• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

All B1G Baseball Teams Announced

Congrats to Aaron Palensky and Cam Chick for earning 2nd team honors.

Player of the Year: Jordan Brewer, Michigan
Pitcher of the Year: Andrew Saalfrank, Indiana
Freshman of the Year: Maxwell Costes, Maryland
Coach of the Year: Jeff Mercer, Indiana
All-Big Ten First Team
C – Eli Wilson, Minnesota
1B – Maxwell Costes, Maryland
2B – Michael Massey, Illinois
SS – Jack Dunn, Northwestern
3B – Alex Erro, Northwestern
OF – Zac Taylor, Illinois
OF – Jordan Brewer, Michigan
OF – Dominic Canzone, Ohio State
SP – Andy Fisher, Illinois
SP – Andrew Saalfrank, Indiana
SP – Jeff Criswell, Michigan
RP – Garrett Acton, Illinois
DH – Jordan Nwogu, Michigan
At-Large – Matt Lloyd, Indiana
All-Big Ten Second Team
C – Dillon Dingler, Ohio State
1B – Scotty Bradley, Indiana
2B – Royce Ando, Michigan State
SS – Jack Blomgren, Michigan
3B – Cole Barr, Indiana
OF – Randy Bednar, Maryland
OF – Matt Gorski, Indiana
OF – Aaron Palensky, Nebraska
SP – Max Meyer, Minnesota
SP – Dante Biasi, Penn State
SP – Tevin Murray, Rutgers
RP – Grant Leonard, Iowa
DH – Cam Chick, Nebraska
At-Large – Brady Cherry, Ohio State
All-Big Ten Third Team
C – Joe Donovan, Michigan
1B – Jimmy Kerr, Michigan
2B – Shawn Goosenberg, Northwestern
SS – AJ Lee, Maryland
3B – Taylor Wright, Maryland
OF – Jack Yalowitz, Illinois
OF – Elijah Dunham, Indiana
OF – Jesse Franklin, Michigan
SP – Hunter Parsons, Maryland
SP – Karl Kauffmann, Michigan
SP – Seth Lonsway, Ohio State
RP – Bo Hofstra, Purdue
DH – Michael Pineiro, Maryland
At-Large – Cole McKenzie, Purdue
All-Big Ten Freshman Team
C – Michael Trautwein, Northwestern
1B – Maxwell Costes, Maryland
2B – Shawn Goosenberg, Northwestern
SS – Zach Dezenzo, Ohio State
3B – Justin Williams, Penn State
OF – Cam McDonald, Illinois
OF – Grant Richardson, Indiana
OF – Zaid Walker, Michigan State
SP – Michael Doherty, Northwestern
SP – Garrett Burhenn, Ohio State
SP – Seth Lonsway, Ohio State
RP – Willie Weiss, Michigan
DH – Cam Chick, Nebraska
At-Large – Michael Pineiro, Maryland
Sportsmanship Award Honorees
David Craan, Illinois
Drew Ashley, Indiana
Mitchell Boe, Iowa
Taylor Wright, Maryland
Jimmy Kerr, Michigan
Marty Bechina, Michigan State
Jeff Fasching, Minnesota
Joe Acker, Nebraska
Danny Katz, Northwestern
Ridge Winand, Ohio State
Blake Hodgens, Penn State
Bryce Bonner, Purdue
Tyler McNamara, Rutgers

Team 1st Team 2nd Team 3rd Team
Michigan 3 1 4
Indiana 2 3 1
Illinois 4 0 1
Maryland 1 0 3
Northwestern 2 0 1
Ohio State 1 2 1
Minnesota 1 1 0
Nebraska 0 1 1
Iowa 0 1 0
Michigan State 0 1 0
Penn State 0 1 0
Rutgers 0 1 0
Purdue 0 0 1

Last edited:
Was a really odd year. Northwestern who didn't even make the conference tournament had 2 guys on the 1st team list. Van Scoy from Illinois (Papillion, NE) who was 6th in the league in hitting, didn't make any team which is crazy to me. Our neighbors to the east, Iowa, only had 1 player on this list but they had a rough year losing both assistant coaches before the season began. They actually did better than I thought they would after hearing that.

Have to assume before Schwellenbach got injured he would have made a list, he played at about 75% the rest of the way. Gomes and him I feel should have at least got some love on the freshmen team. None of our pitchers selected for any team, which is what carried us for much of the season.

Last edited:
That's it? I swear I love Erstad to death, but, he needs to either hire better coaches, or he needs to be replaced. Nothing impressive about 2 second tier awards in this case.

That's it? I swear I love Erstad to death, but, he needs to either hire better coaches, or he needs to be replaced. Nothing impressive about 2 second tier awards in this case.
Probably need to get more, tough to disagree there.

