• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Cam Jurgens' size

Red Falcon

Recruit
10 Year Member
Reading a 247 article about Jurgens, I got to wondering... What weight will he be playing at in the fall? He gained 40 pounds his redshirt year after moving to Center. Can he add another 15 and be at 300 for the fall campaign? Will it be more?? or less?? Caputo was fairly light, but that was against Big12 defensive linemen.

Reading a 247 article about Jurgens, I got to wondering... What weight will he be playing at in the fall? He gained 40 pounds his redshirt year after moving to Center. Can he add another 15 and be at 300 for the fall campaign? Will it be more?? or less?? Caputo was fairly light, but that was against Big12 defensive linemen.

I don't think it's impossible, but he can't be fully adjusted to the 40lb weight gain at this point either.

I think he could play at 295 and handle B1G noses due to his ridiculous strength and quickness. I'd like him playing at 310, but I'm just not sure how high he can go before we see diminishing returns (both performance and health wise).

I don't disagree. My concern is is he really ready to be a starting center.....anywhere? Not doubting the kids athletic ability at all, but this is a big switch for him and he has one part of the spring game under his belt. I'm less worried about weight than his overall ability to play the position...which wasn't on display this past Spring. He's just not there yet. I think that's fair.

The article also said he was eating like a ballerina to maintain his weight as a TE once he moved to O-Line much of the weight came on naturally. Now all he needs to do is live in the weight room (which I'm sure he is) and 300 LBs by fall camp will be no problem.

The nuances of playing center will take several years to learn but can he hold his own physically ... I suspect the answer is yes.

If I'm opposing B1G coaches - I'm scheming how to take advantage of him ... stunts, multiple players ...

Last fall Vrzal talked about in this offense, the line didn’t need to road grade people, just kind of get in the way. Pancakes would be nice, but to start just need to sort of get in the way. Doubt if we see 4-8 again, but still think we are a year away. 2020 could be a really nice season, though I think we can win 8/9 in 2019 barring major injuries.

Last fall Vrzal talked about in this offense, the line didn’t need to road grade people, just kind of get in the way. Pancakes would be nice, but to start just need to sort of get in the way. Doubt if we see 4-8 again, but still think we are a year away. 2020 could be a really nice season, though I think we can win 8/9 in 2019 barring major injuries.

That's a great point. Frost's offense relies on deception and putting the ball in space moreso than just raw power. It'd be nice to have both, but until we start getting a few recruiting classes under Frost's belt and thr weight room culture really takes hold, it's probably best to work with what we have.

Don't tell me UCF had bigger, fatter, pancake-ier linemen than Auburn. Seems like the speed and motion can overcome a certain degree of brute force.

Bruce Lee fighting Dwayne Johnson.

I'm looking forward to Jurgens getting downfield on a WR RPO and leveling the entire secondary, leading the way for Wan'Dale or JD.

.. Doubt if we see 4-8 again, but still think we are a year away. 2020 could be a really nice season, though I think we can win 8/9 in 2019 barring major injuries.

The 2020 schedule may support that prediction
... non-conference of Central Michigan, South Dakota State and Cincinnati ... all in Lincoln!
... cross-overs with Rutgers, tOSU and Penn State ... first two on the road

Interesting quirks in the schedule ... season opens on September 4th with Purdue. Season ends November 28th with Minnesota in Lincoln!

I don't disagree. My concern is is he really ready to be a starting center.....anywhere? Not doubting the kids athletic ability at all, but this is a big switch for him and he has one part of the spring game under his belt. I'm less worried about weight than his overall ability to play the position...which wasn't on display this past Spring. He's just not there yet. I think that's fair.
I'm completely with you in terms of having doubts if he is ready to play the position considering how green he is. My comment was based on him strictly getting by playing at an athletic 295lbs (assuming when he is ready)

I'm completely with you in terms of having doubts if he is ready to play the position considering how green he is. My comment was based on him strictly getting by playing at an athletic 295lbs (assuming when he is ready)

He’s a big kid. I think he’ll get there.

If I keep eating brisket and drinking good bourbon like I have been, I’ll get there too. 295 that is, not ready to play center in the B1G.

Just getting the snap where it should be time after time would be huge imo! We've struggled with that for quite some time and it really can disrupt offensive timing. Says nothing about the disaster snaps that result in turnovers. Don't worry about what weight he plays at only that he can snap the ball on target 95% of the time........

I would agree with that at every position besides center. Especially if practicing or playing against an odd front.

Just getting the snap where it should be time after time would be huge imo! We've struggled with that for quite some time and it really can disrupt offensive timing. Says nothing about the disaster snaps that result in turnovers. Don't worry about what weight he plays at only that he can snap the ball on target 95% of the time........
Getting snaps right and not getting totally steamrolled up the middle would be great. Center snaps have been issue going clear back to Taylor Martinez days. No dribbling it back to quarterback in overtime last year is preferable

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back