• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bill Moos is considering allowing alcohol at Husker football games in the suites and loge levels.

I can tell you this. I work at a Stadium for a pro football team that sells alcohol to everyone and every game several I would say 30 to 40 people are arrested or removed from the stadium due to acting like a jack wagon in one way or another and that's just the area I work in. All these incidents have 1 thing in common and that is alcohol. Lets face it alot of people cant drink reasonably fuel that with the spirt of competition and it just bad.

When that same Stadium host a college game even a strong rivialy game with no alcohol problems are almost none.

I dont think its a positive move. DONU doesn't need the coin or the headache.

Interesting. Is there an uproar at Ohio State, Michigan state, Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers, and Wisconsin about inequality due to only selling in premium seating? Seems like that’s how sports have worked for years to me, right? Pay more, get a better seat, view, amenities.

I understand your point, but it’s usually ‘better’ rather than ‘not at all’.

I can tell you this. I work at a Stadium for a pro football team that sells alcohol to everyone and every game several I would say 30 to 40 people are arrested or removed from the stadium due to acting like a jack wagon in one way or another and that's just the area I work in. All these incidents have 1 thing in common and that is alcohol. Lets face it alot of people cant drink reasonably fuel that with the spirt of competition and it just bad.

When that same Stadium host a college game even a strong rivialy game with no alcohol problems are almost none.

Nice to hear a point of view with no skin in the game. If Nebraska wins games the alcohol issue may just go away. (somewhat)

I'm fine if they do it this way but it's not like our fan base is like CU. If they introduced beer to the stadium I don't think we'd go from the "nicest" or whatever fans in the nation to anarchy. There are hammered people at every game, we still have our share of "bad" fans. But those same people are sneaking in hard liquor into the stadium, so this is probably only an issue with mostly casual/light drinkers, or people morally opposed to sneaking in booze. Idk, whatever Moos decides I'll live with.

Last edited:
havent had a drink in 36 years and there is a good reason for that. when i did drink would never drink at family reunions, hunting, or football games as i always wanted to be clear for those events. cant remember going to a nebraska game without noticing someone around me drinking and cant remember seeing someone getting kicked out who wasn't totally obliterated. could care less if the university sold alcohol in a more controlled manner vs. sneaking in. driving home afterwards is a completely different animal as it has always been. not even sure how they do it at pinnacle? do know people drive like crazy birds after a rockies game.

I figure if you or your company is forking over $75k a year for a suite, you should be able to entertain your guests how you see fit. If that includes stocking a bar so be it. If you were to bring alcohol out to the masses I do kinda like the beer garden idea. Problem is still being able to view the game and the hundreds if not thousands that would be milling around the garden drinking a beer and trying to watch the game. I have a good friend with a suite and make it back for one home game to watch in style. Truth be told, I don't enjoy it. I feel like I lose the atmosphere and then ultimately spend more time socializing and drinking than watching the game.

Really serves no purpose and I think the negatives outweigh the positives. I think Bill used 'ammenities' and fan experience. I don't see how the alcohol will improve anything unless we are getting kicked to the curb like the past, but I can't see that happening anymore.
There's one other group of people who could potentially benefit from having alcohol available: ugly people looking for love at Memorial Stadium. There might not be a more potent aphrodisiac than watching the Huskers win while imbibing. Going back to what *** said about kings, queens, and knights looking down on the peasants, alcohol is also the great equalizer in giving a peasant a shot at a "queen." (That's true on at least two levels, fwiw.)

How many places that sell beer have #3 as a problem?
Are you serious? Did you Google that before asking?

That's just what happens to be listed first. It's definitely worse at basketball games or similar venues where the fans are closer to the action, but if you've never seen a fan do something stupid with beer at a sporting event, I commend you, my friend, because you've lived a charmed life.

Last edited:
Are you serious? Did you Google that before asking?

That's just what happens to be listed first. It's definitely worse at basketball games or similar venues where the fans are closer to the action, but if you've never seen a fan do something stupid with beer at a sporting event, I commend you, my friend, because you've lived a charmed life.
I know it happens, but my point is, is it really a big problem? I don't hear of it happening very often, especially at football games. I just don't think it would be very likely to happen at Memorial.

I know it happens, but my point is, is it really a big problem? I don't hear of it happening very often, especially at football games. I just don't think it would be very likely to happen at Memorial.
Exactly. Everyone likes to pat themselves on their backs about how "Nebraska nice" we are, but now we are a bunch of drunken hooligans who can't control themselves?

I don't think the University needs the money so from that stand point I don't think having alcohol in the stadium is needed. From the stand point that a lot of people do business in the suites etc. on game day I don't have a problem with it. Personally, not really a good image to portray, and I think the 3 1/2 hours of game is good to have people sober up a bit before they go home.

I guess the decision will be made far above my head so I don't think losing any sleep over this decision will happen and I don't think it is worth getting up in arms about, I am more worried about winning games, so I guess what ever.
It’s probably less about money and more about amenities for the stadium. Remember it’s getting harder and harder to get people to come to stadiums in this TV-intense environment. Getting people to buy skyboxes also comes with its challenges. Allowing alcohol would eliminate one of the reasons for people to not do those things.

I thought alcohol was already allowed in the suites? Isn't there a company that delivers it "covered" so you can't see it but everyone knows it's in there?

I would prefer it to be sold to everyone because it has been shown to decrease binge drinking. Some people aren't sure about the results (mostly from W. Virginia) but even they admit that in stadium sales haven't made things worse.

So if there is a chance that binge drinking lessens, why not take it?
Don’t you think the majority of binge drinking is students and allowing sales in the stadium is not going change that. Most binge drinking is done while tailgating before the game.

Must be Philly!,

Don’t you think the majority of binge drinking is students and allowing sales in the stadium is not going change that. Most binge drinking is done while tailgating before the game.
I don't think most binge drinking is students, I think it's a good majority of tailgaters.

Even if it is students, they will find someone to buy them a beer inside with no problems.

Like I said, some places that have done it are reporting it's helped. I understand it sounds counterintuitive to some degree but if it works, why not do it?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back