• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nate Clouse On The Bottomline (6/10/19) Camps/Next Commit/ Simon

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
Been awhile since I have done one of these.

---Staff has been at a lot of camps. Expect offers and possibly future commits from these camps. Reminder camps this weekend are free (FNL and Pipeline on Saturday). In addition second FNL Camp on 21 June too.

---Nate said FL camps were a grind starting at 8AM and not finishing until 9:30 PM in some cases. Hot and humid and as many as 600-1000 kids depending on the day. Lot of rain at one camp. All in all great trip and so much talent. He said the DBs really caught his attention. Ten to fifteen guys stood out to him. Thinks they will rack up a ton of offers. Charles Brantly who goes by Chuck is on Nebraska's radar. Wants to visit Nebraska. Has not been offered yet and he is just one example of DB talent. He is a guy to keep an eye on as his interest in Nebraska is legitimate. Coach Fisher has a lot of connections in the Miami area that are going pay dividends.

---Nate said when people realized where he was from that they would mention Ruud and David and the Bucs. Both guys loved by Bucs fans. They said NU produces great LBs. Bottom line their names carry a lot of weight. With Ruud now a coach he can recruit the Tampa area and gives Nebraska a leg up.

---USF camp had the most talent.

--Thinks Cody Simon will makes his decision in the next two to three weeks. From the facilities to academics really surprised him. Notre Dame appears to be the team to beat however, the Huskers are now in the mix (My opinion he stays out East or at Notre Dame. To little to late for NU).

---Thinks Thadius Johnson who visited this past weekend that NU has a real chance of landing.

---Thinks Nash Hutmacher will decide in early July. Just visited Wisconsin of course. Low key kid who does not like all the attention. Loves football, wrestling and fishing. Has turned down a lot of schools who have come in late and offered him. Nate still thinks Nebraska will land him and thinks the proximity to home will be big in the decision. With that said its not a slam dunk lock either. He does want to end the process though and Nate thinks early July or perhaps sooner we should know. Its down to NU and Wisconsin with Oregon outside looking in.

Last edited:

Hutmacher would be a huge get in my opinion and you can not understate that. He and Corcoran as early gets in the 2020 class would be outstanding. Getting linemen of their caliber would be huge regardless of when they commit but getting them early can not be understated either. Both of these guys are keepers too. Neither would start and will sign with the Huskers in December.

Hutmacher would be a huge get in my opinion and you can not understate that. He and Corcoran as early gets in the 2020 class would be outstanding. Getting linemen of their caliber would be huge regardless of when they commit but getting them early can not be understated either. Both of these guys are keepers too. Neither would start and will sign with the Huskers in December.
I really like Nash, I saw him wrestle in Cedar Falls this year and he was extremely impressive especially for a high school heavyweight. I just think we need to dial it back a bit on him. He’s a big fish in a guppy pond, South Dakota, and there are lineman out there who have faced, and been just as dominant against much better competition.

I really like Nash, I saw him wrestle in Cedar Falls this year and he was extremely impressive especially for a high school heavyweight. I just think we need to dial it back a bit on him. He’s a big fish in a guppy pond, South Dakota, and there are lineman out there who have faced, and been just as dominant against much better competition.
This is an ignorant post. Name the last two South Dakota recruits to Nebraska who failed to live up to their expectations as recruits.

Meanwhile, coaches with attitudes like yours thought that Riley Reiff wasn't worth returning his phone call, even though the prior staff had already received his verbal commitment. So, as a result, we'll also see Riley's younger brother, Brady Reiff, also wearing black and yellow and playing on Iowa's D-line this fall. Remember Chad Greenway? Yeah, who needs a LB like that, right? Let him go to Iowa, too.

I know of one South Dakota scholarship athlete who has come to Nebraska in the past 50 years who didn't end up starting at Nebraska, and I'm going to make you do the research to find out which one that was. Beyond that, not only did they all start, so did most of the walk-ons. Not only did they start, they have something like a 75% rate of getting NFL contracts ... but who needs that kind of "big fish in a guppy pond," right?

Last edited:
This is an ignorant post. Name the last two South Dakota recruits to Nebraska who failed to live up to their expectations as recruits.

Meanwhile, coaches with attitudes like yours thought that Riley Reiff wasn't worth returning his phone call, even though the prior staff had already received his verbal commitment. So, as a result, we'll also see Riley's younger brother, Brady Reiff, also wearing black and yellow and playing on Iowa's D-line this fall. Remember Chad Greenway? Yeah, who needs a LB like that, right? Let him go to Iowa, too.

I know of one South Dakota scholarship athlete who has come to Nebraska in the past 50 years who didn't end up starting at Nebraska, and I'm going to make you do the research to find out which one that was. Beyond that, not only did they all start, so did the walk-ons. Not only did they all start, they have something like a 75% rate of getting NFL contracts ... but who needs that kind of "big fish in a guppy pond," right?
Mic officially dropped....

I know of one South Dakota scholarship athlete who has come to Nebraska in the past 50 years who didn't end up starting at Nebraska, and I'm going to make you do the research to find out which one that was. Beyond that, not only did they all start, so did the walk-ons. Not only did they all start, they have something like a 75% rate of getting NFL contracts ... but who needs that kind of "big fish in a guppy pond," right?

Without any research, I'm going with Greg Ching.

And yes, the hits have way outpaced any misses from the great state of South Dakota. I can only think of Ching off the top of my head as a miss.

Mic officially dropped....

