• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Layoffs at the OWH?

BigRedMax

Administrator
Staff member
20 Year Member
I heard from a very reliable source today that there are layoffs at the OWH and other newspapers. Do not have any details other than a ballpark number of about 50 people at the OWH including some in the sports department.

Sucks to be laid off. Seems odd that the paper that charges for everyone to read anything is laying people off. The Star which usually just makes you take a quick survey is not. You gotta keep up with the times.

It wouldn’t surprise me. I knew something was up because their sportswriters stopped serving up hot political takes on Twitter all of the sudden, which which is completely unlike a few of them.

That’s too bad, I wouldn’t wish a lay-off upon anyone. There is some talent at that paper, too. I guess it’s a sign of the times.

It wouldn’t surprise me. I knew something was up because their sportswriters stopped serving up hot political takes on Twitter all of the sudden, which which is completely unlike a few of them.

That’s too bad, I wouldn’t wish a lay-off upon anyone. There is some talent at that paper, too. I guess it’s a sign of the times.
Sad about the layoffs, glad about the sportswriters not twittering political takes.

Last edited:
The OWH sports is the only thing I read religiously, the front page and Midlands sections I read sporadically, I must be bass ackwards from everyone else.

I heard from a very reliable source today that there are layoffs at the OWH and other newspapers. Do not have any details other than a ballpark number of about 50 people at the OWH including some in the sports department.

I thought they only had about 100 reporters in the newsroom after prior rounds of layoffs.

if this news is accurate, that's a pretty dramatic reduction. Not much left to lay off.

Last edited:

I thought they only had about 100 reporters in the newsroom after prior rounds of layoffs.

if this news is accurate, that's a pretty dramatic reduction. Not much left.

That being said, if there was a layoff, I'd expect to see some chatter about it on Twitter. Not a peep at the moment.

There's a dedicated Twitter handle for the new, worker's union at the paper – @owhguild.

There was some recent discussion about forced layoffs / buyout packages.

Last edited:
I worked (briefly) at a local Oregon newspaper. It was a complete dumpster fire.

Subscriptions (ie, revenue) are down, which means fewer advertisers want to run ads (ie, other revenue). Downward cycle. The problem is that ancient publishers and ad directors are still running the industry like it's 1974 and they still think they'll break the next Watergate. In reality, the big news already broke on Twitter yesterday and by the time they publish it's old hat.

The newspaper here was textbook mismanagement. Basically, Bill Callahan with some Charlie Weiss and Ron Prince thrown in for good measure.

What's the OWH? :O O:
50shades-sony.gif

OMAHA WORLD HERALD

newspapers were once the unbiased messenger of the nation. No longer. Most younger people according to some polls get their news from social media not from newspapers.

Sad since by and large, most newspapers did carry true news, although some were cloaking it with propaganda. While all had their biaes, most tried to keep most of the news section as close to truth as possible (there are obvious examples that are of pure propaganda papers both on the poolitical left and the right as well as some very religous ones).

Social media has no restraints on lying - Everyone can lie or disseminate lies of others and many reading it will believe hook line and sinker. Very little of social media is dedicated to straight news.

Ultimately, that will harm the country.

The same thing is happening on TV, where we now have one unoffical state news channel cloaked in free press clothes. Now that is really too bad - a news source surrendering its freedom to get the news first as long as they slant it as the administration wants it. Thank god part of their news reporters on that channel are fighting back a bit now that the old man is out of it.

I have said this before, there is nothing better after a Husker win on Saturday than sitting down with the OWH sports, coffee and the dog and read about the game on Sunday. If the paper goes away I will miss that, I sure as heck am not going to get my info from 'twitter/instagram' or any other social media (except Huskermax:thumbsup:).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back