• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bill Moos is considering allowing alcohol at Husker football games in the suites and loge levels.

I appreciate that dynamic, but that's not what how average fan would view a decision for box suites only, and that's the point I was trying to make.
NO I get it. You and a couple others had paraphrasing here asked, why only "rich guys". I was just giving one possible reason why.

I thought alcohol was already allowed in the suites? Isn't there a company that delivers it "covered" so you can't see it but everyone knows it's in there?

I would prefer it to be sold to everyone because it has been shown to decrease binge drinking. Some people aren't sure about the results (mostly from W. Virginia) but even they admit that in stadium sales haven't made things worse.

So if there is a chance that binge drinking lessens, why not take it?

NO I get it. You and a couple others had paraphrasing here asked, why only "rich guys". I was just giving one possible reason why.
That may be a valid concern but it is not even on the radar of reasons for why a school would allow alcohol in the suites but not the general population. Let's face it, us commoners don't enjoy the same benefits that big dollar boosters enjoy. They are getting alcohol in the suites now and I can probably enjoy my Jack and Coke in the East Stadium as well. I don't lose a whole lot of sleep over it and am shocked that alcohol must be sneaked into the suites currently. I've watched 3 or 4 games from suites and they always were well stocked.

Here's what we mostly all want:
  1. More revenue;
  2. Better game experience for everyone;
  3. Nobody throwing beer in the stands or on the field.
If you can figure out how to do all three with alcohol, go for it. Feeling like you're being cheated because someone in the suites has alcohol and you don't? Seriously? It's a suite. It's expensive. They have A LOT of things that you don't. Like has already been said, you know that they already have it anyway, so why not charge them for it at stadium-inflated rates. How about some $500 bottles of wine in the suites and serve some single-malt scotch selections at $100/glass? You can make that available everywhere. As long as they don't get a hold of the glass containers, nobody is throwing high-dollar alcohol onto the field.

More than anything, I don't want the negative images of beer being spilled, thrown, etc. If a beer garden as an option would provide that, that seems cool.

Last edited:

Is there an uproar at professional sports venues that make beer available to everyone? Seems like they've sold beer for years, right?
I don't know about uproars at other places. Maybe you should ask them. Just because someone doesn't get outraged or create an uproar about something, doesn't mean that decision is right. Some people just simply accept what they cannot control. But that doesn't mean they agree with it.
Your response seems a little “im rubber your glue” to me. Long and short of it is this isn’t an equality issue and the majority of places only offer alcohol to premium seating, and there’s a reason for it. It’s not like Moos is trying to give the Kings, Queens, and Knights their wine while they look down at their peasants and laugh. He’s trying to keep it in a controlled environment.

I don't really care that much, but not everyone can afford those type of premium seats/suites. Many could afford a beer or two extra though. I get what you're saying, but why not make it stadium wide if they're going to allow the wealthy to do it?
I agree. I think Moos should have phrased it differently. In my line of work, we always have a beta site to test things and work the bugs out before launching nationwide. If Moos would have just said “we are exploring alcohol sales in a restricted spot in memorial stadium to see what issues would arise and what kinks need to be worked out and move from there” I think this would be looked at differently.

But I get the inability to afford the seats. Just got word that I can sit in the alcohol section in Colorado for 400 or so dollars but can get a regular seat closer to 150. That’s a big difference.

I appreciate that dynamic, but that's not what how average fan would view a decision for box suites only, and that's the point I was trying to make.

I think you have a legit comment and about 10-15 years ago I didn't think it was fair either, now I really don't care and I am an average fan I am also almost 50.

Again for the record, I don't think there needs to be alcohol allowed in the stadium. Really serves no purpose and I think the negatives outweigh the positives. I think Bill used 'ammenities' and fan experience. I don't see how the alcohol will improve anything unless we are getting kicked to the curb like the past, but I can't see that happening anymore.

