• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I'd like to have a beer with Abdelmassih

huskernut

ChatGPT bot
15 Year Member
... probably more than any other coach in the Athletic Dept. Interesting talker (and we already know he also gets things done).

“I felt like OK,” Abdelmassih said. “We’ve been here for close to three weeks, we actually know what our arena looks like, we know what campus looks like, we’ve seen the sunshine, we’ve seen the lightning bolts and tornadoes. Here we go.”

Last edited:

Probably an outstanding article -- if OWH would let me view it for free. :)

Since I'm part of the elite and subscribe* I'd be a traitor to my social class if I share too much, but here's a few other niblets:

When Hoiberg’s introductory press conference was over and after a quick meeting with those who remained on Nebraska’s roster, Abdelmassih walked the four blocks from Memorial Stadium to the Embassy Suites downtown.
He checked in. He got to his room. The sun set.
“And I said to myself, ‘Holy s---,’ ” Abdelmassih said.

“Everything is happening so fast,” Abdelmassih said. “We’re 10 days in Lincoln and you’re walking out onto a field with 90,000 people for a practice. And you’re trying to sit there and sell to these kids why it’s a great place, but you’re sitting there with your jaw open like, ‘Are you kidding me? This is what this really is?’”
Green reaffirmed his commitment the next week. But no one else pulled the trigger.
Abdelmassih started to worry.

“What we’ve done in two months, it takes programs a year to do, and I’m excited about that progress,” he said. “When you come to Nebraska, it’s funny, because the first thing people say about this job is it’s hard because you can’t get kids here. Those are probably the people that shouldn’t work here.”

* OWH does have a reduced price subscription for sports only. Just $7 a month. Living out of state like you and I do paying $15 for the whole smack is crazy, so I signed right up when they came out with this.

Last edited:

Not a shill for the OWH but I happened by their ad a minute ago and they have introductory specials on that, so more like $5 a month for the first year.

OWH has been dominating the LJS with regard to Nebraska basketball coverage recently. Beat writer Chris Heady has been doing an outstanding job. His features on Hoiberg and Matt A. are prime examples.

On the subject of the OP, Matt was at an event recently in Lincoln, and he was more understated than those interesting quotes would suggest. Very friendly guy who smiled nonstop. Nothing jumped out at you to make you think he has all sorts of recruiting game. But clearly he does.

Last edited:
@huskernut, this part of what you posted from the article is absolutely true.
"What we’ve done in two months, it takes programs a year to do, and I’m excited about that progress,” he said. “When you come to Nebraska, it’s funny, because the first thing people say about this job is it’s hard because you can’t get kids here. Those are probably the people that shouldn’t work here.”
If you don't think you can recruit to Nebraska, you shouldn't be here. I'm looking forward to seeing what these guys build in Lincoln.

Last edited:

Out of the OWH that @huskernut posted;
“Everything is happening so fast,” Abdelmassih said. “We’re 10 days in Lincoln and you’re walking out onto a field with 90,000 people for a practice. And you’re trying to sit there and sell to these kids why it’s a great place, but you’re sitting there with your jaw open like, ‘Are you kidding me? This is what this really is?’”
For someone not familiar with HUSKER FANS, it must be a shock to see a packed stadium just for a practice. :Lol:

As far as having a beer with him; I think I'd like one with Coach Verduzco as well.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back