It’s not ignorant, it’s an observation. It wasn’t a knock on South Dakota either rather then the almost hero worship a lot of members on this board have directed at the kid. A lot of posters have already awarded this kid the Outland and he hasn’t even decided on where he’s going yet let alone graduated high school. There are 3 highly ranked lineman in the 500 miles radius, one in the 60 mile radius, 2 of which already committed else where and 1 is cooling on us that have played in a bigger state against better competition and don’t have the hype on this board as Nash does.

1-Logan Jones Council Bluffs. D Line 4 star top 100 247 committed to Iowa. Lifts just as much as Nash, he dunks the ball and his throws with the shot and discus barley reach their arcs as they fly past Nash’s. We dropped the ball recruiting this kid and didn’t offer until after he already committed to Iowa.

2- Josh Volk Cedar Rapids 3 star top 25 Lineman on 247. Again just as big and strong as Nash and steamrolled people in both 4A and 3A in Iowa. He was a big target on our recruiting board and a lot of other big time schools but growing up 30 minutes from Iowa City sealed that deal

3- Blaise Gunnerson Carroll Iowa 3 star top 30 D lineman 247. We still have a chance with this kid. They have him as an ISU lean right now but that could change. He’s taking an offical to Iowa in a week. Kid didn’t even play last years and is still ranked as high as he is and has several offers out there. A good season this year could really jump him up in the ratings and past Logan Jones as the #1 player in Iowa.

My point is, all 3 are accomplished athletes. All 3 are/were Husker targets. All 3 come from a more populated state and have faced more competition in football and have excelled. None of the 3 have 27 pages devoted to them on this board. IMO we need to dial back the hype, not hope on Nash.

In regards to my research project you’ve assigned me, I’ve got a couple of extra days off next week and I’ll try and get it turned in on time

Last edited:
It’s not ignorant, it’s an observation. It wasn’t a knock on South Dakota either rather then the almost hero worship a lot of members on this board have directed at the kid. A lot of posters have already awarded this kid the Outland and he hasn’t even decided on where he’s going yet let alone graduated high school. There are 3 highly ranked lineman in the 500 miles radius, one in the 60 mile radius, 2 of which already committed else where and 1 is cooling on us that have played in a bigger state against better competition and don’t have the hype on this board as Nash does.

1-Logan Jones Council Bluffs. D Line 4 star top 100 247 committed to Iowa. Lifts just as much as Nash, he dunks the ball and his throws with the shot and discus barley reach their arcs as they fly past Nash’s. We dropped the ball recruiting this kid and didn’t offer until after he already committed to Iowa.

2- Josh Volk Cedar Rapids 3 star top 25 Lineman on 247. Again just as big and strong as Nash and steamrolled people in both 4A and 3A in Iowa. He was a big target on our recruiting board and a lot of other big time schools but growing up 30 minutes from Iowa City sealed that deal

3- Blaise Gunnerson Carroll Iowa 3 star top 30 D lineman 247. We still have a chance with this kid. They have him as an ISU lean right now but that could change. He’s taking an offical to Iowa in a week. Kid didn’t even play last years and is still ranked as high as he is and has several offers out there. A good season this year could really jump him up in the ratings and past Logan Jones as the #1 player in Iowa.

My point is, all 3 are accomplished athletes. All 3 are/were Husker targets. All 3 come from a more populated state and have faced more competition in football and have excelled. None of the 3 have 27 pages devoted to them on this board. IMO we need to dial back the hype, not hope on Nash.

In regards to my research project you’ve assigned me, I’ve got a couple of extra days off next week and I’ll try and get it turned in on time
I think that many People are very excited because the kid is such a beast in wrestling. He has literally dominated kids from all over the country. So he is proven to be an elite athlete no matter where he comes from. Since wrestling ability almost always directly relates to the ability of a lineman to move a competitor. He is a pretty exciting recruit.

Without any research, I'm going with Greg Ching.

And yes, the hits have way outpaced any misses from the great state of South Dakota. I can only think of Ching off the top of my head as a miss.
Bingo!

I forgot to mention that the Reiff brothers came from Parkston, which plays at the same level of football (the smallest 11-man class), and that Greenway grew up playing 9-man football. South Dakota State is putting guys in the NFL from schools like these. Brock Lesnar played at Webster, which is also the smallest class of 11-man. The Vedral brothers played at Gregory, which was also the smallest class of 11-man. Fwiw, Gregory and Parkston have lost numbers enough that they've shrunk down to 9-man schools.

Last edited:
My point is, all 3 are accomplished athletes.
Your point was to take a shot at South Dakota football. Now you're changing your point in response to my post. How about just saying, "You have a point, but I think he's getting too much hype?"

Fwiw, he's absolutely raw talent, right now. I know his high school coaching staff, and I like the coaching staff, but he still has very poor technique, even by small school South Dakota football standards. I'm not sure why that is except that he's probably been able to overpower people without honing his technique. He's drawing double-teams from O-linemen on every play with a RB or TE as backup, but he's still living in opposing backfields. The team that he plays for has never been very good, so I'm not sure what to expect from it.

What I am telling you is what I told you in my earlier post: What you said was ignorant. Own it, and we move on.

Last edited:

Let's revisit your list in 4 years. I have nothing against any of these three guys, but I think that you can't see past your own biases. It's a relatively simple test to answer this debate: Did one of your three out-perform Hutmacher? We can debate how to measure that, but I don't think you're going to feel like debating it four years from now, assuming that you like Nebraska getting better.

Also, fwiw, Gunnerson is nothing like Hutmacher. Gunnerson is a D-lineman who will play on the edge. Hutmacher is a noseguard, created by God to perform this task. You're comparing a polar bear and a mountain lion.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back