• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fire Bill Moos

I was right.

Title IX does not require identical athletics programs for males and females. Rather, Title IX requires that the athletics programs meet the interests and abilities of each gender. Under Title IX, one team is not compared to the same team in each sport. OCR examines the total program afforded to male student-athletes and the total program afforded to female student-athletes and whether each program meets the standards of equal treatment. Title IX does not require that each team receive exactly the same services and supplies. Rather, Title IX requires that the men and women's program receive the same level of service, facilities, supplies and etc. Variations within the men and women's program are allowed, as long as the variations are justified.

Athletics programs are considered educational programs and activities. There are three basic parts of Title IX as it applies to athletics:
  1. Participation: Title IX requires that women and men be provided equitable opportunities to participate in sports. Title IX does not require institutions to offer identical sports but an equal opportunity to play;

C

Last edited:
That means the argument against men's hockey for the reason that women's hockey would loose money is irrelevant.

C

That means the argument against men's hockey for the reason that women's hockey would loose money is irrelevant.

C
I don't know that it's irrelevant. If you wanted to add men's hockey, there would need be something added to female sports with a similar participation level.

C
So where are you adding the schollies then. We are maxed out on the allowable scholarships we offer for our womens sports.

Exactly what I was saying, it can be any sport and does not have to be women's hockey.

C
Oh and in your straw man addition...what would the money making sport be that we would add for women. For the record I said both men and womens hockey are money losers.

Exactly what I was saying, it can be any sport and does not have to be women's hockey.

C

Lacrosse would be good, similar in size to a hockey team, and not very expensive. Its a Spring sport in the NCAA, so it could use the soccer field for games.

Lacrosse would be good, similar in size to a hockey team, and not very expensive. Its a Spring sport in the NCAA, so it could use the soccer field for games.

I mentioned field hockey earlier (Big 10 participates in this sport as well), but lacrosse wouldn't be bad. That being said I am not sure adding any sports where the net monetary is a loss is a good idea at this time.

I mentioned field hockey earlier (Big 10 participates in this sport as well), but lacrosse wouldn't be bad. That being said I am not sure adding any sports where the net monetary is a loss is a good idea at this time.
I am just not for adding a sport that has almost no following or history in the state.

So where are you adding the schollies then. We are maxed out on the allowable scholarships we offer for our womens sports.

Oh and in your straw man addition...what would the money making sport be that we would add for women. For the record I said both men and womens hockey are money losers.

No need to get defensive, there were many people talking about adding women's hockey and I was just pointing out that it does not have to be hockey.

C

Last edited:

C
See post #6 above:
"Rather, Title IX requires that the men and women's program receive the same level of service, facilities, supplies and etc. Variations within the men and women's program are allowed, as long as the variations are justified."

You can't add hockey for men with say 16 scholarships and spend $5M annually of coaches, facilities, travel ... and add a "cheaper" sport, say lacrosse, for women simply to comply to Title IX. Especially if you are not providing the same level of service, facilities, supplies and etc.

Last edited:
See post #6 above:
"Rather, Title IX requires that the men and women's program receive the same level of service, facilities, supplies and etc. Variations within the men and women's program are allowed, as long as the variations are justified."

You can't add hockey for men with say 16 scholarships and spend $5M annually of coaches, facilities, travel ... and add a "cheaper" sport, say lacrosse, for women simply to comply to Title IX. Especially if you are not providing the same level of service, facilities, supplies and etc.
:Sarcasm::Sarcasm::Sarcasm::Sarcasm::Sarcasm::Sarcasm::Sarcasm::Sarcasm::Sarcasm::Sarcasm::Sarcasm:

Maybe UNL should become an all Male University then we wouldn't have to worry about Title IX.

:Sarcastic::Sarcastic::Sarcastic::Sarcastic::Sarcastic::Sarcastic:

:Sarcasm::Sarcasm::Sarcasm::Sarcasm::Sarcasm::Sarcasm::Sarcasm::Sarcasm::Sarcasm::Sarcasm::Sarcasm:

Maybe UNL should become an all Male University then we wouldn't have to worry about Title IX.

:Sarcastic::Sarcastic::Sarcastic::Sarcastic::Sarcastic::Sarcastic:
If we made UNO all women it just might work.
thats-crazy-so-crazy-it-just-might-work.jpg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back