Your response seems a little “im rubber your glue” to me. Long and short of it is this isn’t an equality issue and the majority of places only offer alcohol to premium seating, and there’s a reason for it. It’s not like Moos is trying to give the Kings, Queens, and Knights their wine while they look down at their peasants and laugh. He’s trying to keep it in a controlled environment.
Well, it seemed your response was implying I was in an uproar.
And this has nothing to with Moos.
Clarify "majority of places". Don't most professional sports venues allow beer?
What kinds of problems do they have?
@NU_Alum made some good points, like maybe this would help curb binge drinking.
Whatever. Its just my opinion. I won't be in an uproar regardless how it goes.

Last edited:

I am in section 600, there aren't many people that look down at me. ;)

Last edited:
We have the most welcoming sporting environment in all of sports, and we are known far and wide for that, there is plenty of opportunity to consume beverages ahead of time, the local police are very accommodating to the tailgates. An increase in booze will usually only increase the problems within the stadium.... I dont see a benefit...... and I like to tailgate.

Here's what we mostly all want:
  1. More revenue;
  2. Better game experience for everyone;
  3. Nobody throwing beer in the stands or on the field.
If you can figure out how to do all three with alcohol, go for it. Feeling like you're being cheated because someone in the suites has alcohol and you don't? Seriously? It's a suite. It's expensive. They have A LOT of things that you don't. Like has already been said, you know that they already have it anyway, so why not charge them for it at stadium-inflated rates. How about some $500 bottles of wine in the suites and serve some single-malt scotch selections at $100/glass? You can make that available everywhere. As long as they don't get a hold of the glass containers, nobody is throwing high-dollar alcohol onto the field.

More than anything, I don't want the negative images of beer being spilled, thrown, etc. If a beer garden as an option would provide that, that seems cool.
How many places that sell beer have #3 as a problem?

I like the idea of selling alcohol in the stadium but clearly, there should be some rules/restrictions and hefty prices for those who imbibe to keep the drunks to a minimum. I could envision:

1. All alcohol purchased from the University at premium prices -- no one, including suite holders are allowed to bring in their alcohol.

2. Suite Licencing...perhaps even separate licencing for beer/wine vs hard liquor. The suite holders don't need to get an additional "perk" for free, but the university could perk them by allowing them greater purchasing options than the general public, though still at outrageous prices.

3. "beer garden" areas at the lowest levels of each stadium.

4. For non-suite customers (i.e. general public in grandstand seating), purchase of only one beer, wine or hard liquor mini-bottle at a time. All purchases at ground level. Usher stop anyone carrying more than one drink to their seat. Sky high pricing

- $12 per 12 ounce beer;
-$ 10 per hard liquor mini-bottle; and
- $25 per glass of cheap wine.

By keeping the prices high and the convenience level low, the university could turn a nice profit, allow those who truly want to drink at the game the ability to do so, and minimize the number of those who drink irresponsibly.

Last edited:

I get the controlled environment thing but at the end of the day it is totally about big money boosters and catering to their desires. I don't have an issue with it and as I mentioned I'm shocked that it currently isn't allowed. Their isn't any money being made by opening the policy to allow the select few to enjoy alcohol. The money will be made when you bring Bud or Miller in and let them compete for the business and let the university get a cut of a big pie. It's just like taxing the rich. You make a few people happy by doing it but there are only so many of them to take from. If you want to increase government revenues you must hit the many.

Well, it seemed your response was implying I was in an uproar.
And this has nothing to with Moos.
Clarify "majority of places". Don't most professional sports venues allow beer?
What kinds of problems do they have?
@NU_Alum made some good points, like maybe this would help curb binge drinking.
Whatever. Its just my opinion. I won't be in an uproar regardless how it goes.
Nah, not you uproar. Majority of places I meant most B1G stadiums that serve alcohol since many students are underage.

I just don’t think it needs to be all or nothing. But would love to be able to drink in the lower bowl because I don’t like the experience in the club area.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back