• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4 Star JUCO RB Dedrick Mills is N; Update: Will Be On Campus Wednesday 22 May

View attachment 24272
Everybody dance now, you say? Okay......
giphy.gif

Last edited:

“If it wasn’t for Coach Held, I don’t know ...” Mills said, his voice trailing off. “He was there throughout the process.”

Freaking Held. I hope we pay him enough.
I find myself thinking that about almost everyone on staff, especially Tuioti, Held, and Beckton because they seem to be irreplaceable recruiters. I'm going to assume that each year is the last for Fisher, Walters, and Beckton so that I'm not as disappointed when they do leave.

I find myself thinking that about almost everyone on staff, especially Tuioti, Held, and Beckton because they seem to be irreplaceable recruiters. I'm going to assume that each year is the last for Fisher, Walters, and Beckton so that I'm not as disappointed when they do leave.

That’s the unfortunate downside of having great coaches in this day and age. The boys on staff are on year 4 of their brotherhood, swap Tuioti for Dawson. The best I can hope for us is that we continue at this pace - at most swap one coach every 3-4 years. That would constitute outstanding stability in my my mind.

Edit: After UCF knocked off Auburn and finished their undefeated season, I wonder how many offers came in to the coaching staff for jobs elsewhere? I think our 4-8 finish last year may have put a few of those calls on hold, but once we get things rolling in Lincoln, I'd assume the calls to steal coaches away will get rolling too. Hopefully Mr. Moos and the Payroll Department will share some of that B1G $$ with the assistant coaches and staffers each year to make staying in Lincoln more attractive than moving on...

Last edited:

I think we have a couple of things going for us. 1. Frost is on a long term deal and there's real stability here. 2. Cost of living and raising a family in Lincoln is a very good deal. No massive commute and no need to spend a million dollars on a house with a yard. 3. I think we've negotiated some good upside in their salaries so we can raise them over time and keep them intact as much as possible (and Moos seems to get that aspect of keeping a staff together).

I know we'll lose some, but I'm optimistic about the structure of the way Frost and Moos have put the staff together.

Also nice to see how they got such a good hire in Tuioti as their first replacement (he may already be an upgrade)

I think we have a couple of things going for us. 1. Frost is on a long term deal and there's real stability here. 2. Cost of living and raising a family in Lincoln is a very good deal. No massive commute and no need to spend a million dollars on a house with a yard. 3. I think we've negotiated some good upside in their salaries so we can raise them over time and keep them intact as much as possible (and Moos seems to get that aspect of keeping a staff together).

I know we'll lose some, but I'm optimistic about the structure of the way Frost and Moos have put the staff together.

Also nice to see how they got such a good hire in Tuioti as their first replacement (he may already be an upgrade)
I agree with all that you said, but that was already factored into the ones that I mentioned as being close to leaving: Walters, Fisher, and Beckton. Walters was hoping to get the UCF job when Frost left, and he's only at Nebraska because they hired Heupel instead. Fisher and Beckton went to UCF and only ever coached there, and both have mentioned that their families didn't want to leave Florida. It's not hard to imagine one or both getting a job back at UCF. It's actually not outlandish to imagine Walters being the head coach there in a short while if Heupel gets an offer to move up, and Fisher and Beckton could go with him.

I don't see Held, Verduzco, or Austin leaving until Frost does, or they retire. Ruud has said that he wants to be a head coach someday, and that feeling doesn't go away. Chinander has said the same, and he's going to get some great offers, possibly as soon as this next season if they have the sort of defense that I think that they might. Tuioti and DeWitt are tougher to predict.

Frank Verducci does a lot more than most people realize, and he'll get a better job as well, but it might be at Nebraska if Beckton leaves.

I agree with all that you said, but that was already factored into the ones that I mentioned as being close to leaving: Walters, Fisher, and Beckton. Walters was hoping to get the UCF job when Frost left, and he's only at Nebraska because they hired Heupel instead. Fisher and Beckton went to UCF and only ever coached there, and both have mentioned that their families didn't want to leave Florida. It's not hard to imagine one or both getting a job back at UCF. It's actually not outlandish to imagine Walters being the head coach there in a short while if Heupel gets an offer to move up, and Fisher and Beckton could go with him.

I don't see Held, Verduzco, or Austin leaving until Frost does, or they retire. Ruud has said that he wants to be a head coach someday, and that feeling doesn't go away. Chinander has said the same, and he's going to get some great offers, possibly as soon as this next season if they have the sort of defense that I think that they might. Tuioti and DeWitt are tougher to predict.

Frank Verducci does a lot more than most people realize, and he'll get a better job as well, but it might be at Nebraska if Beckton leaves.
Good post & it's the very reason we need to win sooner than later. Winning makes NU very attractive for the current staff as well as top of the line replacements.

Players like Mills can make the difference. Heck any of the recruits we get can make all the difference in the world. Let's hope they're all as good as advertised. :nod:

Good post & it's the very reason we need to win sooner than later. Winning makes NU very attractive for the current staff as well as top of the line replacements.

Players like Mills can make the difference. Heck any of the recruits we get can make all the difference in the world. Let's hope they're all as good as advertised. :nod:
Great line play will make most RB look good. Phillips and Green were the top of the top. But, they also had a hellishly good offensive line in front of them.

Last edited:

Great line play will make most RB look good. Phillips and Green were the top of the top. But, they also had a hellishly good offensive line in front of them.
Bingo. Tough for great backfield to shine no matter how awesome when you don't have the hogs to give them creases of daylight. Our top RB performers always had above average hogs in front to give them a chance.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back