But when I look at guys like Van Scoy not making it this year, Schreiber not making first team last year despite hitting .369 with 18 HRs, Wilkening not making 1st team last year despite hitting .372 with 9 HRs, it's tough for me to get mad at this point because I don't know what they are doing for these selections. Eddins went undefeated in conference (5-0) and got nothing. Henwood hit over .300 in conference and was unbelievable in the field, nothing. Do we not want them because they weren't even second tier award winners? Do we not want Schreiber or Wilkening last year because they were only second tier guys?

I think we need to say goodbye to Kirby tho. Mix something up.

Last edited:

Probably need to get more, tough to disagree there.

But when I look at guys like Van Scoy not making it this year, Schreiber not making first team last year despite hitting .369 with 18 HRs, Wilkening not making 1st team last year despite hitting .372 with 9 HRs, it's tough for me to get mad at this point because I don't know what they are doing for these selections. Eddins went undefeated in conference (5-0) and got nothing. Henwood hit over .300 in conference and was unbelievable in the field, nothing.

I think we need to say goodbye to Kirby tho. Mix something up.
Yeah, I get that. But at the same time, I don't get it. Nebraska should be a destination, in every sport, we should be LSU in baseball as we are or once were Nebraska in football.

Yeah, I get that. But at the same time, I don't get it. Nebraska should be a destination, in every sport, we should be LSU in baseball as we are or once were Nebraska in football.
We will never be LSU in baseball until we leave the conference, which isn't happening. Imagine if Saban was able to take the 28 kids per year he always does, but Frost due to B1G conference regulations could only take 15-20? Would we still expect Frost to get to where Saban is, or even hope that he could? Take a look at the past 4 year recruiting classes by quantity alone:

LSU Nebraska
2019 17 9
2018 16 11
2017 16 9
2016 15 8

That is a massive advantage, as LSU nearly flipped their entire roster over in 2 recruiting classes of 2018-2019. Coincidentally, the only year we got to double digit recruits, we had a nationally ranked recruiting class. Imagine if Erstad was able to take 5-8 more kids every class like LSU?

It's really hard to be consistently good in the B1G. But that doesn't excuse Erstad from what has happened in the B1G tourney the past few years. Hoping that these all-conference snubbings light a bit of a fire for the guys.

We will never be LSU in baseball until we leave the conference, which isn't happening. Imagine if Saban was able to take the 28 kids per year he always does, but Frost due to B1G conference regulations could only take 15-20? Would we still expect Frost to get to where Saban is, or even hope that he could? Take a look at the past 4 year recruiting classes by quantity alone:

LSU Nebraska
2019 17 9
2018 16 11
2017 16 9
2016 15 8

That is a massive advantage, as LSU nearly flipped their entire roster over in 2 recruiting classes of 2018-2019. Coincidentally, the only year we got to double digit recruits, we had a nationally ranked recruiting class. Imagine if Erstad was able to take 5-8 more kids every class like LSU?

It's really hard to be consistently good in the B1G. But that doesn't excuse Erstad from what has happened in the B1G tourney the past few years. Hoping that these all-conference snubbings light a bit of a fire for the guys.
Nice reply. I'm not as privy as I'd like to be, but now that we have that money status, and not advocating cheating, we should be able to recruit nationally, weather be damned.

Nice reply. I'm not as privy as I'd like to be, but now that we have that money status, and not advocating cheating, we should be able to recruit nationally, weather be damned.
Yep, the northern school I have read and been told actually isn't the problem. It's that we can only oversign by 1 scholarship spread over 2 players and LSU/A&M/Arkansas/Anyone can oversign by 12 if they want. Helps them get better high school players, helps protect themselves against players leaving early for the draft, etc. Don't get me wrong, we lose kids that want to go play in warmer climates, but many of them still want to be here.

I brought up the money thing in another thread and wondered if Nebraska could be a profit generator for the athletic department, as we are 750k in the hole currently with only paying Erstad 200k/year when the going rate is north of 500k if you want to be taken seriously to get a high-profile coach. But I forgot we share Haymarket park with the city, so we aren't getting full concessions either. I often thought since we are a northern school, we should expand the press boxes to get more seating that wasn't negatively effected by the weather. But you need to time it right, and have the contracts to businesses open up after conference titles like 2017.

Back to the conference all-tourney selections, we need to have better production for sure. But i'm hoping it lights a fire under our guys tonight.

So far, nice discussion guys. :Rockon:

It really bites that the B1G hinders their/our conference the way they do. :Bananalazy:

So far, nice discussion guys. :Rockon:

It really bites that the B1G hinders their/our conference the way they do. :Bananalazy:
We need to do better against our peers in this case, Indiana and Minnesota are playing by the same rules. With our recruiting class tho, I think we will see an uptick here the next couple years.

Really is frustrating tho that B1G admin just admit that it's a handicap but choose to do it anyway.

The limited signing classes have been discussed endlessly here on this site. My question is why was this ever put in place to begin with? Did other conferences begin with these limitations and eventually lift them?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back