• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Toughness

NU had a clear edge in S&C back in the 90’s. Not now. Schools have caught up and even surpassed us in that area. If anything we are just trying to get back to even with schools like Iowa and Wisconsin who routinely physically beat the piss out of us.

It’s not going to be the 90’s all over again. This idea that once we get to be physical and ferocious we are going to take the B1G by storm is a pipe dream. The B1G is physical and ferocious already. We just haven’t caught up yet.

This coming season if we can play them to a draw in the physicality department I believe our advantage in skill position players and all that speed will be the deciding factor.

I think we can get to where Frost wants. I don't think he wants the Oregon spread, but something closer to Malzahn's vision and something of his own creation.

There are a lot of things I think Frost can add in - running out of the spread can force teams into packages where pulling guards and centers can hammer the guys on the field, some traps to give dlinemen more to think about. IZ plays are easier when you spread things out, but are still an exercise in getting movement and space inside. If you have the right interior linemen you can make life miserable for a defense.

Malzahn runs zone schemes, obviously, but they also run gap schemes. Is Frost looking to add something like Power plays and counter plays? I wouldn't be shocked....

I think we can get to where Frost wants. I don't think he wants the Oregon spread, but something closer to Malzahn's vision and something of his own creation.

There are a lot of things I think Frost can add in - running out of the spread can force teams into packages where pulling guards and centers can hammer the guys on the field, some traps to give dlinemen more to think about. IZ plays are easier when you spread things out, but are still an exercise in getting movement and space inside. If you have the right interior linemen you can make life miserable for a defense.

Malzahn runs zone schemes, obviously, but they also run gap schemes. Is Frost looking to add something like Power plays and counter plays? I wouldn't be shocked....

I couldn't agree more, and I like your choice of article to explain it. That series of articles on the Malzahn offense is excellent. Frost already runs Malzahn's Buck Sweep. I wouldn't say that he is any way opposed to the old Oregon offense because that's still the foundation of his offense; it's just that he's added a lot of wrinkles to it. Chip Kelly literally ran only about a half-dozen plays, but he changed up the formations, motion, etc., to beat the defense by formation. I read Malzahn's Hurry Up/No-Huddle book that he wrote while he was still coaching at the high school level, and that was also his core philosophy, but he evolved. He added more wrinkles to attack the adjustments that defenses were making to his base plays in base formations. Kelly never really did that with the Eagles.

I agree, but it may take some depth to get to that point. I have confidence in our 1's, but I'm thinking the dropoff has been more pronounced than we'd like. That should be getting better, too.
I agree the drop off has been too pronounced, even last year, but...
Depth is one of the effects that I’m hopeful will/should happen, with the way Frost wants to practice - everyone is repping and going at a pace to get more reps in.

As to the op and toughness, like you and others all ready stated is a mindset or attitude. A few can come in with it, but most need to be developed. Im not buying we can’t be physical and beat somebody up out of the spread... if Frost had Richie Incognito suit up, I’m still believing he’s looking to tear someone a new a hole wether it’s pro, power, or spread.

I couldn't agree more, and I like your choice of article to explain it. That series of articles on the Malzahn offense is excellent. Frost already runs Malzahn's Buck Sweep. I wouldn't say that he is any way opposed to the old Oregon offense because that's still the foundation of his offense; it's just that he's added a lot of wrinkles to it. Chip Kelly literally ran only about a half-dozen plays, but he changed up the formations, motion, etc., to beat the defense by formation. I read Malzahn's Hurry Up/No-Huddle book that he wrote while he was still coaching at the high school level, and that was also his core philosophy, but he evolved. He added more wrinkles to attack the adjustments that defenses were making to his base plays in base formations. Kelly never really did that with the Eagles.

You're correct about him not being opposed to the Oregon offense -- I didn't mean for it to come out that strong!

Last edited:
We wear guys out by running a bunch of plays offensively. As others have mentioned, you can do it defensively, but our defense actually was on the field more than our offense last year and gets tired too.

Your point about time on the field is the biggest reason it can't be a constant this fall. There just aren't enough players on the defensive side of the ball to play at a high level, with that kind of intensity and play correctly within the framework of the defense. I have no doubt we'll see it in spurts or on an entire drive, especially from specific players, but it's hard to sustain it when your next guy up can't play like that. I loved those '90's defenses like everyone else did, but the talent on that side of the ball back then was insane.

We wear guys out by running a bunch of plays offensively. As others have mentioned, you can do it defensively, but our defense actually was on the field more than our offense last year and gets tired too.
With potentially an even better quick strike offense the defense could well be even more on the field then last season. Defense is going to have to make quicker stops if they want more time on the sidelines imo....

I seem to remember a certain QB wearing number 7 being both powerful, fast and a little nasty. Really not sure why SF offense can't have skill positions like that.
In all fairness, I’m not sure you can have a QB who is expected to throw as much as ours is currently, taking hits in the manner that number 7 did. We can drive guys nuts thinking they’ve covered a play perfectly, only to see Martinez slip out for a 12 yard gain, but I’m not seeing him doing a lot of punishing. Just my opinion.

In all fairness, I’m not sure you can have a QB who is expected to throw as much as ours is currently, taking hits in the manner that number 7 did. We can drive guys nuts thinking they’ve covered a play perfectly, only to see Martinez slip out for a 12 yard gain, but I’m not seeing him doing a lot of punishing. Just my opinion.
I agree that we don't want him taking excessive hits. My point is its alright to have the nasty attitude and ABILITY to dish out a little nastiness when its needed.

Your point about time on the field is the biggest reason it can't be a constant this fall. There just aren't enough players on the defensive side of the ball to play at a high level, with that kind of intensity and play correctly within the framework of the defense. I have no doubt we'll see it in spurts or on an entire drive, especially from specific players, but it's hard to sustain it when your next guy up can't play like that. I loved those '90's defenses like everyone else did, but the talent on that side of the ball back then was insane.
I think that's why it's been so important to get all the extra reps for the backups. I think we'll be surprised with our defensive depth this year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back