been awhile since I have done one of these.

---Staff has been at a lot of camps. Expect offers and possibly future commits from these camps. Reminder camps this weekend are free (FNL and Pipeline on Saturday). In addition second FNL Camp on 21 June too.

---Nate said FL camps were a grind starting at 8AM and not finishing until 9:30 PM in some cases. Hot and humid and as many as 600-1000 kids depending on the day. Lot of rain at one camp. All in all great trip and so much talent. He said the DBs really caught his attention. Ten to fifteen guys stood out to him. Thinks they will rack up a ton of offers. Charles Brantly who goes by Chuck is on Nebraska's radar. Wants to visit Nebraska. Has not been offered yet and he is just one example of DB talent. He is a guy to keep an eye on as his interest in Nebraska is legitimate. Coach Fisher has a lot of connections in the Miami area that are going pay dividends.

---Nate said when people realized where he was from that they would mention Ruud and David and the Bucs. Both guys loved by Bucs fans. They said NU produces great LBs. Bottom line their names carry a lot of weight. With Ruud now a coach he can recruit the Tampa area and gives Nebraska a leg up.

---USF camp had the most talent.

--Thinks Cody Simon will makes his decision in the next two to three weeks. From the facilities to academics really surprised him. Notre Dame appears to be the team to beat however, the Huskers are now in the mix (My opinion he stays out East or at Notre Dame. To little to late for NU).

---Thinks Thadius Johnson who visited this past weekend that NU has a real chance of landing.

---Thinks Nash Hutmacher will decide in early July. Just visited Wisconsin of course. Low key kid who does not like all the attention. Loves football, wrestling and fishing. Has turned down a lot of schools who have come in late and offered him. Nate still thinks Nebraska will land him and thinks the proximity to home will be big in the decision. With that said its not a slam dunk lock either. He does want to end the process though and Nate thinks early July or perhaps sooner we should know. Its down to NU and Wisconsin with Oregon outside looking in.

RE: Cody Simon

I've actually heard that Notre Dame is not a finalist, which surprised me a bit. I'm hearing he's a Penn State lean, with Ohio State, Nebraska and Virginia closing the gap.

Last edited:
I've actually heard that Notre Dame is not a finalist, which surprised me a bit. I'm hearing he's a Penn State lean, with Ohio State, Nebraska and Virginia closing the gap.

Interesting. Penn State makes sense being from NJ

I've seen Jones' film: he's good, but he's not NFL good.
[/QUOTE]
And you are entitled to your opinion. I’ll continue to believe what I’ve seen live as well as what I’ve heard from his coaches and from some IWCC who have worked with him at camps. They all say he’s got what it takes to make it into the league, not to mention the staff of the school who has gotten the better of us 5 out of the last 6 years have said he’s got what it takes as well.

Your "memory" and my conversations with his family would differ then. He wanted to go to Nebraska. When Pelini took over, he wouldn't return his calls. I'm good friends with the family. I get my hair cut at the salon where his aunt works. I'll ask him myself next time I see him.
Sadly not the 1st time we have heard that same story in regards to that staff. Big miss for Nebraska but probably ended up better for Reiff in the end. Attitude, desire, strength and talent only get you so far, somewhere along the line you need the right coaching to get to the next level. I’m not sure he would have gotten that in Lincoln during that period

And you are entitled to your opinion. I’ll continue to believe what I’ve seen live as well as what I’ve heard from his coaches and from some IWCC who have worked with him at camps. They all say he’s got what it takes to make it into the league, not to mention the staff of the school who has gotten the better of us 5 out of the last 6 years have said he’s got what it takes as well.
Here's what I see: You liked this kid, and Nebraska didn't recruit him as hard, and now you're upset with everyone else for being impressed with Hutmacher. Looking for something to criticize, you decided that his being from South Dakota was what you'd latch onto. Then my response. Then the backpedal. Now it matters that the Iowa staff wanted your guy, which has nothing to do with Hutmacher (who crossed over Iowa early on, by the way). Hey, Iowa wanted Riley Reiff and Chad Greenway, right? So they must know something, right? Except those guys were from South Dakota, which is a guppy pond ... compared to Iowa.... [to be continued]

The beautiful thing about these sorts of disagreements is that we'll have an answer in roughly 4 years.

Last edited:
He was a highly-rated Oklahoma commit that we flipped, but I don't think he ever played a down for us due to the blood clots.

Maybe OU knew something that we didn't at the time.
I went back today to reread what had happened to him because I couldn't remember the details. He committed early to Oklahoma so as to shut down his recruiting, but he'd never visited Nebraska. He had a blood clot in his leg that was very similar to Tommie when he was a senior in high school, but it was cleared up, so he went to Nebraska. The blood clot came back just before football (still under Solich). He had it treated, was cleared to play, but Callahan wouldn't put him on the field, which was probably a smart decision. He transferred to UNI, but didn't play there either, though I'm not sure if that was because of more blood clots, doctors' recommendations, what?

He was a beast. He was a can't-miss dude until the blood clots and the blood thinner to treat it took football away.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back