• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

CJ Smith to transfer portal

BARNUM is back

Son of NUM
5 Year Member

Seems like quite a few find the escape hatch from coach Fisher's room - I don't think he minds either

Last edited:

This makes two 4* star Safeties from Frost's transition class that have bailed after one year. Smith's case is all the more unusual because Frost coached his older brother (who now plays in the NFL) at UCF.

Possibly one more and should be done. Keep in mind freshmen are getting here, writing is on the wall if you see someone better than you.
Much more convenient to take the easy way out and transfer rather than to re-evaluate yourself, meet the challenge and work harder to improver your own position. Unfortunately, seems to be the mantra of young people.

In some ways this is a good thing imo. It shows there's fierce competition happening and those without the right stuff are bailing. If a player isn't confident enough to double down and win a starting job we really haven't lost much......... Wish the kid well and move on.......

I find it concerning that 1.the guys leaving are in areas of need, and 2. That when the heat is turned up so many guys are bailing out. I know Bama loses numbers of guys every year. Maybe this type of situation is a better explanation of what happens down there as well. Is competition really that tough? We can hope that the better competition transitions to the field. This almost makes me feel like we are yet another year or 2 away from being a dominant team? i.e. serious lack of depth.

I hear all the ‘let ‘em go if they can’t stand the competition’ comments and agree to an extent. My concern is Nebraska needs depth and IMO, the more the merrier. If a kid is going to be a problem, that’s one thing. If he’s just not going to be starting and gets butt hurt, he’s still more than likely a pretty decent player. I’d just like to see them stick.

Last edited:

I find it concerning that 1.the guys leaving are in areas of need, and 2. That when the heat is turned up so many guys are bailing out. I know Bama loses numbers of guys every year. Maybe this type of situation is a better explanation of what happens down there as well. Is competition really that tough? We can hope that the better competition transitions to the field. This almost makes me feel like we are yet another year or 2 away from being a dominant team? i.e. serious lack of depth.

I get the Alabama scenario. When you've got future NFL players 2 or 3 deep at most positions, kids are going to become impatient, expecting immediate playing time. And sometimes promised that -- until the next future Hall of Famer arrives on campus.

But Nebraska is a long ways from that. Heck, we just saw our long-time NFL draft streak come to an end. There's plenty of opportunity for players to step up and see significant playing time at most positions. With Nebraska still very much in the rebuilding cycle, I can't find a lot of good in players leaving. As you say, it makes for a real challenge in building quality depth -- and puts us in position where a couple of key injuries can really derail a season. But then again, I never want players on the team that aren't 100% committed.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back