• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bill Moos is considering allowing alcohol at Husker football games in the suites and loge levels.

My thing is nothing is currently stopping alcohol from being a problem now. Some people get as loaded as possible at the tailgate, and then they smuggle alcohol in. I don't think allowing it in the stadium will change that issue.

I wish they wouldn’t sell alcohol at Memorial Stadium simply for the fact that it’s not really set-up to do so. The logistics of it is tough. Start selling it at the PBA and baseball games for sure. Even volleyball games. I would just like to keep it out of Memorial...at least for now.

I just love the fact that at Memorial Stadium, it's a family-friendly atmosphere. you can bring your 5-15 yr old kids, and they can enjoy the experience. People are generally polite, not too much overtly loud swearing. Crowd generally supportive. I don't think it's as nice as it used to be, I think the younglings have changed us for the worse (booing the opponent when they take the field). But it used to be so much easier being supernice Husker fan when we were kicking team's asses up and down the field.

Yep. It's a lot easier to be nice when you're winning. I think booze should have been handed out on entrance during the Callahan years.

Selling alcohol in Memorial Stadium isn't the way to go. We have one of the best fan experiences in the country. Why mess with a good thing?

It also seems hypocritical to tell young people drinking is not good for you with one hand. Then promote drinking with the other hand.

I wish they wouldn’t sell alcohol at Memorial Stadium simply for the fact that it’s not really set-up to do so. The logistics of it is tough. Start selling it at the PBA and baseball games for sure. Even volleyball games. I would just like to keep it out of Memorial...at least for now.
I don't think that there is any serious consideration for having alcohol available for the whole stadium anytime soon, but Moos specifically mentioned having alcohol available for the suites and the loge seating, where we all know it already is available anyway, "legal" or not. To me it makes sense to make some money off of the sales to those seating areas because it's already the sort of target demographic who would likely pay whatever is asked, especially if there are top-shelf sorts of options. For the suites, they could even set up a personal alcohol bar like what you see in hotel rooms and wrap the charges into everything else. Here's the way that I see it: If they're already "sneaking" alcohol into the suites, etc., anyway, why not make it simpler, legal, more transparent, and profitable? The rest of the stadium is a separate argument.

I completely agree with selling beer at baseball games. I don't have strong feelings one way or the other with PBA or any other venue, but I'd say that the same principles should still hold: Anywhere that already has closed off deluxe seating is almost certainly already bringing their own alcohol in, one way or the other, so why not make those places legal, simpler, more transparent, and profitable, too

Last edited:
Selling alcohol in Memorial Stadium isn't the way to go. We have one of the best fan experiences in the country. Why mess with a good thing?

It also seems hypocritical to tell young people drinking is not good for you with one hand. Then promote drinking with the other hand.
hunert percent correct

What is going to stop those particular groups of people who are already bringing in alcohol from stopping? Why pay for it?

What is going to stop those particular groups of people who are already bringing in alcohol from stopping? Why pay for it?
If you're talking about the guys in the regular seats, yeah, sure, especially since some percentage of those are probably under-age college students. If you're talking about the suites ... really? You think that corporate CEOs or Gabrielle Union or Larry the Cable Guy are going to pay for a suite but then sneak in alcohol? Can't you picture Warren Buffett asking some of his cronies to sneak in some flasks so that he can save a few bucks?

Last edited:
If you're talking about the guys in the regular seats, yeah, sure, especially since some percentage of those are probably under-age college students. If you're talking about the suites ... really? You think that corporate CEOs or Gabrielle Union or Larry the Cable Guy are going to pay for a suite but then sneak in alcohol? Can't you picture Warren Buffett asking some of his cronies to sneak in some flasks so that he can save a few bucks?

I’ll see if I can find it when I have the time, but there was a article out there regarding the University looking the other way when certain beverages were delivered to the suites. I believe the point of the article was that the University asked for this practice to stop and it was fairly recent, relatively speaking. At least that’s how I remember it. :)

I’ll see if I can find it when I have the time, but there was a article out there regarding the University looking the other way when certain beverages were delivered to the suites. I believe the point of the article was that the University asked for this practice to stop and it was fairly recent, relatively speaking. At least that’s how I remember it. :)
Yes, I read that article, pretty much what it said

I don't think that there is any serious consideration for having alcohol available for the whole stadium anytime soon, but Moos specifically mentioned having alcohol available for the suites and the loge seating, where we all know it already is available anyway, "legal" or not. To me it makes sense to make some money off of the sales to those seating areas because it's already the sort of target demographic who would likely pay whatever is asked, especially if there are top-shelf sorts of options. For the suites, they could even set up a personal alcohol bar like what you see in hotel rooms and wrap the charges into everything else. Here's the way that I see it: If they're already "sneaking" alcohol into the suites, etc., anyway, why not make it simpler, legal, more transparent, and profitable? The rest of the stadium is a separate argument.

I completely agree with selling beer at baseball games. I don't have strong feelings one way or the other with PBA or any other venue, but I'd say that the same principles should still hold: Anywhere that already has closed off deluxe seating is almost certainly already bringing their own alcohol in, one way or the other, so why not make those places legal, simpler, more transparent, and profitable, too
Let’s be honest, the profit potential of alcohol sales isn’t meaningful. The profit potential of a fat-cat booster getting drunk and writing a big check is what Moos is after.

Let’s be honest, the profit potential of alcohol sales isn’t meaningful. The profit potential of a fat-cat booster getting drunk and writing a big check is what Moos is after.
I find myself in the unfamiliar position of agreeing with you on something related to Bill Moos, which makes me think that you're not as much in favor of the idea of him getting more/bigger donations from boosters in this way? Is that right? If drunk m/billionaires want to hand Bill Moos fists full of cash, I'm more than fine with that.

I believe the point of the article was that the University asked for this practice to stop and it was fairly recent, relatively speaking.
I don't think that I read the article that you're referencing, so I'm not exactly sure by your wording what it was saying. Are you saying that the U wants the athletic department to stop looking the other way, i.e. enforce the alcohol-free zone? If so, Moos is going to need to push back against that because it's just not smart to tell billionaire donors that they can no longer have what they've been doing, and, oh, by the way ... would you be a dear and give us some more money?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back