• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Conference Re-Alignments

I would just love to see the B12 implode and have Texas be stuck in the PAC12. Heck, even having them and Okie stuck in the PAC12 would be awesome. It would knock both those schools down a peg in viewership since so many schools there play late games. That, and their travel would almost guarantee some upset losses having to play in Pacific coast and NW USA. I just want all the B12 to suffer after how they treated the Huskers, A&M, Tigers,and Buffs...especially the Huskers though.
If the B12 were to implode I think Texas would auction itself off to B1G or SEC whoever is willing to give them the better deal. Texas going to the SEC I think would make Delaney et al shake in their shoes.

Texas will end up in the B1G, because that's where the money is and the B1G will gladly have them. OU will follow, of course. Patience. The Grant of Rights in the Big 12 goes a few more years yet.

I'm not sure where that leaves the other schools in the Big 12, but the two king pins will be going to the B1G, with a fresh new, $2 billion media deal for the B1G 16 to spread around.

Everyone else in the country will be picking up the crumbs.

Count on it.

I sure hope so. Nebraska would benefit from Texas being back in a conference with them. Texas probably fits in the PAC 12 more, but like you said, money.

I still get pissed knowing Rutgers in in this conference instead of Missouri.

If the B12 were to implode I think Texas would auction itself off to B1G or SEC whoever is willing to give them the better deal. Texas going to the SEC I think would make Delaney et al shake in their shoes.

The SEC is 6 shades too redneck for the tea sippers to ever seriously consider. Won’t happen.

The SEC is 6 shades too redneck for the tea sippers to ever seriously consider. Won’t happen.
I agree. Football fans assume that the fans/players/coaches of other teams will somehow make those sorts of decisions; they don't. University presidents are the main cog in the wheel, which also includes the Board of Regents and various other high-ranking school faculty and officials. The AD is relatively low on the totem pole, and none of the above give 2 $h!ts about what the fans, players, coaches think or want ... unless those fans/players/coaches are or likely will sit on the Board of Regents or similar. Texas fans look a lot like SEC fans; Texas admin views itself as Harvard ... but with a better football team.

I sure hope so. Nebraska would benefit from Texas being back in a conference with them. Texas probably fits in the PAC 12 more, but like you said, money.

I still get pissed knowing Rutgers in in this conference instead of Missouri.

I disagree that Nebraska would benefit from Texas being in the B1G. They have destroyed 2 conferences with their selfishness and self-absorption. I don't want them anywhere near our conference. I agree with you about Missouri over Rutgers, and even Maryland.

Texas would never go the SEC b/c of the academics in that conference are not up to their standards. That is why they were looking at the PAC so seriously. Obviously the BIG would take them but thye weren't getting a sweetheart deal with the BIG, hence the PAC is all they were considering at the time (2010). Now it could be a different story with seeing how poorly the PAC is doing with its network vs the BIG, but I think they like the idea of getting a better deal there and "saving" that conference.

Texas would never go the SEC b/c of the academics in that conference are not up to their standards. That is why they were looking at the PAC so seriously. Obviously the BIG would take them but thye weren't getting a sweetheart deal with the BIG, hence the PAC is all they were considering at the time (2010). Now it could be a different story with seeing how poorly the PAC is doing with its network vs the BIG, but I think they like the idea of getting a better deal there and "saving" that conference.
I agree. I think that both Texas and the PAC now realize that their TV money didn't flow in the way that they had thought, and both sides might be motivated to come together. Texas would have some bargaining power that they wouldn't have with the SEC or the B1G, and the PAC might be okay with that.

I disagree that Nebraska would benefit from Texas being in the B1G. They have destroyed 2 conferences with their selfishness and self-absorption. I don't want them anywhere near our conference. I agree with you about Missouri over Rutgers, and even Maryland.

Texas is the Ebola of college football. They destroy every conference that they infect.

Why does everyone think the Big 12 will implode? Just because they don't make as much money as some other conferences doesn't mean they don't make enough to be competitive. They seem to be competitive in all the major sports right now with less money.

Why does everyone think the Big 12 will implode? Just because they don't make as much money as some other conferences doesn't mean they don't make enough to be competitive. They seem to be competitive in all the major sports right now with less money.
poor leadership

I think as the spread between what Texas/OU makes as compared to SEC/B1G increases, their perceived ability to compete will eventually lead to them jumping. And of course the egos. They probably cringe at the fact that Rutgers is pulling in significantly more tv money than they are.

I think the real danger to the Big 12 is any further move toward "super-conferences". They have fewer teams than everyone else and their options for expansion are limited. They could attract a UCF or USF, but the rest of the connections that define a conference become even more tenuous. The other thing that could kill them is lack of competitiveness. I don't think TCU will be good once Patterson is gone. It's a conference in danger of being OU, Texas and the eight dwarfs. That makes them a conference that's more likely to be raided than to raid. It's not hard to imagine Texas trading Oklahoma State, Baylor and TCU for Cal, Stanford, UCLA and USC or Michigan, Ohio State, Northwestern and Wisconsin.

The claim of poor leadership was certainly true with Beebe, but I think Bowlsby has been pretty good for the conference. The real test will be the next time they have to renegotiate a media deal.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back