• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

CJ Smith to transfer portal

Seems like quite a few find the escape hatch from coach Fisher's room - I don't think he minds either

Na, Coach Fish doesn't mind. He needs guys who are all N. I noticed that his name was conspicuously missing from the coaches that CJ thanked in his "adios tweet."

This makes two 4* star Safeties from Frost's transition class that have bailed after one year. Smith's case is all the more unusual because Frost coached his older brother (who now plays in the NFL) at UCF.

Wondering if his rehab and return-to-play wasn't quite as seamless as CJ thought it would be? I think some of the young guys struggle trying to claw back after their first major injury...

Much more convenient to take the easy way out and transfer rather than to re-evaluate yourself, meet the challenge and work harder to improver your own position. Unfortunately, seems to be the mantra of young people.
Can’t label all today’s young players with that tag. Dozens of walk-ons competing everyday. This guy just believes he doesn’t fit moving forward. There are four or five programs in his home state that will be a better fit.

Can’t label all today’s young players with that tag. Dozens of walk-ons competing everyday. This guy just believes he doesn’t fit moving forward. There are four or five programs in his home state that will be a better fit.
Thank you. Nobody knows this guys situation and players change programs for many reasons.

Ask Scott Frost. He was one of those players.

I get the Alabama scenario. When you've got future NFL players 2 or 3 deep at most positions, kids are going to become impatient, expecting immediate playing time. And sometimes promised that -- until the next future Hall of Famer arrives on campus.

But Nebraska is a long ways from that. Heck, we just saw our long-time NFL draft streak come to an end. There's plenty of opportunity for players to step up and see significant playing time at most positions. With Nebraska still very much in the rebuilding cycle, I can't find a lot of good in players leaving. As you say, it makes for a real challenge in building quality depth -- and puts us in position where a couple of key injuries can really derail a season. But then again, I never want players on the team that aren't 100% committed.

My point exactly! Building depth is going to be quite an issue if at the sign of some heavy competition they can't handle the heat. But if they aren't totally sold out for the team and looking beyond themselves, it's going to be difficult to keep some guys. Should be an interesting summer. I pray the new blood on campus now steps up to the plate and swings for the fanes so to speak!

Frost and gang were scrambling to find recruits when he first arrived and we felt fortunate to get the level of athletes we did. With that being said, now as we get deeper in the recruiting cycle some of these earlier recruits are seeing tougher competition in the room and decide to bail. It's tough to witness but it's a process in which the cream rises, it's just unfortunate that todays youth isn't content to wait and develop. We all want the guys who want to compete, it's just a matter of navigation through the ego's... it takes a bit of time.

Maybe.

I get the Alabama scenario. When you've got future NFL players 2 or 3 deep at most positions, kids are going to become impatient, expecting immediate playing time. And sometimes promised that -- until the next future Hall of Famer arrives on campus.

But Nebraska is a long ways from that. Heck, we just saw our long-time NFL draft streak come to an end. There's plenty of opportunity for players to step up and see significant playing time at most positions. With Nebraska still very much in the rebuilding cycle, I can't find a lot of good in players leaving. As you say, it makes for a real challenge in building quality depth -- and puts us in position where a couple of key injuries can really derail a season. But then again, I never want players on the team that aren't 100% committed.
Very well said and I agree. All you have to do is go to the main page and see where we don't have a single unit in the top 5 of Athlon's Big 10 rankings. We need some studs and depth.

Some of this can be blamed on the transfer portal and the rule changes associated with it. So much easier to transfer.

It may look easier, but these kids don't always find an opening. It can be a rude awakening, and all of the sudden you find yourself playing for Last Chance U.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back